4s and 8s as stable base

Blacktulip06

I saw several times here on AF when were prominence of 4s or 8s in a reading about relationships that you needed a build a stable base of the relationship, or you had it or you didn't have it. Whatever...

I wonder which is the difference between the stable base you have with a prominence of 4s and the one you have with 8s?

tarotbear

The only difference, really, is that 8 is 4 x 2, so 8 still represents stabilty in a reading. Think of it as a box resting on top of another box.

Thirteen

I saw several times here on AF when were prominence of 4s or 8s in a reading about relationships that you needed a build a stable base of the relationship, or you had it or you didn't have it. Whatever...
Well, 4's can actually indicate that things are too stable. Consider the 4/Pents or the 4/Cups. There the situation is so stable that it's gone still and stagnant. In those instances, a reader might say the opposite, that you need to change, move, shake things up.

The 4's are sometimes said to reflect the Emperor and his throne. Those four legs mean that things are solid and stable, organized. Also like a good foundation capable of holding up whatever you'd like to build upon it.

Blacktulip06

So if 4's means things are too stable what do you say about 8's, Thirteen? I was thinking that actually the 8's of each element doesn't show lack of movement or pause:
8 of Coins - the guy in the picture is working on smth, he's building smth
8 of Swords - the woman is stuck but she has the possibility to move away if she wants
8 of Cups - the guy in the picture is actually leaving, he's moving
8 of Wands - well, this is the fastest card in the whole deck... lol

Thirteen

4 corners, 4 walls

So if 4's means things are too stable what do you say about 8's, Thirteen? I was thinking that actually the 8's of each element doesn't show lack of movement or pause
Well, first, not all 4's are "too stable." The "too stable" 4's are the ones with elements that are already inclined to be quiet (Water/Earth). They stay still and you might not be able to get them moving again. But 4/Wands and 4/Swords benefit from that moment of stillness because they're always on the move. The foundation--4/corners--has been laid down and one can pause to enjoy that before moving onto the next step.

As for the 8's, well, if you've got 4 corners the next four things you're likely to create are walls. Walls limit you--but they also protect you. The 8's are about the benefits or detriments of those walls, of rules or working within limitations. We have a negative reaction to the word "rules" and limits--but rules and limits are not always bad things--consider how rules on air and water keep both clean for us, and even inspire people to be inventive, like creating solar and wind energy. Consider the wild kid with no focus who goes into the army and thrives on finally having rules to follow.

Thus, in the 8/Pents, the person learns discipline, a work ethic that makes him productive. In the 8/Wands the energy is focused and suddenly moves incredibly fast because it it channeled in a narrow way rather than spreading out all over the place. 8/Cups is sometimes viewed as the "morning after" card. Meaning you finally get tired of indulging and decide to sober up (I, personally, like to see it as "leaving the drama" of all those emotions). And then there's the opposite side--8/Swords. Too many limits on speech and thought can make you feel afraid to say or think anything.

What you have to remember is that what the card number stands for (4 = stability) will have a different effect on each suit. It makes no sense after all for "stability" to have the same effect on Pentacles (Earth) as it does on Swords (Air). Likewise for the 8's. Limitations create a different result for each suit.

Yes?