Madame Endora's Study ...The Golem

Livia

Well - I thought I sould start another.
"A close Friend Act on you Behalf" - very appropriate

We discussed the Golem in the Gothic by Vargo study group, and since these decks are so related I thought I would copy my comments here with a few modifications....

"in Jewish legend, a man artificially created by cabalistic rites; robot; automaton. [Hebrew , orig. embryo; later monster]" - Websters New Universal Unabridged Dictionary

I believe the story goes that a Rabbi in Prague created a golem to help the people, the Jewish people and the poor people were being attacked by mobs (or something like that). He molded a man out of clay, walked around it 7 times and said "Shanti, Shanti, Dahat, Dahat!" as the Cabahah perscribed. The golem helped around town by night, cleaning and protecting until the rabbi decided to teach him/her/it to eat and then to read, and it decided it would like to be real and attacked the townspeople, who ran it off never to be seen again. There are many versons of this...

It just reminds me of prague...if you haven't been and have the chance, go! The artwork there is so beautiful, and the people are so nice. The artwork is heavily Art Nouveau. Madame Endora's cards have a modern take on the art nouveau style. Prague has such a beautiful center for the Jewish community, that suffered so much during the war.

This card is a much more protective/ominous figure, and the scroll work behind reminds me of a gate. What kind of work is our freind doing for us?

Chronata

This one is a hard call for me.

The card states that the golem is supposed to be a protection...and a friend acting on your behalf...
Though I really do wonder if this "friend" has your best interest at heart?

Like you, Livia...I find this card rather ominous too.

And it has come up a lot for readings lately.

My thought at the moment is to read the Golem like an energy that has been put into motion.
You may not even know that you put it into motion...but there it is...and there it goes...

It could be for good or ill...but it is now a big thing that lumbers about when you can't be there to address the situation personally...

Is it a secret you have told? A rumor that is about you behind your back? Is it a plan you set into motion? Or an order that you have given?
Is it a friend that speaks for you? Or someone who speaks against you?

Whatever it is ...to me it feels like the flick of a domino that crashes into another domino...setting off a chain reaction.

An energy that you have loosed...and hopefully, with the right amount of preperation, will allow you to succeed in your endeavors.

As a protection or guardian? well...I can kind of see that too...but not one that is hovering over you...rather a protection that goes off to do your dirty work for you.

Livia

I like that idea of energy. Perhaps that is what a golem really is, and alagory for an energy that has been sent out in the world.
Great insight. Thanks

Deidrui

The Golem

Chronata said:
This one is a hard call for me.

The card states that the golem is supposed to be a protection...and a friend acting on your behalf...
Though I really do wonder if this "friend" has your best interest at heart?

I have to agree with you Chronata. Looking closely at the card they eyes seem to peer out at you. For me the Green eyed monster which in most cases is jealousy. So is the friend acting on your behalf in a good way or is acting out.....

I also notce the swirls in the background. Lots of confusion maybe or tension is the best word to use. This card could go either way.

sprite

i guess i have to be the oddball here, although i understand your thoughts i see the golem as that loyal, protective, trustworthy friend. they stand tall and wearing the armour ready to take on the world for you. being your protection, your guidance and that force to give you that push. standing in front of the gate armed and ready if you want her you have to be ready to deal with me. for me this is the person, the extra bit of strength, the guidance that i would want beside me; ready to defend me and give me that extra push.

sagitarian

I see those glowing eyes, and that is creepy. I can understand the protective guard, all that armor/stone. I don't know, to me, this is kinda a creepy card. It's like, a guard standing in front of a gate, protecting against those who aren't allowed "in", and I get this strong feeling that you don't even want to challenge him.

A close friend acts on your behalf - if this is "true" in a reading, then I would see it as, a close friend defending you against something serious. I don't so much see it as, a friend lending you some money in your time of need, but more like, defending your honor in some way. Perhaps a s/o thinks the querent is cheating, or s/he is abusive, and this "friend" is willing to get in this guy's/girl's face and tell him or her off, standing their ground, but in a matter where the querent is the one being defended.

Protecting another's "honor" very forcefully is how I interpret it.

Sagitarian

December Fairy

All the spikes sticking out on helmet, shoulders & elbows looks like your in for quit a battle. Or maybe the person with ill will toward you is in for the battle?

inanna_tarot

hmm the Golem is something unconnected, something that has no axe to grind and acts as a catalyst for the situation. There is no desire from the Golem.
The eyes are really spooky, but then they do say that the eyes are the windows to the soul, well what sort of eyes do you have if you have no soul?

I get a feeling of the gatekeeper. Someone that doesnt change but is only there to check you are ready to accept responsibility for what you are going to do. The Golem isnt the initiator but hes damn close to it. He is almost the last time to run away before being committed to something.
So in that way a friend becomes the Golem for short time, maybe telling you ' you look really bad in that dress' or saying 'do you think this is a wise course of action' that little chat girlies sometimes have in the toilets lol. A close friend asks those questions that no one else will because they know they can ask and accept the verbal attack it brings but without taking it to heart, acting in your best interests. The Golem is the friend that says you've had enough to drink, and will make sure u get home okay.

I like the golem now I can see where I have been the Golem and others have been the Golem for me.

Sezo
x

squeakmo9

I see the Golem as too much of a good thing, something that needs monitoring and open eyes, at all times. If there is a casualness, or complacency regarding a circumstance or relationship, The Golem may bite you in the ass, for a rude awakening.

indianstorm

the golem

i have been reading all of the entries with so much interest. thank you all for the rich information :)

i drew the Golem card yesterday- i was doing the oracle of the 4 winds spread- the Golem landed on the East which represents the oracle of the Future realm-

there are 3 ways of looking at this card-

1. as an individual- a friend who's trust you have earned and therefore will do anything for you- defend you or put in a good word for you even :) this is a friendship that i may or may not be aware of-- if had been aware of such a friend- i may have without realising abused that friendship.

2. A situation- perhaps a situation will work out because i may have gained the trust of the universe- and therefore will make my dream/wish come true. i would have had to have worked hard for this -- so the Golem could represent the friendly universe that can work in your favour or against you-
sort of- 'ye reap as ye sow'

3. an energy- i look at this as the energy or forces within me-- my own internal ley lines- the subconscious mind- i may have been secretly longing for something and have subconsciously be working towards my goal- the golem is my subconscious that works to serve me/ protect me/ nurture me..etc,while in the physical world that which i am aware of-- i have to deal with everyday living which may not serve my true needs etc.

incidentally-- i should say- in the west position which is the oracle of the Past realm- i drew the Sun- perseverance is rewarded--

west + east= sun + golem

rewards are reaped from unconscious efforts that are working in my favour. i have earned it tho' :)

what do you guy's think?