1-time January Rune Circle? Plus great Rune threads...

silverwings94

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
Oh my.
With some leather tools one could go to town on an old leather belt with a gorgeous design on the other side! I like it!

I love the sounds of this. maybe hubby would give up one of his leather belts for an experiment.
What kind of tools would one need to do this.?

Barbaras Ahajusts

silverwings94 said:
I love the sounds of this. maybe hubby would give up one of his leather belts for an experiment.
What kind of tools would one need to do this.?
The only ones I have seen heat up & you burn a design into the leather.

AJ

Ooo, what an idea. There are some stunning tooled leather purses where I get my goat and chicken food. all Western theme and I always think to myself what a huge market they are missing with those of us that aren't cowgirls.

I read the Jon Tremaine book last night, it has some great ideas for fleshing out a reading by adding a 4 slice pie section to the center of the casting cloth for the four elements (I think I can do this with my gold paint pen) and over that a 12 section pie for the months if you want to go crazy with timings.

Because the book is a small but sturdy hardcover I'm adding my notes from the Eason book to the pages and am thinking it may evolve into an altered book runes journal.

I hope you all are having as much fun with this as I am.

Tooled leather runes...ahhhhh. Maybe a celtic wreath of some kind around the edge. Or punched with a woven something around the edge. and a leather throw cloth...My lima beans are going to make a poor showing, maybe I'd better soak them and see what grows out of that idea :)

Stormdancer

OKAY...I have a question. What do y'all use as a "spread cloth" if you use one. I can't remember who posted a pict of a beautiful one, but since I hadn't read the book, I had no idea what it meant. Does anyone else use a "spread cloth" with a particular design? For some reason I like this idea but I have no idea what my idea is :confused: I am confusing myself, can you tell??? :D

My other question is...since I am a complete beginner to runes, should I just stick with the Norse ones rather than the Anglo Saxon ones? I do NOT mean to start anything, but I am curious what some of you are doing. I guess since my deck/book sets are norse, I should stick with those for now, and if I want to expand I can????

Barbaras Ahajusts

stormdancer339 said:
OKAY...I have a question. What do y'all use as a "spread cloth" if you use one. I can't remember who posted a pict of a beautiful one, but since I hadn't read the book, I had no idea what it meant. Does anyone else use a "spread cloth" with a particular design? For some reason I like this idea but I have no idea what my idea is :confused: I am confusing myself, can you tell??? :D

My other question is...since I am a complete beginner to runes, should I just stick with the Norse ones rather than the Anglo Saxon ones? I do NOT mean to start anything, but I am curious what some of you are doing. I guess since my deck/book sets are norse, I should stick with those for now, and if I want to expand I can????
I don't use a spread cloth..my oldest daughter would cringe at that. She gives the runes respect. I say it's the basic discript & what your gut says.
I don't even stick with one taught style! I use a 3, 7 or whatever layout. It's what I chose to do.
To a dye hard rune student, they would tell you stick to what you have learned, one style.
But me....well I am intuitive. So I don't care what anyone says.:laugh: I mix everyones teachings on the runes. A rune master would hate me!:D
Do what you feel comfortable with!!!

Stormdancer

OH MY...this is about to get alot more complicated for me :bugeyed:

I thought that to "throw the runes" meant throwing them ALL and seeing/interpreting where they landed, both on a cloth and in relation to each other.

I now see that what you and many other may do is to "draw" a number of runes and interpret those.

****feeling the pressure building inside my skull....countdown to explosion****

LOL....just Kidding :D

Now that I've just grasped something...I don't know what, but I have it firmly in hand...If I plan to "throw" them...less would probably be better.

Barbaras Ahajusts

stormdancer339 said:
OH MY...this is about to get alot more complicated for me :bugeyed:

I thought that to "throw the runes" meant throwing them ALL and seeing/interpreting where they landed, both on a cloth and in relation to each other.

I now see that what you and many other may do is to "draw" a number of runes and interpret those.

****feeling the pressure building inside my skull....countdown to explosion****

LOL....just Kidding :D

Now that I've just grasped something...I don't know what, but I have it firmly in hand...If I plan to "throw" them...less would probably be better.
My daughter has me reach into her bag & daintly grab & toss the runes onto carpet.
NOT ME!:D:D:D
But she has her style, & I am the damn hippie!

The throw scarf that was shared with us in those pictures were to be used to throw the runes onto. So it's how you want to do it! Or if someone says to do it this way for a particular reading group. Other than that...I don't care to be held to one style! :)

Emily

I think with these Runes, there are not going to be any hard or fast rules. We've found out that they can be made out of practically anything that feels right - I'm playing with the idea of making a cardboard practise set and putting them through a laminator - the Rune markings are very easy to draw, all straight lines.

I sat doodling this morning on a scrap piece of paper to see how many I could remember and I got as far as 11 - for me, the harder part is trying to decide what to call them, each book I have pronounces the Runes differently and I seem to be swapping from each one so I have to decide what to call them or just go with the easy option of Ice, Horse, Man, Gift, Joy,etc. Which seems to make a lot of sense when I see it written down LOL :)

crystal dawn

Will there be any threads on runic astrology?

count me in if its not too late. Will there be any threads on runic astrology?

AJ

Hi Crystal, welcome, no it is absolutely not too late, I haven't even started the official thread yet :) and this is the 'kitchen sink' rune thread so there will be thoughts about runic astrology if you add it to the mix. this is a very open minded group, mostly we are only beginning to formulate our personal runic philosophy.

Stormdancer, keep it simple, do it your way, whichever way and whatever style of runes you choose.

I don't know which post it was but one of mine has my unfinished spread cloth, look back through the thread for my golden door avatar

Up until I started this thread and really began to look into using runes 'for real' I have pulled my pewter runes from their beautiful bag, Usually three, just because I usually do three card tarot readings, and laid them up right and thunk upon them.

After I read the Eason book I liked the idea of the spread cloth because it gives me more things to go by.
She suggested simply taking a plain napkin (you could even use a paper towel if you fall in the Lima bean group), and draw 3 circles on it. I think the runes in the center circle were immediate, 2nd circle near future, outer circle...humm...something missed? Whatever, it would be what YOU meant it to stand for, which you've decided ahead of time.

The element pie and the 12 month pie were two additional ways to 'get more' from the runes.

If I weren't dead on my feet and actually getting ready to go to bed at the ungodly hour of 10:30 AM I'd practice today...throwing, dropping, thinking about reversals...not all runes are reversible, so rather than read the face up ones as potential reversals, I intend to read any that fall upside down as reversed. I don't use reversals in tarot, but it seems right for runes.

Nite nite..