A GREAT book on Egyptian Tarot?

Scarlet27

So, I got this beautiful deck printed by Fournier of the egyptian Tarot, the thing is I have absolutely no idea of how to use it, and I don't have any books on the subject either, cause I've always used RWS or the Marseille, therefore this is a completely new field of study! xD

I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a book on this deck =)
I'd appreciate it, as many of you, I don't like buying books blindly.

Thank you! Have a lovely day.

rwcarter

Is there at least a LWB with the deck? I'm currently using Clive Barrett's Ancient Egyptian Tarot, which comes with a companion book. Even the companion book wasn't going into enough depth for me, so I'm also using:
  • a book he wrote on Egyptian Deities (that's why I asked about the LWB cause if you at least have an idea of what deity is depicted on the card, you can do a lot more research on your own)
  • books on deities in general
  • a book of world history
  • books on symbols
  • wikipedia
  • Egyptology-related websites

I don't know how similar your deck is to the AET, but some of the symbology might be similar between the two decks. If you go to the index of study groups, you'll find the one for the AET. All the Majors are there except for the World (which I will hopefully get posted tonight). Then I'm starting in on the Minors. You might also check to see if there's a study group for your particular deck.

HTH,
Rodney

Scion

Hey Scarlet,

First off, I'd recommend reading an excellent article by Mark Filipas called A History of Egyptian Tarot Decks which will give a sense of where your deck falls in the tradition.

If memory serves... and based on a quick reread of the above essay, the Fournier deck seems to be a mutation of the Egicios Kier deck which is a descendant of the Falconnier-Wegener pattern, which in turn comes from Paul Christian's essentially spurious Egyptian Tarot ceremony from History and Practice of Magic. Studying legitimate egyptology probably won't prove too useful, but learning about rhe French Occult revivals beliefs about esoteric Egypt probably would.

Check out the Filipas, though... It should answer some questions.

Scion

rachelcat

If it IS a Falconer-Wegner type, then you should take a look at C.C. Zain's Sacred Tarot book.

And the book for the Lo Scarabeo Egyptian deck. (I don't know if you can get it separate from the deck or not . . .)

Abrac

In an ideal world this deck would have a companion book, but I assume you have already checked on that with no luck.

There is a great deal of variety among Egyptian-styled Tarots but there is also a lot of commonality. Unfortunately I don't know of any one great book that stands out above all the others, but if you can find one for some other Egyptian-styled Tarot it would probably be helpful.

But before you buy a book, I would search for online resources like the Filipas site that Scion recommended. Here is a link to a site I have also found useful. There is some great information.

Early Occult Tarots