Reine de Batons (Queen of Battons) - how may it be read?

jmd

In the version I attach, and undoubtedly due to its peculiar quality, I am often reminded that here she re-draws from her private satchel an old letter perhaps many times re-read.

What news is she further reflecting on, and what decision has she previously taken is she now again reviewing... remaking each time!?!

In a reading, this Queen may point that a decision by reflection needs to be made, allowing her inner guidance to determine what needs to be firmly resolved.

Attached is the Dodal version...

Attachments

• Dodal Q B.jpg
    Dodal Q B.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 279

Moonbow

This is the only Queen who looks to the future and so to me represents a situation where something creative is in mind or about the start. She wants to instigate some action. Being a Queen, I think of her as being the ideas person behind the King. "Behind every good man, there's a good woman". :)

She is also the only Queen who doesn't look 'at' the King when the cards are together. I think this shows and independent idividual.

tmgrl2

Good point, Moonbow. All the other Queens face left.

All the Kings face right. (I am looking at my Hadar).

I love the large baton in her right hand. Watch out for this one! I believe she can be ambitious, a strong advisor, a protector, one who has earned great respect.

Interesting that in your card, jmd, the letter aspect seems to be visible, but not so in the Hadar.

I sense that this queen likes to be the center of attention and could certainly be a worthy rival.

Her body, in the Hadar, seems to project power, while her face has a softness and gentleness to it that makes me feel this Queen is approachable, hence my seeing her as one we might seek out for advice.

Adding the Hadar Royne de Bastons

terri

Attachments

• Royne de Bastons-Hadar.jpg
    Royne de Bastons-Hadar.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 229

Paul

Great posts. I scanned a Paul Marteau (Vigno) Reyne de Baton for reference, which should match the Grimaud in aesthetic.

Here's some of my background thinking on Queens, from my view: Medieval Queenship was a relativized role (to that of the patriarchical mandates). Thus, Queens signify roles & actions which are ongoing, oscillating, yielding, modulating, defensive action, moderating, tolerating, reflecting. Thus, besides being a person, I see the Queens as standing in to represent Periods of Reflection. This is in contrast to the impulsive, cardinal beginnings of the Knights or the decisive fixations of the Kings.

I see the Queens a mutable: the Medieval Queens were imbued conversely with “Daughters of Eve” and “Sisters of (Virgin) Mary” status. I place the Queens at the end of the YOD, HE, VAU He sequence, as VAU -- essentially, the Queens are the most sophisticated, coupling the YOD and the HE of the court. I recently watched a PBS series here in the States on The Six Wives of King Henry the VIII. These women had that mutable quality oozing out of their pores! Henry's wives aside, I would imagine that any royal female in that time would have to become very savvy (VAU-ish) and balance the assertive YOD with the passive HE, so as to survive without offending the insecure patriarchy.

Anyway...I see the Reyne de Baton as Mutable Fire -- anything associated with Sagitarrius -- but otherwise Reflection on all things Wandsy or Batonsy. ;) Thus she may be Reflective Periods, Modulation, etc in the area signified by Batons, which I term the 3 C’s: Career, Community, Culture. Or, she may be a woman operating in these milieus. Put more simply, she often shows up as a female boss, authority figure, or leader. If not a person, she signifies longer periods of oscillating work on a work project. If a querent were wondering if a job assignment was going to be a slam dunk, this Queen would advise the querent to settle in for a longer stay.

She seems to aptly embody the centauric nature of Sag -- part human, part beast. With that golden wand in her hand, somewhat brutish, certainly more hewn than the Knight's, but not as polished as the Kings's, this Queen is in charge.

Attachments

• Reyne Baton Vigno.jpg
    Reyne Baton Vigno.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 223

kwaw

Moonbow* said:
This is the only Queen who looks to the future and so to me represents a situation where something creative is in mind or about the start. She wants to instigate some action.

I see her as looking towards the future with hope and courage, fortitude.

Jewel-ry

There is so much energy in this card!

She is focused on the events of the future and does not dwell on the past. What's done is done, now what's next?

I see her as a little impulsive and wild and she appraches each day as if its her last, with enthusiasm and determination. You can just imagine her ...

"Today, I will take this baton and make a violin with it and then I will learn to play it."

WILL is the keyword - she will do this and she will do that. Determination. On the whole, a very spirited woman and that red overdress is trying to keep her in check. She is passionate about her projects and I that is the key to her. When she gets the bit between her teeth there is no stopping her.

She looks to me like a free-spirit and I imagine would revolt against anything or anybody who tries to contain her.

I reckon she could be a little quick-tempered though!

~

yaraluna

I also noticed that she is the most feminine of all the queens. the court cards in the Baton series are the only ones with all the characters looking to the future or to the moving ahead (clockwise movement). this queen is very feminine and seems to be nurturing herself with that extra hand by her belly/sex.
something I notice when i look at this card is how flowy it is. it exudes movement and a breeze that makes her fresh and younger than the other queens.
the hair, dress are moving to the right, the future.i sense a woman that knows what it wants for herself and is willing to wait to get it. however, it may be also someone that would speed things up with personal decisions or issues, but still in a calm manner. a busy woman, in the know, skillful with good intentions in her head, if treated right.