Tarocchi Italiano (Dotti)

sapienza

Anyone have this deck? I'm a big fan of the Ancient Italian and this one seems to be quite similar. It looks divine. Here are some scans from tarot garden:

(http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/i-decks/italianocards.gif).

Curious to hear any opinions. I've heard very little about it and have searched but can't find any other threads discussing this particular deck. Not that I need any more on my wishlist :)

Le Fanu

Is this going to be one one of our crazy/mass hysteria Italian threads? Hope so! :D More enabling please...

I have this deck, but I have the version by Laura Tuan published by Ed. Vecchio. It is a version of the"Grand Dotti". Meneghello also publish a version, a 78 card version and also a set called the "Grand Dotti" Majors only.

The Laura Tuan version has very big cards, nice cardstock, square corners which instantly beg to be rounded. If you want, I can find a link to this edition (but no time now, rushing out to work!)

It is a nice deck, but I find that there is something a little "off" about the anatomy. The figure drawing just isn't of the same calibre as the Ancient Italian / Soprafino. You can tell a little from the Star card in the scans which you linked. I believe that the tarot publishing house which originally published this deck were rivals to Gumppenberg and wanted to do a similar decks as the Gumppenberg which had been a big success at the time. You can feel that this is a 2nd rate Soprafino. Lovely to have, worth buying, worth being enabled on etc etc :)

What I love about the Laura Tuan/ Vecchio edition is the size. The RWS fans have their Giant RWS decks. We Soprafino fans have the Grand Dotti "for study purposes" !

Alan Ross

For more on how the Dotti and the original Soprafino (Carlo Della Rocca) compare, the following is interesting:

http://www.tarothermit.com/milanese.htm

I would love to have a copy of the Dotti. For that matter, I would love to have a copy of Carlo Della Rocca's original. I once thought the Solleone I have (Tarocchino Lombardo) was a copy of the original Soprafino, but I stumbled on an old thread that revealed that the Solleone is actually a reproduction of a late 19th century copy of the Soprafino :(. I'm becoming obsessed with these Italian decks.

Alan

Freddie

Good info on a cool deck!

I'M NOT BUYING ONE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I'M NOT BUYING ONE.......................I'M NOT BUYING ONE...........................................................I'M NOT BUYING ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freddie

SolSionnach

This one doesn't appeal to me at all. I have the AIT (TWO COPIES :bugeyed:), why would I need this one, especially if it's one of those too-precious-to-use Meneghellos?

BAH!!!

Hie thee to the deenabling thread, and prepare for Gregory's noodles!

faunabay

OMG!!!!! (said disgustedly) I am NOT looking at this!!!! ROFL

Actually I am OK with it. I'm not, at least right now that is LOL, interested in getting this one. I mean I haven't even gotten my Ancient Italian yet! :laugh:

Debra

Stop stop stop.

Now we must decide if we prefer the lobster on the plate.

:p

magpie9

I myself prefer all Lobsters on plates. However, considering the bilious sky and vibrating dogs in attendance, I suspect salmonella poisoning is a strong probability in this card.

Le Fanu

sravana said:
This one doesn't appeal to me at all. I have the AIT (TWO COPIES :bugeyed:), why would I need this one, especially if it's one of those too-precious-to-use Meneghellos?

There is the Meneghello edition, but also - as I said - the Vecchio edition of the Dotti. However, as the figure drawing is just not so accomplished as the other Italian decks, it tends to get left on the shelf.

The ugly Soprafino cousin waif...

(but still worth having if you're a compulsive shopper like me)

emmsma

I have the Vecchio deck, in Spanish. I think they are lovely, though overlarge for me. I do enjoy sitting and looking through them, just feeling that lovely textured cardstock...

I have been thinking about the Meneghello, but do I really want 2 of these I'll never use?

Is there a Lo Scarabeo of the Dotti?