Queen of Pentacles as prostitute...

caridwen

I did a reading for a woman who asked about her relationship with her fiance. The Queen of Wands, The Lovers and Queen of Pentacles came up in the spread side by side in that order.

I interpreted the Queen of Wands to represent the client, The Lovers represented the choice between the two women on either side and the Queen of Pentacles was her fiance's lover or another woman involved in the relationship.

It turned out that her fiance had been seeing prostitutes. I looked again at the Queen of Pentacles. I use the Original Rider Waite deck. Her fiance had been using Asian massage parlours. The Queen of Pentacles has an almost Asian look about her and is gazing at a large disc - in this case representing money.

It is a card of sexual desire and fertility represented by the rabbit and red roses. Although I had never interpreted her as a 'gold digger' or prostitute before. A very literal interpretation there.

firemaiden

That is fascinating, caridwen. I have another deck, the Dürer Tarot by Lo Scarabeo which portrays the Queen of Pentacles as quite a loose woman indeed. (She is sticking out her tongue).

I am fascinated by your literal interpretation. You are right, there is a bit of a Chinese look about the Queen of P.

Rosanne

I was fascinated by your thread and took out some of my decks to peruse. The art of suggestion..The suggestion of Art. The three decks I have picked for similiar atttributes have surprised me. The Estensi Queen of Pentacles looks like an empty headed and vain courtesan. The Queen of Discs from Intuitive tarot looks like anybodys take on a Madam, but the Queen of Pentacles from the Navigators of the Mystic sea looks like an Asian(Thai) barefooted waiting at a table for a client- lady of the Night. I will have to be aware now of that added dimension. Regards Rosanne

FlashFighter

Heh.... take a look at the Cassanova Queen of Pentacles

Sophie

Rosanne said:
The Estensi Queen of Pentacles looks like an empty headed and vain courtesan. The Queen of Discs from Intuitive tarot looks like anybodys take on a Madam, but the Queen of Pentacles from the Navigators of the Mystic sea looks like an Asian(Thai) barefooted waiting at a table for a client

And the Marseille Queen of Coins looks like a lady obsessed with her coin - her material possessions - she looks at nothing else. Of course, it can also mean that she is going from the state of material to spiritual, using matter to access the spiritual realms - but she does look pretty fixated!

Stacie Doll

Wow, interesting. I am using the Vision Quest Tarot & it would be pretty hard for me to see the Mother of Earth as a prostitute. LOL

Kissa

when i saw the title of this thread, i almost fell of my chair...

what were you guys still inventing??????

;)

but the Dürer scan is quite persuasive. LOL

i don't know about the TdM Reyne de Deniers, she is fascinated by her Deniers -in fact she seems hypnotized by it- but i really can't connect it to the image of a prostitute or anything roughly sexual. have to think more, grab my cards, S'edillot's and Jodo's books... and give it some more thoughts.

very very interesting.

kissa

Thirteen

Stacie Doll said:
Wow, interesting. I am using the Vision Quest Tarot & it would be pretty hard for me to see the Mother of Earth as a prostitute. LOL
Well, we have to remember that prostitution hasn't always been a shameful thing. There use to be Temple Prostitutes, the idea being that priestesses trained in sex offered those in need the gift of the mother goddess. You paid the temple for that gift, but the women were playing the part of goddess, hardly a degrading or immoral thing. And then there were the valued Cortesans of Royal courts, women like Madame Du Barry, who were able to rise from near poverty to positions of supreme power by way of, well, institutionalized prostitution.

Getting back to the topic at hand: I always learn something new on this forum. I'd never thought of the Q/P as standing for a prostitute, but it makes perfect sense. Money matters to her, and her body is just another commodity. I almost thought the Queen of Wands would be the prostitute, but then, passionate as our Q/Wand is, she's more likely to have a strong philosophy and might see prostitution as immoral. She'll "give" away her favors, but she won't take pay for them.

The Queen/Pents, like all capitolists, is more likely to be amoral or laissez-faire.

Stacie Doll

Thirteen said:
Well, we have to remember that prostitution hasn't always been a shameful thing. There use to be Temple Prostitutes, the idea being that priestesses trained in sex offered those in need the gift of the mother goddess. You paid the temple for that gift, but the women were playing the part of goddess, hardly a degrading or immoral thing. And then there were the valued Cortesans of Royal courts, women like Madame Du Barry, who were able to rise from near poverty to positions of supreme power by way of, well, institutionalized prostitution.

Getting back to the topic at hand: I always learn something new on this forum. I'd never thought of the Q/P as standing for a prostitute, but it makes perfect sense. Money matters to her, and her body is just another commodity. I almost thought the Queen of Wands would be the prostitute, but then, passionate as our Q/Wand is, she's more likely to have a strong philosophy and might see prostitution as immoral. She'll "give" away her favors, but she won't take pay for them.

The Queen/Pents, like all capitolists, is more likely to be amoral or laissez-faire.

Good points.