3 Coupes - how may it be read?

jmd

If one wanted to depict our modern rendition of a love-heart, then this card appears to commonly have it.

It is as if, from the coming together of the previous card (the 2 Cups), within the embrace of the more animal love emerges and is held aloft a new cherished Cup.

In a reading, it may thus show not only Love, but the joy lifted by such communion.

I have attached a Grimaud-style card...

Attachments

• Grimaud type 3 C.jpg
    Grimaud type 3 C.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 392

Moonbow

This card speaks very clearly of love to me. There are two hearts shapes in the foliage (except in my Hadar which has just one). Is the fruit a pomegranate? The pomegranate was once considered a strong fertility symbol and to relate to human flesh because of the colour of the flesh of the fruit.

I also read this as a progression of the Two of Cups. Whereas the two shows the two as individuals, this cards shows love as consumated.

Sophie

I will add this to what has already been said (and which I find very much in harmony with what I see when looking at the card) - the top cup can be seen as reconciling the opposites that were present in the II de Coupes: it is the visible sign of a growing together that nevertheless allows the two other cups their individuality. The third cup is surrounded by the heart, too.

tmgrl2

I'm linking the Hadar (Left) and the Camoin (Right)

Have to love the heart shape visible in the center.

On the Camoin, the central floral piece certainly seems to have a phallic symbol, whereas in the Hadar that central part near the point of the heart seems to have five red points , with a five-petaled yellow flower immediately below.

Spiritual and physical union giving birth to love, to humanity.

Also the presence of the floral patterns suggests an awareness of the fragility we have within us, of our weaknesses, of our beauty that must be nutured in order for love to grow into full blossom.

The merging of the two at an affective or artistic level produces the fruition of love...but is still love in evolution.

We have here harmony, inspiration, the spirit entering into the material, elevation of one's thoughts through love,
social interaction, comfort.

Being available, listening, sharing.

Depending upon placement of card...

excess? infidelity? fickleness? thoughtless in overindulgence?

Attachments

• Hadar  and Camoin - Trois de Coupes.jpg
    Hadar and Camoin - Trois de Coupes.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 173

Moonbow

Coming back to this card, the two fruits/flower buds appear, to me, to be kissing the third cup as though it's a prized possession or something held to some importance.

This can be seen particularly in the Hadar in Terri's post and also in the Dodal, and the way the top leaves 'cup' just as hands would, to protect and shelter, gives this impression also. It's a very human looking depiction of loving and caring about something so much that you want to protect it from any harm.

Sophie

Moonbow* said:
Coming back to this card, the two fruits/flower buds appear, to me, to be kissing the third cup as though it's a prized possession or something held to some importance.

Two parents kissing their new baby.
Two writers celebrating their new screenplay, knowing they'll have to protect it from a hatchet job by the business people.
Two children finding a small bird fallen from its nest, and adopting it.
Two friends preparing for a holiday they want to take together.
Two strangers going from meeting to the flowering of love.
Two lovers reconciling and growing together.
Two sides of the psyche coming together and meeting the Divine.