78 Weeks: Six Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Six of Pentacles

Continuing on with the 78 week study / notes - once again using the Universal Waite (and a couple of other decks for the study) ;)

Also again trying a different approach and looking at this card from a certain situation. In this instance I looked at the 6 of Pentacles from a work environment in the context of employer / employee relationships or manager / team members in regards to power, resources and even financial.

This card shows a person standing with a set of scales in their hand as well as coins - dealing these out to the two people kneeling in front of them. The person standing is in a position of power, authority or status above the other two and controls what will be given and when in regards to assistance in some form. This can be directly related to a work environment in the relationship or environment in regards to anything from sharing knowledge, empowering staff, even providing coaching and mentoring support. And not to be forgotten, providing salary increases or performance reviews - just some random thoughts on this card and context. ;)

CF

firemaiden

What a coincidence that this one card should be revived today!
This seems to be my card today, the card reminding me of balance.

gregory

Six of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Stacks and STACKS of money….

From the artist’s website
[interpretation]
His generosity is in abundance. He gives freely to all who needs.

[reversed]
He throws money around without a care or a worry. He knows not what he is doing because he is silly and extravagant.

[symbols/images]
The mans opens arms suggests his generous nature. He is charity personified. The jovial giver, the sharer of wealth.

The reversed man is one who has lost his sense of wealth for he empties his bags of gold without much thought. He is careless with his generosity.

Colour: rich greens, somber colours, metallic tones - colours of Taurus

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Wealth used adroitly. Money put to good use. Charity, benevolence, patronage. Financial support for research or study.
Reversed:
Wealth squandered foolishly. Loss through carelessness.
My impressions:
Upright
A happy jovial looking man dressed in fine green and golden robes stands in from of a HUGE pile of money – stacks and stacks of gold coins. His hands are spread wide and coins are dropping from them. He is one of the more human looking figures in this deck !
Reversed
This man, also in green, holds a money sack upside down and shakes it. Coins are raining down – but his expression is vague and uninterested. He looks as though he couldn’t care less; he seems to be laughing.

My take
Upright, the card suggests happy generosity – from a position where great generosity is possible. There is lots to give away – and, I think, the potential not to run out – a successful businessman. He has plenty; he knows how to make more (and not by exploiting others; his generous nature would not allow this) and he will be able to be a benefactor for as long as he wants.
By contrast, the reverse shows someone throwing money away without much thought. He is a wastrel, someone who spends without planning for the bills. He’ll end up flat broke before he even realises there is that possibility.
I love the stacks of coins – they are really attractive….!

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Six of Disks

First impressions

6 blue discs with planetary symbols on the, surround a rosy cross emblem in a yellow circle. Behind them 6 darker blue discs, then a six-pointed star points against six more discs - four greenish ones and two brownish ones bearing the symbols for the Moon and Mercury.

From the Book of Thoth
THE FOUR SIXES

These cards are attributed to Tiphareth. This Sephira is in some respects the most important of all. It is the centre of the whole system; it is the only Sephira below the Abyss which communicates directly with Kether. It is fed directly from Chokmah and Binah; also from Chesed and Geburah. It is thus admirably fitted to dominate the lower Sephiroth; it is balanced both vertically and horizontally. In the planetary system it represents the Sun; in the system of Tetragrammaton it represents the Son. The entire geometrical complex of the Ruach may be regarded as an expansion from Tiphareth. It represents consciousness in its most harmonized and balanced form; definitely in form, not only in idea, as in the case of the number Two. In other words, the Son is an interpretation of the Father in terms of the mind.

The four Sixes are thus representative of their respective elements at their practical best.

The Six of Wands is called Victory. The outburst of energy in the Five of Wands, which was so sudden and violent that it even gave the idea of strife, has now completely won success. The rule, or lordship, in the suit of Wands is not quite as stable as it might have been if there had been less energy displayed. So, from this point, as soon as the current leaves the middle pillar, the inherent weakness in the element of Fire (which is this: that, for all its purity, it is not completely balanced) leads to very undesirable developments.

The Six of Cups is called Pleasure. This pleasure is a kind of pleasure which is completely harmonized. The zodiacal sign governing the card being Scorpio, pleasure is here rooted in its most convenient soil. This is pre-eminently a fertile card; it is one of the best in the pack.

The Six of Swords is called Science. Its ruler is Mercury, so that the element of success turns away from the idea of division and quarrel; it is intelligence which has won to the goal.

The Six of Disks is called Success; the ruler is the Moon. This is a card of settling down; it is very heavy, wholly lacking in imagination, yet somewhat dreamy. Change is soon coming upon it; the weight of earth will ultimately drag the current down to a mere eventuation of material things. Yet the Moon, being in Taurus, the sign of her exaltation, the best of the Lunar qualities are inherent. Moreover, being a Six, the solar Energy has fertilized her, creating a balanced system for the time being. The card is worthy of the name Success. Remember only that all success is temporary; how brief a halt upon the Path of Labour.

SUCCESS SIX OF DISKS

The Number Six, Tiphareth, as before, represents the full harmonious establishment of the Energy of the Element. The Moon in Taurus rules the card; and this, while increasing the approach to perfection (for the Moon is exalted in Taurus and therefore in her highest form) marks that the condition is transient.

The disks are arranged in the form of the Hexagram, which is shown in skeleton. In the centre blushes and glows the light rose- madder of dawn, and without are three concentric circles, golden yellow, salmon-pink, and amber. These colours show Tiphareth fully realized on Earth; it reaffirms in form what was mathematically set forth in describing the Ace.

The planets are arranged in accordance with their usual attribution; but they are only shown as disks irradiated by the Sun in their centre.

This Sun is idolized as the Rose and Cross; the Rose has forty- nine petals, the interplay of the Seven with the Seven.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Six of Disks = Success. Tiphareth in the suit of Earth. Moon in Taurus.
The Disks are in a hexagram. The planets are arranged in their usual attribution, in the centre the Sun as Rose and Cross. This typifies the harmonious establishment of the energy of the Element.
Also:
Six of Disks = Success. Moon in Taurus. Tiphareth.
The disks forma hexagram and represent the seven planets with the sun in the centre as a rose and cross. These indicate the harmonious movement of the spheres.
DuQuette says that in the suit of Disks, things don’t get any better than this card. He compares it with the Ace in terms of the mind, and says it is a brief reward for the tireless hands-on labour of the entrepreneur. He even says that it acts something like a Midas touch.
Snuffin points out that the Rose Cross represents the integration of the energies of Geburah and Chesed, and that the plants are arranged on the card in the form of the Tree of Life. He also says that the blue rosy cross is placed in a red cross of five squares. This is one time that working with a greenie has let me down badly ! No way that cross is red…! He adds that the six rays (which I described as a star) signify the balanced, fertile energies of the card.
Banzhaf says that the centre is as light/bright as it is because it is illuminated by the sun, represented by the Rose Cross. He goes on to say that the card is one of the inner sun rising in the dawn of self-awakening.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Success. Success and gain in material things. Power. Influence. Nobility. Philanthropy. Somewhat dreamy and transitory situation. III-dignified: Insolence. Conceit with wealth. Prodigality. Seven of Disks: Failure. Labor abandoned. Sloth. Unprofitable speculation. Promises of success unfulfilled. Hopes deceived. Disappointment. Little gain from much labor. Well-dignified: Delay but growth. Honorable work undertaken for the love of work with no expectation of material gain.

DuQuette
Success in material things, prosperity in business.
Success and gain in material undertakings. Power, influence, rank, nobility, rule over the people. Fortunate, successful, liberal and just. If ill dignified, maybe purse-proud, insolent from excess, or prodigal.
Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
SIXES
Sixes are the restoration of balance and harmony after the upsets of the fives. These cards predict an exchange, a give and take that results in a new equilibrium. It may not last, but for that moment, everything is stable. With this card, there is an almost "Ah-HA!" of recognition as if you've found a solution, and more than a little awe at its perfect symmetry.
If you connect the sixes to the Lovers card you'll see how it works. Like Gemini, you recognize your twin, your soul mate, your equal. Maybe you didn't even know how uneven, how lopsided your life was, but now that you've met this person or thing your inner balance is restored. Here is the give and take that the cards say you need to achieve harmony.
Six of Pentacles
A wealthy man holding scales hands out money to the poor. This is quite a contrast to the Five of Pentacles with a shut door between the poor on the outside and the rich on the inside. Also where the poor might have been too proud to take charity, or the rich unwilling to give to those who they deemed unworthy of their generosity.
Here, in the Six of Pentacles, the poor kneel and hold out hands for the money, not too proud to take it, and the merchant freely gives it, not judging them as he does so. Both gain in this exchange.
The question that must be asked when this card appears, however, is which is the querent? Do they have too much and need to restore balance to their lives by giving some of it away? Meaning, perhaps, that it's time to clear out the closet and give old clothes to a local charity, do volunteer work or make a donation? Even, perhaps, help out a friend in need?
Or is it time to accept that gift of money being offered by a generous relative, go to a free clinic, try for a scholarship or seek other types of assistance?
Balanced as this give and take is, it poses a quandary not seen in the other sixes. Which is how to freely give and take. The giver must give freely, not because they want to feel superior or good about themselves. Likewise, the querent must not let pride, resentment or shame get in the way of taking. We all need assistance now and then.
The message to the querent might well be to accept what you're offered now. It may be that in the future you'll have a chance to restore the balance by helping out another as you were helped.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
Actually this one I do find rather - dull. It looks, more than anything, like a carefully drawn flower by someone with a good geometry set… It really leaves me cold. As Crowley himself says,
it is very heavy, wholly lacking in imagination
– he does add somewhat dreamy” – but – well, I just don’t see that. I just see the HEAVY bit !

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
Balance, self-centredness. Knowing what you want and taking it - neatly. Maybe even a hint of OCD; it is all so – TIDY and arranged so carefully. Ugh !

jackdaw*

Six of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
I see this card as a somewhat natural progression from the Five of Pentacles. In the Five, a poor and ragged couple trudge wearily through a snowstorm. Whether they are actually looking for comfort, relief or help is another topic for debate, but if they are they are not finding it. Now we are at the Six of Pentacles, and a poor and ragged couple (not the same people, but what can you do) is receiving alms from a richly dressed man who seems to weigh coins in his golden scales before dropping them into the outstretched hands of one beggar.

The wealthy man reminds me of the fat and smug man in the Nine of Cups. He’s not as beefy, as hale and hearty as the guy in the Nine of Cups, but he’s dressed very similarly - the striped nightshirt, the funny draped hat. He smiles slightly as he drops four coins into the outstretched hands of the beggar kneeling to the left. The one on the right - the more ragged of the two - patiently waits his turn. The rich man also carries a Libra-like scale in his free hand, and holds two coins in reserve in the other.

A curious part of this card, which we only see again in the Ten of Pentacles in the Rider Waite deck, is that the appropriate number of pentacles are superimposed over the scene. They fill up the space around the people, rather than being integrated into the picture. We see this in the Nigel Jackson Tarot and others, but it’s not common at all in this deck. So I’m guessing now that this is there for a reason.

The way you take this card would depend on which side of it you consider: the rich guy - in which you’d see it as helping out those less fortunate, as giving - or the paupers - whereby you’d see it in light of receiving, of getting help or handouts. Personally my eye is drawn to the tall man distributing the coins, so what does that say about me?

Creator’s Notes
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot Waite says:
Waite said:
A person in the guise of a merchant weighs money in a pair of scales and distributes it to the needy and distressed. It is a testimony to his own success in life, as well as to his goodness of heart.
Clearly Waite’s focus is on the wealthy man who distributes his coins to the poor. But who am I to judge? So is mine :D It’s interesting too that Waite says he’s in the guise of a merchant. Other posters here on ATF have commented on it, and Rachel Pollack makes much of it in Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom. I’ll get to that more later.

Others’ Interpretations
Waite defines the card as:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Presents, gifts, gratification another account says attention, vigilance now is the accepted time, present prosperity, etc. Reversed: Desire, cupidity, envy, jealousy, illusion.

Symbols and Attributes
The Six of Pentacles is represented astrologically by Taurus. Specifically, the third decan, or the Moon in Taurus. Taurus the Bull also rules the Hierophant, a card that is all about social order, societal norms. And in this card I see that aspect so carefully delineated. The higher end of the pecking order in the wealthy merchant, and the lowest in the beggars. And like the Hierophant, this card shows one higher-up individual lording it over two lesser beings.

But on its own, without reference to the Hierophant, how does this card relate to Taurus? According to Pictures From the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary, Taurus is an Earth sign of fertility and growth that is ruled by Saturn and Venus. So it is torn between Saturn’s careful structure and Venus’ love for comfort and luxury. It relates to acquisition of money, and to enjoying it, but also in using it for good. Add the Moon’s Watery influence into the mix, and the money is used not just with practicality but also compassion. And that is what the rich man is doing here. I think.

From an elemental and numerological standpoint the Six of Pentacles embraces the Sixness of the card - harmony, restoration of balance after the upsetting Five - with the Earthiness of the suit - practical and material matters, concerned with the here and now rather than such abstractions as intellectual or spiritual things. The cold and ragged wretches of the Five of Pentacles have received alms, and warmer coverings; the wealthy have redistributed their own riches (a little) to do some small part to restore the balance between those who have it all and those who have nothing.

As I mentioned previously, my attention seems to go more to the rich man as the central figure, the main point of the card’s focus. So I will start there.

Waite says that he is in the “guise of a merchant”. Why a guise? Why is he not simply a merchant? Rachel Pollack suggests that he is something more abstract than a real person, merchant or no:

Pollack said:
Yet who is this person in his merchant ‘guise’? Is he simply a teacher, or a religious or psychological doctrine? The scales suggest something more - Justice, which stands for truth, not just as ‘correct information’ but as a living force holding together and balancing the universe.

More on the scales later. As for the religious or psychological doctrine, I have trouble addressing that in the very general abstract that Pollack presents. However, I also do not see him as a teacher. Rather, he represents the idea of a merchant. One who is materially comfortable, well off if not actually wealthy. And yet, who doesn’t actually earn his money by the sweat of his brow. No hard physical labour or discomfort for this guy, so he may appear to the toiling masses as one who doesn’t actually work for his money. Hence an extra emphasis on him as being comfortable, if not as soft as the beefy man on the Nine of Cups. It’s easy to make the comparison between the two, in terms of clothing alone.

When I was back on the Nine of Cups in this study, I saw the lengthy white robe with blue stripes as a nightshirt, further emphasis of his love of comfort. But now I wonder. It reminds me a little of pictures of the Jewish Tallit or prayer shawl, which I understand is white with some stripes, sometimes blue. But I found a great reference to the stripes on a blog called Kundalini Surge after about an hour of trawling through anything that cited the symbolism of stripes that didn’t specifically refer to the U.S. flag. According to the blog post‘s author Fabio:
Kundalini Surge said:
[…]the upright blue stripes representing the link from heaven to earth
In other words, the stripes being vertical connects that which is in the heavens to that which is here on earth. Another variation on the “as above, so below” theme? I like it. And the blue references the spiritual aspect of it. And the icing on the cake? His tall boots are yellowy-green in some printings, emphasizing the groundedness.

He also wears deep red on his rich and elaborate hat and cloak. It represents determination and vigor, both of which have gotten him this far in life. In fact it is very close to the shade of the miser’s robe in the Four of Pentacles, at least in my printing. When studying that card a couple of weeks ago I had seen it as representing “the extent of his will, but only as far as it protects his own comfort, his own position.” But now it’s only an outer layer and hat, not his innermost clothing. Not a vital part of him, but something he can easily put on and off at will. He can be generous, but he can look out for number 1 if it suits him. You have to wonder a little if he’d be so benevolently doling out charity if he didn’t have so much himself.

In one hand he holds a set of golden scales like those held by Lady Justice. It points to balance and equality, fairness. Notice that he holds them up, as if emphasizing fairness in particular. Whereas on the Justice card she holds them fairly low down but raises an upright sword; this suggests that in the Major Arcana card “justice” is harsher than the generosity shown here. Other possible interpretations of these scales, which seem out of place when considered solely from an Airy and intellectual Libran perspective, are that they represent the merchant’s authority, his wealth or status, or his need to balance his outer and inner worlds. It also suggests prudence to me; he didn’t get to his position in society by tossing out alms willy-nilly, but rather by carefully weighing out and balancing what he has to give. He manages his resources shrewdly. Stingily, some might say.

His other hand, the one with which he distributes the coins, is interesting. He drops four coins, holding two more still in his hand. The last two fingers on his hand are bent down to hold the withheld coins in place, and the first two and thumb are extended. In fact, it’s the same gesture as that of his fellow Taurus card the Hierophant. Just extended downward instead of held upright. I wonder if the upright Hierophant and downward merchant gestures are deliberately mirrored to show once again the “As above, so below” theme.

The two beggars before him represent the lowest end of the social pecking order, just as he is up toward the top. Unlike the poorly clad pair in the Five of Pentacles, ill-dressed against the cold, these two are bundled inside heavy layers of cloaks or blankets. Only their faces and hands are exposed. Whereas nudity in the Tarot usually means openness, having nothing to hide, I wonder here what is concealed beneath the heavy wrappings.

The one in yellow, to whom the merchant is giving the first coins, represents consciousness, intellect, awareness, outer self-expression. So it would seem that giving to this beggar first is a conscious, deliberate choice and not just happenstance. But why? Because it seems that this guy is marginally better off than the one in blue. His head is covered, his cloak or blanket a little less ragged. He even seems less haggard, less emaciated and hungry. So why is the merchant not giving first to the more miserable of the two?

So we look at the blue-cloaked beggar now. The blue stands for emotion, so I gather that the merchant in making his conscious decision to give to the one in yellow first is not letting emotion affect his decision. He doesn’t give first to the one for whom he feels sorry. Or does he even feel sympathy for their plight? And is the blue beggar even as deserving of pity as we think? Look at his cloak; on the side facing us, the blue beggar’s cloak has something that looks like two overlapping patches, one of which is red. But someone on the forum once proposed that it was a pocket, with a red yod protruding from it. Now, I don’t see that; the red bit isn’t enough to get that, at least for me. But if it was, then it would hint at great potential, at great power, that the blue beggar is concealing from the merchant. See my comment earlier about what’s hidden below the heavy cloaks. Maybe that’s why he’s not giving to this guy first? Does he sense that the one in blue is able to look after himself in the long run? Or is it more premeditated and cynical than that - does he think that the better-dressed yellow beggar will be that much sooner to get back on his feet, and therefore the merchant will sooner see a return for his “investment”?

How we choose to see it, I guess, depends on whether we see the merchant’s actions in an altruistic light or not. Because there are some aspects that might make us think there’s more to it than meets the eye. The imbalance of power between the rich merchant and the two paupers. The way the merchant doesn’t hand the coins to the yellow beggar, but drops them as if hoping he’ll have to scrabble after them on his hands and knees. The possibility that the blue beggar is concealing his power or the wherewithal to look after himself - a modern equivalent might be one who deliberately doesn’t declare or actively hides assets or income in order to get benefits or handouts.

Even the pentacles themselves are out of balance. Three on the left-hand side of the card frame, above the yellow beggar; one above the merchant’s head; two above the scales and the blue beggar. What does this mean? Well, the yellow beggar is receiving coins now, so that is why he has the most. And the blue beggar, that is not (yet) receiving his alms, he has only two. It seems to suggest that the distribution of coins, of power and status, is still in progress. Matters are still recovering from the paucity of the Five of Pentacles. The merchant in his generosity, however it is motivated, is helping to raise their own positions. But it’s still a work in progress. The harmony of the Sixes is not restored fully, but they’re working on it.

This is a stage card; note how the main activity happens on a plain, flat surface that is separated from the distant city and sky in the background by a clear horizontal line. If we assume that this is the same city as that seen in the background of the Four of Pentacles, we notice that it’s further away, and somewhat to the side (note how we see trees in the Six that weren’t showing in the Four). So it indicates that there has been progress. From hoarding his wealth and keeping it all for himself (“Mine!”), he now shares with those less fortunate, whatever his motives. But it’s still a stage card, a kind of backdrop or scenic depiction. So is it real? Or is it what the merchant wants us to think, or even believes himself? “See, I’m not such a bad guy, I’m not the stingy old coot I once was, I can share with these poor slobs …”

Overall, there’s more to this card than meets the eye. A lot depends on whether you’re inclined to be charitable (ha) when viewing the figures - who is the main focus and what is their motivation.

My Interpretations
I used to view this card quite favorably. Now I’m not so sure. I’m finding that a lot in this study!

When this card appears and you find yourself identifying with the two beggars, I would see it as generosity, as charity, as receiving assistance or help - most likely taking a tangible form rather than emotional. But there’s a note of caution as well: remember the adage and look a gift horse in the mouth. If you’re the recipient, make sure that the assistance doesn’t come with strings attached!

If looking at the merchant as the focal point, it may indicate how far you’ve progressed, from thinking only of yourself to thinking of others. It refers to groundedness, and advises to seek opportunities to share your good fortune with those less fortunate. But it also carries a warning to examine your own motives before you pat yourself too hard on the back. Are you really as altruistic as you think?

In the abstract, it refers to a balance of power, of the scales tipping and a redistribution of assets and power. This may carry to work aspects, or finances or the social order of things. Things may not be at their current level indefinitely; the order may be shifting. But that will be a temporary thing, as the Six is about achieving harmony. Things will soon reach an equilibrium.