6 swords versus 8 cups

BLFO

They both mean that a person is moving on to something better, but can someone explain how they differ? I was told that 6 swords is about destiny moving you to a new phase in life for the better (like you have no choice, because time is forcing you to move on), but 8 Cups is a conscious choice of wanting to move on, because you can't take staying in a negative situation any longer.

Am I correct?

Thirteen

BLFO said:
They both mean that a person is moving on to something better, but can someone explain how they differ? I was told that 6 swords is about destiny moving you to a new phase in life for the better (like you have no choice, because time is forcing you to move on), but 8 Cups is a conscious choice of wanting to move on, because you can't take staying in a negative situation any longer.
You are correct that 8/Cups is a more conscious decision than in 6/swords, but there are two more differences to keep in mind:

1) What you are leaving:

6/Swords is a person is leaving behind rough waters, troubles, confusion. They didn't like where they were, and are happy to be leaving it behind.

8/Cups is about leaving things you know and love, the comforts of home, security, family. You have to keep that in mind. The guy who is walking away in 8/Cups is making a hard decision. He isn't walking away from troubles or problems, he's walking away from comfort and security, from all he knows and has loved.

2) What you're head towards:

6/Swords is heading toward quiet waters, maybe even a shore. This is certainly something better. Maybe even much better. The mind calms down, people communicate, troubles receed, and up-ahead may be an answer to many problems.

8/Cups does not promise that the guy is heading toward anything better. He's following the Moon--his dreams, his visions. He may find that it was all hallucination and none of it can be made real. He's going to try and make it real...but that doesn't mean it's going to be easy for him.

Examples:

6/Swords is like someone working out a difficult engineering problem. People argue, it looks like it can't be done. There's a deadline, there are demands, there are all sorts of issues...the person is involved in arguments, feels like they'll never get there, and knows if they don't that their career is sunk. THEN 6/Swords! Ah-ha! Wait! An answer is in sight. People calm down. "Yes," they say, "that might work!" Suddenly, the waters are not so rough, and there is a chance of reaching that other shore. Suddenly, there's smoother sailing and things are much better.

8/Cups is a guy who wants to be a musician. At the moment, he has a nice apartment, he has family, friends, security and comfort. But in his heart, he's unfulfilled. It's a troubling thing, because it means saying good-bye to all he knows and loves and going on the road with his guitar. He'll have to audition, face rejection; live in strange places and deal with strange people; he's going to be completely out of his comfort zone, with no one to support or help him. All on his own, following that dream...and maybe he'll end up finding out that he has no talent, and what he was following was just an illusion. But he has to do it all the same. That's 8/Cups.

That help?

jayem

i see 8 of cups more as a moving on, and never looking back. sort of like that bible story of when god destroyed sodom and gemorrah, he told the guy (i forgot the families name, can you tell i dont read the bible much?) to keep walking and never turn around no matter what happens. thats how i see it. in this card, i feel its more planned out... like you know where youre going. with 6 of swords, i consider it moving forward, but with no plan. basically a trip to the unknown. i guess you could say one is a concious decision and one is almost forced. the RWS image for 6 of swords always reminds me of refugees, where the 8 of cups reminds me of somebody on a mission or a quest.

Thirteen

jayem said:
the RWS image for 6 of swords always reminds me of refugees, where the 8 of cups reminds me of somebody on a mission or a quest.
That's a nice distinction!

wytchwood

I would agree with others that the 6 of swords would be leaving a bad situation in search of greener pastures, whereas the 8 of cups indicates leaving a comfortable situation behind as it's time to move on.

Zoe