A Marseille Tarot book in Anglais!! [ The Tarot by Fred Gettings ]

fyreflye

A Marseille Tarot book in Anglais!!

I've just come across and begun studying an English-language tarot book based on the classic Marseille deck that looks extremely promising. It's The Tarot by Fred Gettings, published originally in 1973 with a 1993 reprint that I found used today. Though its coffee table book format might put you off, it's actually the most useful discussion of Marseille symbolism I've discovered yet.
Gettings breaks down the basic structure of each card, relates the images to sacred geometry, and goes deeply into the basic color symbolism. He shows cards from other decks only to demonstrate how badly they've lost the original symbolic message. He particularly loathes Waite:D
I've been following along with my Hadar in hand and can see a number of things I hadn't noticed before. His main focus is on the Majors but has a chapter on the minors using a method borrowed from Papus.
Of course there can be many ways to interpret a symbol so I'm not claiming this book has the answer (I mean, how would I know?), but considering how few books in English deal with the Marseille I thought I should pass this recommendation along.
It's long out of print but it shows up on eBay at low starting bids quite often.
If any Marseille experts know this book and have useful criticisms of it I'd like to hear them.

jmd

It is indeed a wonderful book... and one I have mentioned in a few posts.

It is also the book which originally sent me on a wild goose chase around the Reims Cathedral and reading through the Golden Legend, only to find that his caption and reference for XVI La Maison Dieu were incorrect.

Still, a very worthwhile book :)

See the thread:...it links to yet other threads.

fyreflye

Thanks, J-M; I hadn't seen that thread, since I have only recently become a Marseillaniac:) Now, back to the book!

Diana

Re: A Marseille Tarot book in Anglais!!

fyreflye said:
Gettings breaks down the basic structure of each card, relates the images to sacred geometry, and goes deeply into the basic color symbolism. He shows cards from other decks only to demonstrate how badly they've lost the original symbolic message. He particularly loathes Waite:D

Thank you fyreflye. I'll look out for this book on the internet. I'm sure it can be found somewhere. It's a pity he doesn't go more deeply into the minors though. But the fact that he particularly loathes Waite (when it comes to Tarot, I mean) makes me feel already particularly affectionate to Mr. Gettings.

tmgrl2

Fred Gettings has a host of books.

The Book of Tarot...for $7.97 (Amazon.com)
Tarot: How to Read the Future $1.64
Secret Symbolism in Occut Art $9.94

All of these are used and available at A.com

Then there is the hardcover book Tarot by Fred Gettings, selling used for $73.

Is this the same as the one above :How to Read the Future?
Can't tell since there is no information. Just that the expensive used one is a hardcover edition.

Any help from anyone who knows his books?

Thanks for this thread, fyreflye

terri

fyreflye

The original title was The Book of Tarot. The hardcover might be the 1973 edition. The first one on your list is probably a cheap reprint. The $1.94 How to Read the Future is the one I've got. It was printed in China. As far as I can tell from the copyright page it isn't abridged from the original. Since Gettings was a Brit Europeans might find copies on Amazon.uk or American Book Exchange (which lists UK dealers as well as American.) Your library might even have it or be able to borrow it for you.

tmgrl2

I'm going to order the three ranging in price from $7 to $1.64...not $73...

Thanks, fyreflye.

terri

Jewel-ry

Thanks fyreflye,

I have seen this book on e-bay before and often wondered about its usefulness. I shall certainly look out for it now.

~

tmgrl2

Wouldn't the cheap reprint have the same information?

Don't know if $73.00 is what I want

jmd

The 'cheap' reprint is just that: a reprint, not a shortened version... and well worth Getting (excuse the pun).

The title was also uunfortunately altered the less desirable 'How to tell the Future' - but that is not a reflection of any other changes in the book.

Gettings has also written a number of mediaeval-focussed books on both astrology and art symbolism generally, each of which are worth, again, getting.

If you like, it's worth getting Gettings.

:):):)