Roy d'Epées (King of Sword) - how may it be read?

jmd

For myself, I tend to see this King very much in ceremonial garb, even to the extent of having below his feet an initiation vault (hence his careful positioning of his feet), what appears to perhaps be an apron, a staff, and importantly a flower (perhaps a Lilly) upon his right shoulder.

The King thus may indicate, to me at least, that not only has decision been made, but now the passage from cowen to initiate needs to be taken: unless engagement and active participation in those steps are initiated, the decision comes to nil.

Attached are both the Payen and the Hadar.

Attachments

• R E payen.jpg
    R E payen.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 755
  • R E Hadar.jpg
    R E Hadar.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 818

firemaiden

Interesting how different the expressions are from deck to deck. The face of the gentleman in the Hadar King of Swords card looks almost jolly. In fact, if it weren't for the sword he weilds, I might think him a bon-vivant. My Camoin King of Swords, however, looks closer to the Payen, yet more intense. His gaze is not neutral.He looks cross and disapproving. In fact he is scowling.

Interesting that all the kings are looking to their left, yet he is the only one looking down, as though looking down on someone. But perhaps he is only scowling under the weight of his responsibility (and his hat).

A detail on the Camoin King of Swords, which I suppose might need to be disregarded if historically inaccurate, is that his epaulettes echo those of the Charioteer: they are two half moons.

Perhaps in the Camoin the Sword King's epaulettes are there (along with the enormous red sword) to remind us that this King is a vainqueur a vanquisher/conquerer; and as King, I suppose he will mete out justice to his citizens fairly, but harshly.

Jmd, that is fascinating about his feet being carefully placed on an "initiation vault" (jmd, what is an initation vault?), especially in light of what you said about the ace of swords, being the sword of a "covenant".

Here is the king who weilds THE sword. Is he not then he who will bestow the covenant, he who will send you on your initation, and he who will knight you?

And if you fail, will he cut off your head?

Moonbow

I see the vault now... it's particularly noticeable as a hole in the two links and my new Dusserre Dodal :D. It may also explain why he is sat so awkwardly, with his body facing one way and his face the other, he's kind of perched on the edge of the seat/throne and doesn't look at all comfortable, as though he has just sat down or is about to rise. Perhaps it's the armour he is wearing? He also wears a hat and a crown, but why? Not all the Kings are dressed up quite as spectacularly as this one, I think he exudes power and authority.

How would I read this card? I would take into account his firm expression, as though in deep thought, his importance and authority, I think there is even a need to be slightly wary of this King too.

firemaiden

jmd, does it mean that the Roy d'épée is the initiator?

kwaw

He looks to me like he is descending, like the Sun upon the Western horizon.

Kwaw

tmgrl2

Definitely ceremonial garb, and certainly more colorful in the Camoin than in the Hadar.

Firemaiden, I see the differences in expressions as well.

The Camoin Roy looks more "severe," while the Hadar has a more "benign" facial expression.

Also, the two epaulettes on the Camoin...two halves of the Moon or the Sun and the Moon, representing death and rebirth within this figure or masculine and feminine within us?

What is that little glyph on the throne?

I love that the sword sits tall and upright and also that Le Roi doesn't need to gaze upon the sword. I am reminded of La Justice. This King has integrity and I sense serves noble causes quite will. I see this King as meting out Justice swiftly, strictly, but fairly.

I would prefer that this King be my friend, rather than my enemy...He seems to be wise, experienced, fair, respects values....could be harsh and authoritarian, perhaps inflexible, cold and severe at times.

terri