1-time January Rune Circle? Plus great Rune threads...

silverwings94

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
Oh I loved the yellow cedar! Of course I love anything cedar!
When hubby cut down a huge cedar on the property some years back, I wanted to do so much with it. But not having the tools to do it, I had to forget my fantasy!
I even joked about him doing a totem pole. :eek:)

I have ordered my set . Hubby okayed it and its going to be my birthday/Yule gift.Seeing that he had no idea what to get me for my birthday(other than my 22 qt. roaster oven), so I figured why not have him get me these beautiful runes.
Oh the totem pole would have been awesome. I'd love to have one here, but I think the neighbors would think I'm a little nuts.

AJ

What can I say, I have fabric in my blood

I just made my version of the Eason throw cloth. It isn't hemmed yet, I'm thinking about using some kind of piping or fringe so there is a bump at the edge to keep power throws from sliding off...:)
Would have been much easier to just draw three circles on a piece of paper, but not nearly as nice.

It will finish at about 18 inches

Attachments

• 33724.JPG
    33724.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 174

silverwings94

AJ said:

I just made my version of the Eason throw cloth. It isn't hemmed yet, I'm thinking about using some kind of piping or fringe so there is a bump at the edge to keep power throws from sliding off...:)
Would have been much easier to just draw three circles on a piece of paper, but not nearly as nice.

Its beautiful. I wish I was that talented. What a great idea about the edging, I never would have thought of that.
Now you have my mind working.
I can't wait till my pewter runes get here, also my set from WalesWoman. What a great Yule this is going to be for me.

Barbaras Ahajusts

AJ said:

I'm setting here wondering how to use a cloth rope to edge a cloth like yours! Even a zigzag stick using the sewing machine wouldn't be enough to attach the size I have in mind.

BTW, your cloth is so very creative! Nice job!;)

AJ

I love to appliqué although strictly speaking this was reverse appliqué.

Barbara, commercial piping comes with a cloth extension on it which you normally stitch into the seam allowance. to use some kind of rope or hemp or plain trim you would have to maybe use invisible thread and attach it to your fabric (burlap would be awesome with wood runes). You could also use fabric glue depending on how stiff the trim was...if it was very big diameter it would probably pop off the glue when folded.

I made a burlap deck bag for Scion a year or so ago with antique leather button for a close. For a New York city boy he probably didn't know quite what to make of it ;) It was for his Druidcraft.

Stormdancer

That throw cloth is Beautiful, AJ, but what is the meaning of the 3 circles?

Stormdancer

Gotta go to work, but I have another newbie kinda question. What is difference between rune "staves" and regular runes? Is it just a matter of the size? Which do people prefer? And then questions about nordic vs anglo saxon, but there are other places I can check that all out at tonight.

Barbaras Ahajusts

AJ said:
I love to appliqué although strictly speaking this was reverse appliqué.

Barbara, commercial piping comes with a cloth extension on it which you normally stitch into the seam allowance. to use some kind of rope or hemp or plain trim you would have to maybe use invisible thread and attach it to your fabric (burlap would be awesome with wood runes). You could also use fabric glue depending on how stiff the trim was...if it was very big diameter it would probably pop off the glue when folded.

I made a burlap deck bag for Scion a year or so ago with antique leather button for a close. For a New York city boy he probably didn't know quite what to make of it ;) It was for his Druidcraft.

Now that you mention it, I have seen commercial piping like that! Sewing it on would be so much more better.
I bet Scion's bag was cool looking! It sure sounds like it!:D

stormdancer339, on another page, there is a post talking about Eason's rune book & the three sizes of the circles. It's post #50...
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2095311&postcount=50

Mellaenn

I'm going to add another rune set; I've decided to make a set. I was thinking it might be easy to make a set of runes by getting a bag of those glass pebbles that you use to put into vases and then inscribing them with a sharpie. So I bought a bag of the blue and aqua pebbles and a metallic silver sharpie and voila! Runes a la Mellaenn! :grin:

The only thing I'm concerned about is that the runes might rub off. Maybe I can paint them over with clear nail polish to set them. But I'll try them first.

AJ

Canid has a thread somewhere where she showed hers and said what she used, seems like glass paint for the lettering and clear acrylic for the covering. I bought some of those too, about the size of a silver dollar in a blue green. but they are at home and I'm not, for I don't know how long.