what kind of choice is the two of wands?

no_moon

I've been having this card come up for me a lot lately in my life as the near future actions a friend will take regarding communication with me. I have been waiting on her reply for a long time and kind of getting worried... Anyway, it seems from this that she is deciding, so hopefully something will happen.

When this card came up though, I began thinking about the card in general and realized I had no idea what kind of choice the two of wands means. Is there an implication about the type of choice with the two of wands, as with the lovers (intuition) or justice (logic)? Or is it just about energy split and choosing where to invest that energy, without either logic or intuition involved?

sharpchick

I don't know what deck you are using. . .In this 2 of Wands, I see a doorway of new possibilities, not just a choice between one or two things.

Attachments

• 2 of Wands.jpg
    2 of Wands.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 9,897

Mellifluous

It's a choice about which path to take in life. From here do you go this way or that way?

I don't think it's possible to make any kind of choice without either logic or intuition involved... it's pretty much always both, isn't it?

berrieh

I see the 2 of Wands as a choice between two positive paths. Though it perhaps inspires a 'grass is greener' (if you pick one, you'll wish you chose the other, no matter which you picked, just 'cause you didn't pick it) mentality.

Also, I usually get it as a choice that's already been made on some level, a path that's already been set in motion. Positive change that requires sacrificing other opportunities, which were also positive.

(I see it kind of like the mirror image of the 2 of Swords, where action is suspended and no choice is made, where both choices are bad. Yet a choice must be made, and you can't combine things, as in the 2 of Cups, or do it all, as in the 2 of Pentacles. Some road gets left un-taken.)

Thirteen

no_moon said:
I've been having this card come up for me a lot lately in my life as the near future actions a friend will take regarding communication with me. I have been waiting on her reply for a long time and kind of getting worried... Anyway, it seems from this that she is deciding, so hopefully something will happen....Is there an implication about the type of choice with the two of wands, as with the lovers (intuition) or justice (logic)? Or is it just about energy split and choosing where to invest that energy, without either logic or intuition involved?
I don't know if your friend is deciding so much as "decided." 2/Wands often shows a person grabbing one of two wands, and doing so decisively. And yes, it's about investing your energy. And yes, I think it can avoid both intuition and logic--if you go for a passion. Imagine a girl who sees a guy and she knows he's bad news. Her logic says so. Her intuition says so. But her passion says "Go for it!" That bypasses both, now, doesn't it?

What's most important, however, is that you hope to build something larger from this choice. Lovers is a choice that you make without thinking about the future. You don't think, "I'll marry this person, we'll have kids, we'll buy a home..." You just think, "I need this person in my life no matter what happens." And maybe something awful will happen (like divorce from your current partner and custody battles over the kids!)--but you still know you wouldn't be complete if you failed to pick this person.

But with 2/Wands you say, "If I pick this, I can then go on to do x, y, and z with it. This is my future." Like an artist picking out their first paintbrush for their future as an artist. Or a student deciding to be a math major, that's their future there, something they can build on. Or investing in one company over another, even picking a pair of walking shoes so you can go places.

Lovers is an instinctive choice that completes you. You must have this thing or person or feel empty. Justice is simply doing what's right and fair. But 2/Wands is setting yourself on a future path. Deciding what will get your attention, and energy and time, what you will build upon. Like picking out the first stick of a house you plan to build. Once you've done that, you're committed yourself to building that house with this type of wood. And now it's got your attention, your time, and your energy.

Which is why I wonder if your friend hasn't already chosen. If she has, it's possible that she's decided not to put her energy or future in you. I hope not, but you should be ready for that possibility.

willowfox

In your question I see that she has already made up her mind as to what to do, and is now waiting for the right moment to call. It is almost as if she is contemplating the issue, deciding what to say perhaps.

The crowned one

Funny I was just studying this card tonight.

Without knowing what the communication was about I can only generalize.

My first thought was an overload and the word "conflict" comes to mind. She is in conflict perhaps.

Bold is often associated with this card. I think what ever the answer it will be resolute and final. This is one of these "two" choices cards.

balenciaga

The crowned one said:
She is in conflict perhaps.

But if she was conflicted, wouldn't she be more 2 swords? 2 wands looks like her mind is made up, and she is holding the world in her hands, rather, the ball is in her court - never mind the metaphors:) it is her turn to act.

celticnoodle

I agree with you, balenciaga. I see this card as saying the decision is made and 'she/he is holding the world in their hands'. in fact, i feel with this card that they are even secure with the decision they made--feeling it was the right one to make.

The crowned one

balenciaga said:
But if she was conflicted, wouldn't she be more 2 swords? 2 wands looks like her mind is made up, and she is holding the world in her hands, rather, the ball is in her court - never mind the metaphors:) it is her turn to act.

Being in conflict is a form of decision making.

Etteilla (disagreement), Mathers(exert power), Golden Dawn((resolution) and Waite (good and bad) all suggest through their interpretations a form of conflict can be had with this card. I too can see that in this card under certain circumstances I would read it as a form of conflict. It is the process( bold plans) not the decision. (as I see it ;))

Two of swords would be more like a stalemate or truce rather then a conflict when I read.