Darkness/lightness of RWS pictures in 2 decks

graspee

Darkness/lightness of Universal RWS pictures in 2 decks

Hihi!

I got a deck of pocket Universal Waite delivered today, they are US Games, (c) 2004, nice little box where the top lifts off completely.

I was just looking through the cards, and I noticed at once that they were all really, really dark compared to what I was used to, which is a US Games 1990 deck from the set where you get pictorial key, the cards and a paper spread layout sheet.

All the cards that I was used to having an almost plain white background: Temperance, Hanged Man, Death etc. now had a grey, cloudy looking sky; light blue skies were now deep blue, colours were generally darker all round. The effect was not unpleasing though and at first I thought the cards were wrong but good, like greenie Thoths.

I then noticed The Star, and looked at the sky, and realised that on my old card that I was used to, the sky was far too light considering there were stars in it and presumably it was night, so I think my new cards are probably closer to the actual colours of Mark Hanson-Roberts' recolouring.

I have enclosed a picture, which really shows the difference on The Star well, but it fails to really show how grey the sky is on The Hanged Man.

How does anyone else's Universal compare to these two?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/graspee/tarot/universalwaitecomparison.jpg?t=1283333788

rwcarter

graspee, welcome to the world of different printings and editions! (Word of warning, this way lies madness.... :D)

Usually the country in which the deck is printed is listed on the top of the box. The deck in my older Universal Waite set was printed in Belgium. Printed in Belgium decks are generally thought to be of superior quality. I'm guessing your pocket Universal was printed in Italy. There has been a general dissatisfaction with the quality of US Games printed in Italy decks. US Games has recently shifted their printings to China and so far, printed in China decks seem to be getting good reviews from folks who care about these things.

If your new pocket Universal is printed in China, then I'd say that you're probably right in that the colors are closer to what was originally intended. If it was printed in Italy, then I'd say the colors you're used to are closer to what was originally intended.

HTH,
Rodney

graspee

The pocket Universal I got today was printed in China and my old Universal normal size cards were printed in Belgium. I'm completely convinced my old cards are too light now and I'm really loving and appreciated my new pocket size and darker cards!

Cerulean

Darker copies in general makes me heisitate

I am sorry, I have advised against duller, darker copies in the case of the Visconti, and Original Rider Waite that was distributed by U.S. Games.

Later duller printings of any deck have me quietly going to used copies.

If the darker Printed in China version satisfies, that is fine.

I am way too picky if there is a choice. Dull shades of broccoli greenis, grayed blues--somehow love my Thoths vintage, but PCS painted bright, light and crisp. I thouight Mary Hanson Roberts palette in the Whimsical matched the 1990 Universal.

My dissenting opinion. Keep them both and decide what works for you.

Cerulean
graspee said:
Hihi!

I got a deck of pocket Universal Waite delivered today, they are US Games, (c) 2004, nice little box where the top lifts off completely.

I was just looking through the cards, and I noticed at once that they were all really, really dark compared to what I was used to, which is a US Games 1990 deck from the set where you get pictorial key, the cards and a paper spread layout sheet.

All the cards that I was used to having an almost plain white background: Temperance, Hanged Man, Death etc. now had a grey, cloudy looking sky; light blue skies were now deep blue, colours were generally darker all round. The effect was not unpleasing though and at first I thought the cards were wrong but good, like greenie Thoths.

I then noticed The Star, and looked at the sky, and realised that on my old card that I was used to, the sky was far too light considering there were stars in it and presumably it was night, so I think my new cards are probably closer to the actual colours of Mark Hanson-Roberts' recolouring.

I have enclosed a picture, which really shows the difference on The Star well, but it fails to really show how grey the sky is on The Hanged Man.

How does anyone else's Universal compare to these two?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/graspee/tarot/universalwaitecomparison.jpg?t=1283333788

graspee

Of course I shall keep both. I don't find the printing on the newer ones duller, just darker. You'd think having looked at one printing of the Universal for the last twenty years would make any difference at all look wrong and inferior to me, but it doesn't.

Sulis

Thanks for the scans, I've never been tempted to a Universal Waite deck but I really like the darker printing on the pocket version.