Is there a "best" Thoth?

KaiMoonshadow

I would really like to add a Thoth to my collection at some point but I'm not really sure what versions are available and if there is a major difference - is there a "best" Thoth?

Amazon stock one in a green box, which I believe is the large-size and my local bookshop has a smaller set in a blue box... is the difference purely in size?

What types of Thoth are there?

Many thanks! :)

HearthCricket

I"m so glad you asked this! I also want to add one Thoth deck to my collection, but I want the "prettiest" version, and not sure which one that would be!

<~~~Into pretty decks!

Abrac

KaiMoonshadow-

I have both the small AG Muller deck in the blue box and the US Games version in the lavender box with three versions of The Magus. In my opinion the US Games version is actually slightly better - better saturation and richer colors. The card stock is virtually identical in both. As far as which Thoth is the "best," it is really a matter of opinion, but I've heard a lot of people say they are very pleased with the US Games in the lavender box. I have an older large version with green borders and greenish hue to the cards. This is my personal favorite, but I have only seen one version of the "geenie" that has the rich and pleasing green color this one has. It is an older US Games version in a white box. There are other greenies as well, but they are slightly disturbing, in my opinon.

The large version in the green box you saw at Amazon is a larger version of the one in the lavender box.

-fof

gregory

I have several. I just got a USG in the greeny box (because NONE of mine had the UCH card !) - and it is printed by Muller - who also printed the ones in the European blue box.... Of the editions availanle NEW, I think they are actually all printed by the same people - though the green box one does haev creamier coloured borders. No idea why !

All the new ones have white borders to the backs - arrgh. But the ones that don't (available used on e-bay) the printing isn't as clear. And the greenie hue was only in one edition of the white slide box decks (look at the tarot garden page, linked in one of the threads Marion listed), and you'd only find it on e-bay - as I did. It is an acquired taste which many never acquire.

But one thing - I would go for a larger one. The smaller decks just don't feel right or look as good !

Sheri

So many Thoth decks, so little $$$$

When I was ready to get a Thoth and see what all the hubbub was about, LittleBuddha also suggested the large size deck. It was difficult because I was torn between the extra Magus cards or the large size. I opted for the large size and I am really glad I did! They are very flexible and easy to shuffle even though they are large.

So I second Gregory - go for the large deck! :D

valeria

Abrac

gregory said:
But one thing - I would go for a larger one. The smaller decks just don't feel right or look as good !

I have to agree with you gregory. I just got my small and large decks out side-by-side, and while this small deck looks pretty good, the large one does seem nicer to me too, as far as image quality goes. The large deck is flexible, but I haven't really gotten the nack of shuffling it. I usually end up playing 78-card pickup. The small deck is super easy for me to shuffle. As valeria alluded to, it's always a trade-off. I'm still looking for the "perfect deck." :)

-fof

Balsamo

I had a large Thoth deck - read with it a lot for several years, as well.

Most excellent deck, one I connected with - and most of the professional readers I see on the Avenue seem to be using a similar pack today.

Sometime during the late 80's, I started using that pack of cards as markers -
they've been left in hotels, hostels, guest houses, trail registers and the like all over the planet, often with inscriptions and drawings added.

There's a fairly unused smaller copy in my desk, but Im getting comfortable enough with the Dali cards that I think it's not going to get much play any time soon.

HearthCricket

Well, I have ordered the little blue Thoth and the purple box Thoth, so we shall see how I like them. If I want something bigger I shall Thoth some more!

Sandman

gregory said:
I have several. I just got a USG in the greeny box (because NONE of mine had the UCH card !) - and it is printed by Muller - who also printed the ones in the European blue box.... Of the editions availanle NEW, I think they are actually all printed by the same people - though the green box one does haev creamier coloured borders. No idea why !

I thought the blue box ones did have the UCH in them. I know the new ones are not the same as the old.

I also agree that I would go for the larger decks.

Sandman