Connolly: Three of Swords

MoonMaiden

Two blue-handled swords point toward earth and one toward the sky. The sky sword has a full-petaled white rose near its tip. The swords pierce the veil of angry smoke-grey cloud, as they hover over the tower of a castle. Within the castle, two tower windows glow red. And yet, it is a blue-skied, pleasant summer day. Fluffy white clouds float near the horizon.

The LWB says:"It is hard to bear the pain of separation or to understand why we are afflicted with such deep sorrow. The pain is hard to let go, but it will go!"

When I look at this card, I think "all is not what it should be." But I do not tune in to the Connolly interpretation. It's not the first time that I tuned into a card and intuitively sensed the meaning for me, only to find that Connolly did not concur. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising. For the same reason dream symbology books fail to reveal the true meaning of the symbol to the dreamer. When I first started with the Connolly deck, I thought it meant that I was off. Then I began to wonder if she was off, lol. Somehow I wish she had broken down the symbols and said how she used each one and why. I guess I expected more from the LWB. Since the Connolly Three of Swords is so markedly different from the RWS, I figured she had a good reason. But what was it? So, rather than wonder, I will just go with my own feelings. :)

The castle is an enclosed structure (the body? the mind?) and the windows glow red. Is the seeker furious, and in denial, causing suffering to manifest? We've heard the one about going around with a dark cloud over the head. In the light of day, the gloom is temporary and peace is attainable. In the tower room, we can find our truth, even in the midst of darkness.

If the three swords are thoughts or beliefs, they are separate and apart, above the seeker who is meditating in the castle. She has separated herself from the negative energy, the better to see what it's really made of.

Sophie-David

MoonMaiden said:
Two blue-handled swords point toward earth and one toward the sky. The sky sword has a full-petaled white rose near its tip. The swords pierce the veil of angry smoke-grey cloud, as they hover over the tower of a castle. Within the castle, two tower windows glow red. And yet, it is a blue-skied, pleasant summer day. Fluffy white clouds float near the horizon.
I am thinking that the the inside of the tower is actually on fire, the heart is burning in grief, the tower being the physical body sick with heartbreak. I see the three swords as the mind, torn with the agony of the swords. The white rose of innocence is pierced in agony. The analytical swords are obscured in dark grey cloud, even the analytic swords are not able to follow through with their painful logic.

To me the blue sky and fluffy white clouds speak of the irony that often surrounds grief, making it even more poignant. The world continues in apparent innocence and ironic beauty while the subject feels unspeakable pain.

MoonMaiden said:
The LWB says:"It is hard to bear the pain of separation or to understand why we are afflicted with such deep sorrow. The pain is hard to let go, but it will go!"
I do think that these Three of Sword times can lead to wonderful growth in the long run, but it usually doesn't feel that way when you're there.

MoonMaiden said:
When I look at this card, I think "all is not what it should be." But I do not tune in to the Connolly interpretation. It's not the first time that I tuned into a card and intuitively sensed the meaning for me, only to find that Connolly did not concur. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising. For the same reason dream symbology books fail to reveal the true meaning of the symbol to the dreamer. When I first started with the Connolly deck, I thought it meant that I was off. Then I began to wonder if she was off, lol. Somehow I wish she had broken down the symbols and said how she used each one and why. I guess I expected more from the LWB. Since the Connolly Three of Swords is so markedly different from the RWS, I figured she had a good reason. But what was it? So, rather than wonder, I will just go with my own feelings. :)
Yes, the card is just a tool to use as you feel best. There is certainly nothing wrong with applying your personal meaning and/or a combination of Connolly and other interpreters ideas.

MoonMaiden said:
The castle is an enclosed structure (the body? the mind?) and the windows glow red. Is the seeker furious, and in denial, causing suffering to manifest? We've heard the one about going around with a dark cloud over the head. In the light of day, the gloom is temporary and peace is attainable. In the tower room, we can find our truth, even in the midst of darkness.
Yes, well said.

MoonMaiden said:
If the three swords are thoughts or beliefs, they are separate and apart, above the seeker who is meditating in the castle. She has separated herself from the negative energy, the better to see what it's really made of.
In my imagining, I'm afraid I'm still burning up inside that tower. <sigh> Thank you for dealing with another difficult card!

MoonMaiden

Thank you for your comments! One way I have been trying to integrate the cards is to really process the emotion at the same time. If I don't I tend to shy away from the energy that I am projecting on the card and stop using the tarot. I have to believe that for me the card not only shows the situation at hand (and sometimes, as in your Devil/Materialism, showing a situation handled) but also the remedy. My great soul work is to integrate the different energy tools/techniques that I use into a workable and seamless model. It can sometimes be frustrating, but I allow it all to simmer until it gels into a flowing whole. Not unlike the burning inside and the blue sky outside, eh? Cheers! :)

Sophie-David

Hi MoonMaiden

Yes, I think I understand about processing the emotional energy for each card. This also involves risk and pain, and perhaps this is why you wish to tackle the difficult cards first, to get it over with so that the rest of the deck is relatively easy. Maybe you always ate the broccoli first. :)

I think the blue sky also shows that there is hope in the card. If you can survive the flames inside the tower, and get out from under the grey cloud full of swords - it may feel like a big IF - then its "nothing but blue skies from now on". (Irving Berlin) Well at least until the next fire in the tower. :)

Blessings
David