Connolly: Ace of Wands

Sophie-David

Bursting into new growth, the index of the suit of Wands comes to life beyond the stone wall. The smoke or fog and white lines of force about the tree make me believe that the whole plant has just emerged from the soil.

But more realistically, new leaves are sprouting from a tree which appears to have been limbed and topped, leaving only a bare trunk. There are older, brownish leaves left on two lower brances, but the highest new branch has the promise of new life.

Walling off new creative energy from our lives, even trying to hack off the limbs and branches of life's growth, can only go on so long. Eventually the tree either bursts into new life itself or decays and rots - providing life for new saplings to come.

The cherub's red hair and purse remind us that we are at beginning of the suit of fire, renewing and releasing bold and inspired creative energy. The angel points to the tree and touches a leaf, drawing our attention to the miracle unfolding around us. Life has begun.

MoonMaiden

Nice one, David. :)

What do you think about the missing brick, the opening in the wall?

We are looking at the angel and the wand from on the other side of the wall. The cloud of light crosses over the wall (but doesn't go through the hole), presumably to show us that we can be there with the beginning of the cycle, if we will believe and accept the possibility, take the step.

You're quite right. If we're not there, the cycle will end, the window may close. It is an angle (angel) of consciousness that we may appropriate, or not. Do we really want this change, this newness? Are we willing to be in another room in our consciousness, because we can't do it from here . . .

Sophie-David

The openings in the walls appear to be the crenellations that occur between each of the raised pieces or merlons of a battlement. This battlement is likely the topping of a castle wall and could be quite high from the ground. The angel is pointing to the tree but looking towards the crenellation and the drop to the ground below. This may indeed be an invitation to choose the left hand path rather than the right hand one which is obscured by the numinous mist. If we are going to use a rope to climb down we would probably fasten it around the nearest merlon, but start climbing down by stepping through the unobscured crenellation.

In any case, I do think we need to leave the safety of our castle, a particularly masculine symbol for the psyche, and venture out into the unknown, leaving the guarded safety of our walls behind. It might take some getting used to, but we would be much happier moving out of our draughty dreary castle in the long run. New life lies beyond, if we are ready to give up control and take the risk...

MoonMaiden

In any case, I do think we need to leave the safety of our castle, a particularly masculine symbol for the psyche, and venture out into the unknown, leaving the guarded safety of our walls behind. It might take some getting used to, but we would be much happier moving out of our draughty dreary castle in the long run. New life lies beyond, if we are ready to give up control and take the risk...

I do agree with this and appreciate your commentary. In order to take part in the new life, we must leave the old one (the "I die daily" concept). In order to take possession of the new, there must be a space available in our consciousness to receive it. Often I have intellectually thought that I wanted to add something to my knowledge or repetoire (such as finding a new book), only to find that I had no room for it. I could stare at the pages, but it would not penetrate my consciousess.

I think that you have given me a nice meditation to use with this card. :)