78 Weeks: Popess / High Priestess

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

galadrial

Blue Rose deck

I see the dark woods as being the parts of the world which are accessible to logic and the senses. The shelter is composed of elements from the woods- logic in the symmetrical black/white tiles and hexagon table, and the structure is wood and grass and flowers even sprout from the table- a living space at the heart of the woods, open and accessible at all times; seperate and sacred yet recognizable and everyday in it's materials (like a tarot deck). The roof is open to the Moon which is reflected in the cup- this is the heart of the heart of the woods. This is where you are willing to believe that there exists something beyond what you can understand. Belief is the key. Your heart (the structure glows red) believes, the veil tears, and the High Priestess steps inside. Your soul can now take flight, like the blue butterflies. You are no longer confined to earth, and can assimilate her teachings.

www.tarotpassages.com/PGHP.htm (the walls look much redder in the actual card)

Major Tom

I have to admit that when it came to depicting this card in modern dress I was at a bit of a loss. It took a bit of meditation and some study of threads on the History and Iconography board before the High Priestess agreed to reveal herself to me. ;)

Apparently there have been a number of different titles for this card over the centuries. I decided in the end to stay with the English tradition.

Attachments

• ii the high priestess.jpg
    ii the high priestess.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 253

TemperanceAngel

Galadrial the card is beautiful :):):) XTAX

spoonbender

29/12/2003
The High Priestess from the World Spirit Tarot stands in a sacred circle of stones in the clearing of a forest. The dark outlines of trees surround her, conveying a mysterious mood. The place reminds me of the forests of the Ardèche in the south of France. When we go there, walking through those lonely woods, occasionally stumbling upon a Standing Stone from times long passed, I know primeval and ancient forces surround me. It’s a place untouched, unspoilt. It is hard to bring that feeling into words, yet it is very strong. I guess you have to experience it yourself to know it, just like the power of the High Priestess... The sunny sky from the Magician here has become a nightly sky. The moon lights the clearing on the card, making the grass in the circle look like fire – filled with life and passion. The High Priestess holds a veil behind her, as if she has just taken it off and has revealed herself; in this ancient place, you experience the High Priestess to the fullest... The woman is nude and pure – her body is entirely blue, colour of emotion, feeling and spirituality. The horned moon casts the shadow of the High Priestess upon a lit path leading from the dark forest towards the clearing. The shadow from the High Priestess is, strangely, horned like the moon, as if the moon is part of the woman... Two large trees stand beside the path. It’s subtle, but one of the trees is almost entirely dark, while the other is much lighter. The High Priestess stands between them – the two opposites meet in the High Priestess, who acknowledges both her light and dark sides. On the branch of the darker tree sits an owl, symbol of wisdom, who, as a nocturnal animal, can see the unseen. At the bottom of the other tree, in a dark spot between the roots, grow two flowers. In the dark places of the unconsciousness grow beautiful things, hidden treasures for us to discover... (You can see her here)

30/12/2003
La Papesse from the Tarot de Marseille (Hadar) is seated, holding a Book in her hands. The Book is open, accessible to everyone who wants to learn. It is flesh-colour; the knowledge in this Book is alive and vibrant – la Papesse speaks of spirituality, not dogma’s that restrict and trap... The book contains so much wisdom, but la Papesse doesn’t look at it. She doesn’t need to look at it, as she knows every single word written there. She is very much aware of the book and its value, as she holds it with her two hands. She glances at her right – she may be receptive, but she doesn’t sit around doing nothing: she still learns and grows within. Her clothing seems to show this too: underneath the blue of feelings and emotions is vibrant red... A veil hangs behind her – what hidden secrets and knowledge lie there? Something is definitely behind it... perhaps the missing table leg from the Bateleur’s table... The tiara of la Papesse ends in pure light, escaping the structure from the card, yet still visible. La Papesse is in touch with the spiritual world and higher forces; she allows one to flow above the mundane world, she teaches you to look beyond... In the bottom left corner of the card lies something, but I can’t make out what it is. I’ve seen it interpreted as a spinning wheel, but it’s doesn’t look like one to me. It almost looks like a bundle of straw...

I see la Papesse and think of subtle, flowing spirituality, great wisdom, calm and peace. I can only hope that la Papesse will help me to reflect and listen to my own inner voice, and while doing so try to establish a profound connection with the divine.

3/1/2004
The High Priestess from the Secret Tarots sits on a cold throne of stone and looks you straight in the eyes with an ominous gaze. A book lies on her knees, which are hidden under a flowing, dark dress that takes in most of the bottom of the card. The book is closed – something about this card makes me think that the knowledge she guards is not just for everyone... Her face is as white as the waning moon on the dark veil behind her. Looking at the dress and veil on this card, images appear – a hallway, the face of a witch, a wolf, a dragon. Is it intended to be there, or is it the influence of the gaze of the High Priestess that makes you see those flowing images from the unconscious? The High Priestess looks confronting. As if she is challenging you to dare to take the book on her lap and to find out what lies behind that veil. But in order to do that, you first have to face her: the holder and keeper of those dark, forbidding secrets and psychic powers... The veil hangs between two large, stone pillars – one dark, one white. The High Priestess links the unconscious to the conscious. Timeless and eternal, she sits between past and future... (you can see her here)

4/1/2004
The Popess from the Tarot of Dürer looks upward. I’m not sure whether she’s seated or standing. I first saw her as seated, but as there’s no sign of a throne of some sort, I don’t know. It actually fits in quite well with this card: she too is sitting between two pillars (which you can just make out). To me, this shows that she is between unconscious and conscious, past and future, passive and active... I chose to call her the Popess. Next to the card, she is called the High Priestess in English, but la Papesse in French. I found the Popess appropriate here, as she’s wearing a tiara and appears to be seated under a cross vault, as if from a church. Actually, she’s not really under the roof, it seems like she jumps out of the picture. Here too, then, she escapes the structure. Furthermore, there are no walls in sight, not even a ground for that matter. Here too she floats above the mundane and ordinary... She wears beautiful robes – blue and green – and on top an elaborate red mantle, adorned with gold. At the top of the cape is a large, golden, radiant cross – symbol of the Popess’ faith... The Popess holds two keys. She has the ability and power to unlock the secrets of life, to reveal hidden knowledge. Two keys... the number of duality, of the meeting of opposites that the Popess embodies. She can unlock and connect unconscious and conscious, past and future, passive and active! Likewise, she wears the green robe of growth between the vibrant red and the receptive blue... A snake coils at the bottom of the card, biting an apple. Now, because snakes shed their skin, they have been associated throughout different cultures with death and rebirth. Snakes are also seen as guardians, for instance in the myth of the Golden Fleece. And because snakes can swallow immense quantities of food, they can symbolize the absorbing of knowledge. Here then, the snake is eating an apple, a symbol of wholeness and for the Celts a door into greater mysteries... The Latin saying on the card reads: “Nec fas est propius mortali attingere divos”, translated into English: “No mortal could come closer to the gods”. This then shows the Popess’ profound connection with the divine... (Found this link!)

6/1/2004
I would link the High Priestess to the Pythia, the ancient Greek priestess of the sanctuary of Apollo at Delphi. She sat on a tripod above a crack in the earth and spoke prophecies in a trance due to the vapours that arose. At, I think, the entrance of sanctuary was written on a stone: “Know Thyself”...
Besides the fact that the Pythia is a priestess too, she is also, like the High Priestess, a holder and guardian of the unknown and of secrets. It has a very mysterious feeling to it... And like the engraving on that stone, the High Priestess tells you to listen to your own inner voice, to know yourself.

Mimers

29/12/03:

I am actually copying this from the Comparitive studies thread where I described this card from the Blue Rose Tarot. As I re-read it and looked at the card, I see so much more, but I will add that at the end. ;)

The High Priestess from the Blue Rose Tarot is beautiful. The card is primarily hues of gold, fiery orange and black which all lend to her mistique.The Priestess is in a room where the entryway has no door. Anyone can enter, if you can find the door. Outside the door we see a dark barron forest cloaked in the night. Who would think to venture through this forest to find her?

In the room the High priestess emerges from the wall, indicating that she is obscure, not obvious. If you walk into the room you will not see her, you must trust she is there. As she emerges, her eyes are fixated upon a cup that sits on a table in the center of the room. The cup is filled with black fluid and the moon is reflected in it. This is where we must look to find our intuition, our inner feminity. Deep inside the cup.

Directly above the cup, the ceiling of the room has an opening. Through this opening we see the dark night sky with the stars and the moon shining. The ceiling seems to be made of earth with grass growing on it indicating we must go benieth the layers to get in touch with this part of ourselves.

The High Priestess is naked from the waist up. Her legs and lower torso are still a part of the wall. She works primarily from the higher chakras. From her heart for love, her throat for communicating to our conciousness, her inner eye, because she sees things we don't and her crown chackra where she is connected to the Divine. You will notice that as you go further up her body, her color changes from a deep, fiery orange to a bright, illuminating gold. She literally lights up the room.

From the table grow 2 white flowers. They look like Poppys, the source of opium. To me, this indicates that a deep meditative state enables us to reach her and hear her better.

I look again at the 'hole' in the ceiling. Is that the reflection, or is that the ground? Where is she? She is inside everything. Trees grow from every direction, what matters is she is in the center. She is the source.This clearly points out the feminine this card represents. There is no structure. There is no up or down, left or right. There is only the center.

The butterflies at the top of the two wands reflect the changes that take place when we draw from her knowledge.

2/1/04

Tarot of Prague:She sits tall and expressionless. She points the way in her book. She sits between pillars of opposites. The moon represents the passive, reflective state she is in. We have to go inside for this knowledge. The viel behind her covers a huge building. It looks like a church. At her feet there is a globe with a dead snake like creature around it. Does this represent her power in this world? A victory wreath crowns her head.

La Papesse - Marseille - Such a pure white face and hands. Virginity, purity of thoughts and actions or the absence of thought. Devoid of emotion.Whe wears a yellow crown with 3 tiers, each trimed in red with gold design. The 3 tiers meaning the divine. The yellow for knowledge. Divine knowledge. She looks to her left with an open book on her lap. The veil is behind her, but what does it hide? There also seems to be an egg behind her. Fertilization, new life?

3/1/04

Keywords:Reflection, just knowing, focus, going within for answers, sheding preconceived notions,knowledge.

Mental - time to stop thinking and listen. Clear your mind. Meditation
Spirit - She reminds me how important it is to know myself. The peaceful tranquility of aloneness inspires me.
Physical - Are there emotional reasons for any physical conditions? Crate an are in your home for refleciton.
Emotional - Quiet assuredness. Serious, sincere. The assuredness of guidance.
Soulful - My spiritual guide. She is my higher self.
Business - Time to follow those hunches
Relationships - Time for some space. You need some alone time for reflection
Problamatic - Need to consider the facts more. Get back into reality. Time for action.
Beneficial - Being able to distinguish your inner voice without doubt.

Imagemaker

Haindl High Priestess

I'm away from home, but posting quickly just to stay in the loop:

The striking features of this card are the large blue/white bubble and the camel. First thoughts are:

1. How fragile and fascinating bubbles are. Intuitive flashes appear, then fade so fast, like bubbles--and conditions sometimes need to be just right for them to be perceived or formed--like bubbles.

2. The camel carries its own water through the desert, using it to survive tough conditions--like we have our own intuitive source as we labor through the world. Can we stay filled? Can we make it through the dunes of despair? At what oasis can we find relief and restorative water?

3. The woman has a bright white light over her head, and her hands are in an odd position that make me think of radar dishes (!)-- receiving messages from space! We can open ourselves and wait for what comes, be it ever so fragile and elusive.

4. The water at the bottom of the card splits and flows in two directions--what significance there?

5. The cool blue/white of the card is restrained, calming, and flowing. It's a lovely relaxing feeling--which is needed for going inside and finding one's wisdom.

Other Haindl people? Comments?

rexenne2003

From the Witches Tarot

A woman stands, arms out, legs spread about shoulder width(classic wiccan postition that symbolizes the pentagram) in a light blue gown with several wraps of rope around her waste as a belt. She also wears a head band with a moon and some other symbol that I cannot make out, and a garder band around her left leg. She stands between two blocks that stand higher than she, the one on the left is black, the one on the right is white. A white sphere dominates the top of the card, while a yellow one dominates the bottom. The floor is blue and seems to meet either the sky or a wall in the background. A strong breeze blows her skirt to the left of the card revieling her right leg and the garter.
She seems to be consentrating on her intent, whatever magic she may be doing, or ritual.

Black/white; night/day; god/goddess; good/evil

Sulis

High Priestess

As Mimers has done I have used my entry from the compariative study thread (very little time for these first few cards) - The High Priestess from the Cosmic deck by Norbert Losche is by far my favorite High Priestess, closely followed by the World Spirit.

Here she is:
The face of a beautiful woman gazes at the reader over a moonlit sea.
A thin, gossamer viel covers the top half of her face, it gives her an air of eastern mystery: She could just as easily be a member of a hareem as a priestess. She has 'Come to bed eyes', she looks deeply sexual, a quality which often frightens as well as excites.
On her brow, over her 3rd eye chakra she wars the yin-yang, a symbol of the universe, male and female, light and dark, each half containing a seed of the other.
Before her, a crescent moon lies on an open book on which are written the first and last letters of the greek alphabet Alpha and Omega - all knowledge is contained within.
There is lots of water in this card; her hair looks like water, the ocean behind her representing the unconcious, the hidden, the unknown, the feminine.
the Moon is the ruling planet of this card, associated with femininity it governs the bodily cycles of women, it also controls the tides - there is a cyclical element to this card.
Her gaze is almost challenging - she dares us to come closer, to discover the knowledge she has to offer.

Love and light

Sulis xx

Jewel-ry

1/1/04

I want to try and bring more of these cards into my everyday life. On Tuesday I almost chucked my job, but I thought of the HP and decided that it was not a day for action. It was a time of reflection, inactivity, finding peace and calm. This helped me to understand. That evening I drew a long bath, with loads of bubbles and candles and tried to still myself. My life is usually so busy its an effort to STOP , but I did it.

Haindl

Think of the camel, he's timeless, patient, carries everything he needs within. We should all do this, at least spiritually. There is so much water on this card. The camel even looks like a cloud, there is mist and bubbles and rain and the sea. The sea so dark and blue. You can visualise the sea at depth, blue/black. Only the top few metres let the light in. Hidden depths, hidden secrets - The High Priestess.

Crystal

She appears to sit at a gateway, with flowers and light to the left of the card and moon, mystery and darkness to the right of the card. I see this HP as being the gateway between the spiritual and the mundane, the light and the dark. She has a book in her lap but she doesnt hold it. It just rests there, kind of cradled in her arms. She doesnt need to hold on to her secrets because she just is and has and knows them.

3/1/04

I sat and looked at both of the High Priestesses that I am concentrating on in this study and I realised that apart from the Moon, this is my favourite card. She is so powerful and respected in her silence. We all know people like this. They speak with their silence. This week of reflecting with the High Priestess has had a calming effect on my life.

4/1/04

Hadar

My Hadar only arrived yesterday and I have had just 5 minutes with the HP from this deck tonight. I decided to contemplate the colours and realised that her red under-dress, symbolising action, purpose, consciousness is covered by her blue cloak, symbolising inner spirituality, intuition, unconsciousness and reflection. But what really excited me was when I researched the colour green as she also wears a green sash (?) in the shape of a cross between her red dress and blue cloak. Green represents growth, balance and the duality of different natures coming together. So does she represent the crossroads between the mundane and spiritual worlds? Furthermore, her veil is curled at the edges like a scroll and a yellow light flows from the top of her head. Inner knowledge, wisdom. Just brilliant. I'm sure there is much more. I need to do more research.

J :)