4 Batons - Contrasting the Dodal and Conver

jmd

The Minchiate threads have proved rather interesting reading (and contributing for those who have!).

Simultaneously, however, I would also like to (albeit however slowly) continue the contrast threads. So here I resume our work.

Dodal ->
dodal_B4.jpg
Conver ->
conver_B4.jpg

What is originally striking about these two is the general similarity of depiction. Those Batons, irrespective of their possible derivation (and as is standardly repeated, as alterations from Mamluk polo-stick depictions) each have endings that are somewhat reminiscent of a blade of some kind.

If I had to describe it, actually, what would first come to mind is the halberd (though simpler than the version used by the Swiss Guard), and somewhat stylised.

For the sake of reference, below is a British halberd dating from the 1770-1780s:

Halberd_MORR1913.jpg

Also of similarity between the Dodal and Conver is the floral depiction. Here, the leaves on the sides in each case 'twirl', and (as to be expected, but still worth mentioning) the plant faces away from the centre in both the upper and lower depiction.

If it was not for the distinctness between flower heads, it would make the card reversible in terms of depiction. So here is a detail that becomes important, and that each deck works with in a different fashion: it seems that either each flower-head is of a different species, or, perhaps mmore likely, they are depicted at a different stage of unfoldment, with one side in full bloom, and the other either already wilting or about to bloom (depending on how one sees the depiction).

Another striking similarity in these two specific decks (remembering that variants exist for each deck model, even when the same woodblocks were used) is that the central portion is coloured differently to the other parts of the background: that red centre seems out of place from a 'photographic' perspective of four batons, leaves and flower cuttings on a white (or offwhite) background.

Finally (for now), both decks number this card in the Roman additive style.

Rafaël

4 de Batons compared

Hello all,

It might be interesting to look at other simmilar decks:

4x4deBatonslow.jpg

--------- Viéville ----------------- Dusserre Dodal ------------ Conver LS ------------ Conver Héron

Note that in the Dodal the leafs are not connected with the intersection.
Nor does the flowers on the Dodal and the Convers.
It's only on the Viéville that there are 2 other flowers blossoming out of the middle section.

And while we're busy, we can as well look at what Hadar and Jodo/Camoin made of it:

4deBatonshadarJodolow.jpg

---------- Hadar ---------------- Jodorowsky / Camoin

Jodo/Camoin clearly took the Conver as a base to work on. Hadar got his inspiration from the Dodal. But why didn't he take over the roman numbers?! And he made a connection between the leaf and the intersection with two green "pearls"... why's that?

The thoughest question for me is: which one of the ancient tarot do I choose to base an interpretation upon...?

Rafaël

Yves Le Marseillais

Past and FUTURE Historical decks

Rafaël said:
Hello all,

It might be interesting to look at other simmilar decks:

4x4deBatonslow.jpg

--------- Viéville ----------------- Dusserre Dodal ------------ Conver LS ------------ Conver Héron

Note that in the Dodal the leafs are not connected with the intersection.
Nor does the flowers on the Dodal and the Convers.
It's only on the Viéville that there are 2 other flowers blossoming out of the middle section.

And while we're busy, we can as well look at what Hadar and Jodo/Camoin made of it:

4deBatonshadarJodolow.jpg

---------- Hadar ---------------- Jodorowsky / Camoin

Jodo/Camoin clearly took the Conver as a base to work on. Hadar got his inspiration from the Dodal. But why didn't he take over the roman numbers?! And he made a connection between the leaf and the intersection with two green "pearls"... why's that?

The thoughest question for me is: which one of the ancient tarot do I choose to base an interpretation upon...?

Rafaël

Hello Rafael and all,

About Hadar "green pearls"
Just.... question him and as a creator (like Philippe TourrasseAKA Camoin, Rhodes/Sanchez i.e) he should be adequate position to reply you isn' it ?

About choosing an ancient tarot deck:
Stangely, you classified Hadar and Philippe/Jodo in this category.
But they issued their respective decks in:
Hadar 1996
Philippe/Jodo 1997

and Rhodes/Sanchez in 2003 as you already knows.

I strongly suggest you to:
Wait and See because other decks will soon be issued with other variations that will cause you an additional trouble in your choice hesitation.

I just can guarantie you that the more you wait the more you'll be satisfied my friend.

I love past Historical Decks but I already love future Historicaly based ... Deck.

Be patient for a while

Regards,

Yves LM

Bernice

I notice that the side leaf-decoration doesn't intersect the centre in the Noblet (flornoy) and the Spanish tarot. And although the top & bottom florals are different, they are both closest in design to the Dodal.

Thankyou for posting those scans.

Bee :)