Most helpful books for beginners in your opinion?

Kathy24

After looking at what everyone posted about good beginner books, I have ordered and just received in today's mail The Tarot Bible by Sarah Bartlett and Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis. I have a good collection of books already, but adding these books looks like it will be well worth it. :)

Rob

Kathy24 said:
After looking at what everyone posted about good beginner books, I have ordered and just received in today's mail The Tarot Bible by Sarah Bartlett and Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis. I have a good collection of books already, but adding these books looks like it will be well worth it. :)

Those are both excellent books, and you'll find them very helpful in your Tarot journey. :)

Skydancer

Cannot go wrong with Rachel's Tarot Wisdom, or Magical World of the Tarot ~ 4-fold something of the universe. Joan Bunning's online course is where I started officially years ago. Mark McElroy's books are fun and very useful. Tarot plain and simple is good. Every book will be useful in some way - even if you end up just cutting out the pictures to make scrap books!! :party:

There is no one best book for beginners - we all learn and retain information in different ways. That's why books are traded around in here all the time. And although words in books remain the same on the pages, WE grow and change, so a book that was so-so one year will suddenly become a gold mine later on. Or vice versa. That's the nature of this game.

did that help any?
*S*

oh yeah - 21 ways to read a tarot card is really good too.
Oh - just found this (would help if I actually read through a thread before responding I suppose:
There’s this great one…I forget the title (it’s been in print for years)…

It’s a short book, only containing 78 pages.

Its not bound, so you can put the pages in any order you want and it changes the whole book! Its really cool!

And when you read it, it will create questions in your mind – and you research those questions and learn all kinds of new stuff!

I hope you can find a copy…it really is the only one you'll ever need.
That Umbrae guy - quite a character. I'm waiting for someone now to ask him which 78-page book author he likes the best. All things being equal, which they're not, I'm voiting for International Icon. You totally cannot go wrong with that one for teaching. I mean, learning. Once you get your feet wet, I mean really really really wet, then you can branch out.

It always amazes me when a "teacher" will turn and say, "So do you have any questions?" and all you are is questions. So many you don't know where to start. So - get a simple unaffected deck (II) or Rider and begin. After a while the questions will line themselves up nicely and you'll be an official "tarotnut" like the rest of us. Then you put up that big collection of books in the Trading Thread for the next newbie who finds this forum.

:)

Soothsayer

In my opinion, the best Tarot book for beginners is Tarot Made Easy by The Black Hart...

http://www.blackhart.co.uk/page106.html

Actually, it's a small booklet containing twenty or so pages; Fournier's Marseille deck is also included in the package.

I would urge any beginners to Tarot reading to seriously consider this excellent little booklet. The approach it takes is entirely different to any other method I have ever seen in other Tarot books and, most importantly of all, it actually works! As a complete beginner to Tarot with absolutely no prior knowledge whatsoever, I read TME and within a day I had grasped the basics and felt confident that I had a firm foundation of the fundamentals.

I cannot recommend this enough to the newcomer; and if you don't agree with my verdict having read the booklet, then the nice man who runs the website will even give you a full refund! That's what I call a cast iron guarantee - you have nothing to lose.

Check out this link for much more info and a detailed review...

http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic20433.php

Teacups

When the "mystic dreamer" tarot set came out, it was my opinion that the book would make an excellent introduction for a beginner. The whole set, IMO would be a great starter set. And I still think so.... good gift idea for a new reader. :)

marimorimo

My very first tarot book was Joan Bunning's "Learning the Tarot." I highly recommend it, and it seems to be a very popular book based on previous posts. I checked out every single Tarot-related book in the bookstore (including The 2-hour tarot tutor), but this one stood out as being the best for my needs at that time. Another book that I think is very helpful is James Riclef's "Tarot Tells the Tale." I think it is a very good complement to any other basic tarot book. I wish I had bought "Tarot Tells the Tale" earlier!

Crescent

Teacups said:
When the "mystic dreamer" tarot set came out, it was my opinion that the book would make an excellent introduction for a beginner. The whole set, IMO would be a great starter set. And I still think so.... good gift idea for a new reader. :)

In total agreement with Teacups..

tarotbear

My favorite beginner's book is "It's All in the Cards; Tarot Reading Made Easy", but then, I'm sure some of you saw that one coming ....

Kathy24

Teacups said:

You are right Teacups! I have been using the Universal RW to learn tarot, but I just got my Mystic Dreamer deck about a week ago and I love it. It is an excellent deck for beginners (like me :p) to learn from. I also use the companion books for all three decks. Now I switch between the URW, Robin Wood and the Mystic Dreamer decks and find that all 3 decks provide so much info to learn and I'm having fun with the decks. :)

Soothsayer

I'm surprised there has been no mention of Mark McElroy's Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot. Solandia has written a very favourable review here at AT and it has also got very good reviews on Amazon. As a beginnner myself, it is the next book on my wishlist.