Connolly: Queen of Cups

MoonMaiden

A lovely figure, the Connolly Queen of Cups, is floating on the sea. How she reminds us of the High Priestess, tho without turtle! :) She does, however, have a dolphin playmate who is attached by a cord tied around his flipper and leading to her wrist. He is leaping high into the air, carefree but tethered. Are they communicating through their thoughts? At her feet are two red roses. She is dressed in a robe of deep pink satin and her cloak is a creamy satin, lined with a resonant light blue. In her right hand is a golden cup; in her left is the book of the law, or maybe it is the writings within our own subconscious mind. She wears a crown of jewels. The sea is slightly choppy. She gazes out with those same eyes that see deeply within. She seems to be preoccupied with the unseen world and draws us into her reverie. She is seated upon a deep pink throne, and the sky is filled with pale to deep pink clouds against a medium-blue sky.

Joan Bunning says: "Because she has a sweet, loving and sensitive nature, the Queen of Cups has a kind word for everyone and never reacts with anger or impatience. There is a gentleness about her that soothes and calms. Compassion is her watchword. Her reactions to the world are guided by her feelings. In all matters, she lets her heart lead the way. She senses emotional currents and knows what others are experiencing without having to ask. She is never moody, but understands moods and their influence. She trusts her intuition and so is more open to knowledge that comes from within herself and beyond. She is often moved by the beauty and tragedy of life. The Queen of Cups feels deeply and has a reverence for all aspects of God's creation. Her love includes and embraces everyone and everything."

Sophie-David

Did You Have to Mention the Dolphin?

MoonMaiden said:
A lovely figure, the Connolly Queen of Cups, is floating on the sea. How she reminds us of the High Priestess, tho without turtle! :)
There is a larger picture of the Queen of Cups here. Thank you MoonMaiden for a wonderful description of such a gorgeous card. Of the queens in many decks it is the Queen of Swords who usually grabs my imagination, but in this deck the Queen of Cups "takes my breath away". Yes, I do see this particular interpretation of the card as relating closely to the High Priestess, this queen is the incarnation of that archetype at the personal level.

I have a feeling I should know this, but do some High Priestesses have turtles?

MoonMaiden said:
She does, however, have a dolphin playmate who is attached by a cord tied around his flipper and leading to her wrist. He is leaping high into the air, carefree but tethered. Are they communicating through their thoughts?
I realize that I've always tried to ignore this aspect, not wanting to be overwhelmed by the imagery. This line is like an umbilicus, attaching the conscious Queen to the wild passion of her unconsious energy. There is also a special resonance for me in the relationship of the dolphin and the Queen. It is against policy to link directly, but if you go to my website, then select the Site Map, then "The Storm", you will see how in the preparatory phase to uniting with the Inner Beloved, the dream ego sacrificed his life, becoming a spirit dolphin. On the next page of the narrative, the consequence of this sacrifice is the union with the Inner Beloved, who is the archetype of the High Priestess reflected at the personal level. This card is strongly evocative of that union.
MoonMaiden said:
At her feet are two red roses. She is dressed in a robe of deep pink satin and her cloak is a creamy satin, lined with a resonant light blue. In her right hand is a golden cup; in her left is the book of the law, or maybe it is the writings within our own subconscious mind. She wears a crown of jewels. The sea is slightly choppy. She gazes out with those same eyes that see deeply within. She seems to be preoccupied with the unseen world and draws us into her reverie. She is seated upon a deep pink throne, and the sky is filled with pale to deep pink clouds against a medium-blue sky.
I also notice how green the sea is, like the fertility of the Empress. This same green pervades the Connolly Wands.