Connolly: Temperance

Sophie-David

In the image of the Botticelli Venus, the Connolly Temperance is the cover girl on the deck's box, representing the underlying theme of the deck itself. At the centre of her forehead, a star mandala in orange and gold represents the inner eye of the sixth chakra. In this archetype of Temperance, the inner and outer worlds are revealed with equal clarity, the intuitive and the intellectual both come into focus, spiritual wisdom balances disciplined intelligence.

Descending from the heavens and surrounding her head, a white light or halo, illustrative of the crown chakra, manifests the universal consciousness, drawing the being into connectedness and oneness. On page 9 the LWB suggests that this power has awakened her inner eye, "the force of this transformation... causes the red cloak of individuality to fall away". I also note that like her cloak, her red rose of passion is also falling away.

Without any apparent focus or intention, Temperance perfectly mixes the contents of the two chalices, as if her body is perfectly harmonized with her inner processes. She wears a white dress of purity, trimmed in blue and gold, with an equilateral triangle of balance above her heart. A blue sash flows around her body, mirroring the flow between the cups.

Temperance stands above a fertile valley of hedged pastures, and in the distance of her unconscious lie mountains of violet and indigo, the colours reflecting the energies of the crown and third eye chakras. Upon these mountains the sun is dawning, a golden crown of enlightenment and masculine vitality embracing the distance peaks, the rising of her Inner Beloved.

tarobones

re:Temperance

I just received my deck in the mail. I have always appreciated the RWS image of temperance because of the "magical mixing" of fluids. I like your reflection on the perfect balancing that this implies. For me it both urges me to move more closely in the direction of integration and balance in my life, but at the same time it's a promise that such a blessing will occur.

I like looking at each card this way: there is a promise in each card. For me, Temperance promises integration, balance, and inner joy. Thanks for keeping these threads open. I am studying both the Connolly and the Fey tarot at the same time, and I very much enjoy both decks.

Peace,
Michael

Sophie-David

Hello Michael

I didn't realize that you only just got the deck - congrats! I do find its bright clean lines appealing, and Temperance is a good example of that.

I like to think of the Majors as falling into three groups of seven, each progressing through stages of spiritual and psychic growth. I thought I might be able to find a thread on this theory at ATR but have not been able to (this is not an original theory). The first octave, the most mundane, ends in the Chariot in which the ego comes to a healthy and balanced development. The second octave ends in Temperance which represents a synthesis of the inner and outer, the masculine and feminine, and various other apparent dualities. In the final octave, the Majors end in the World, in which the process of integration is complete.

I like your suggestion that "there is a promise in each card". I see the whole Fool's Journey through the Majors as process of integration, but each of the seven octaves ends with a special resting point or plateau by which we can measure our progress. Temperance is one of those happy moments of celebration and peace.

And when the journey is over, it begins again at another level or in a different context. :)

Blessings
David