Is it bad luck to buy your own deck?

matchyg

I heard That it is bad luck to buy your own tarot deck is this true?

thanks

Jade

Yora

Njo.... :p Now if you firmly believe in this, it will be true for you, by your own fears!! (That is what i think at least. ^_~)

Yora.

a_shikhs

Hi matchyg,
Even i have heard many of these rumours. It is not at all bad luck to buy your own deck. I bought my very first deck myself. And since then i have bought all the decks i own till now. These are all myths and nothing else. :)

Zephyros

I bought the first deck I ever owned, and I had to wait for some one to give me a deck, then I would never have gotten any. I don't know where the myth that you had to have a deck given to you originated, but it makes no sense at all, in my opinion...

brenmck

....I'd still be waiting. Who makes these things up, anyway? :cool4:

~B~

Crowqueen

Of course not! I suppose though the logic in this is that tarot has to choose you, rather than you choosing tarot, but there is a better way to do it, as I did.

Browse eBay, think to yourself you want to find the best deck (make sure you make it an affirmation - power of positive thinking and all that: "I will find the tarot deck that is right for me"), and buy the cheapest new one out there. It worked for me - I was looking for one to make predictions for the local elections in the UK last month, and the only one that was within my price range at the time was Lo Scarabeo's Avalon Tarot. Rationally speaking it's a lousy deck for a newcomer and the art is, let us say, not something to show Granny, but on the other hand the World card has a map of Great Britain on it, so I couldn't get any closer to the deck I had envisaged to read for Tony Blair with (OK I dislike him intensely but he is at least interesting to read for)! I keep it in a pouch with a Lion and a Unicorn sewn onto it as symbols of Britain - I also did Her Majesty's spread for her, something which in the 17th century I could have been executed for ;) It wasn't good either :(.

I would feel difficult personally about buying a used one, or selling off one of mine, as I suppose they have my imprint over them and it might be difficult for someone else to over-ride their characteristics.

tarotbear

Buy your own deck! OH NO!

Horrible things will befall you if you do!

You will start with one deck, and soon buy another, and another, and soon not be able to stop!

You will frequent forums like this one and find out that you are not alone - there are thousands of you out there who find out that once you open a tarot deck you will become addicted - to shuffling, reading the cards, writing in journals, doing readings for friends, charging fees -- OH - it just doesn't end!

RUN! RUN AWAY! {It helps if you play coconuts like horse hoove's galloping when you do this ...}

euripides

tarotbear said:
Buy your own deck! OH NO!

You will start with one deck, and soon buy another, and another, and soon not be able to stop! ......

RUN! RUN AWAY! {It helps if you play coconuts like horse hoove's galloping when you do this ...}

*snort, chuckle* - - oh you are so funny.... and its so true! I can't help myself!

I scoured the nearby countryside to find my first deck (RWS) and got my second and third on Ebay. I too would wait forever for someone else to give me one! Though DH, when he's been on a trip, will sometimes say 'I saw this tarot... I nearly bought it, but wasn't sure if it was 'you' or not....'

If you feel, because you've absorbed that story of bad luck, that there might be some bad karma floating around, why not do something to clear that. Make a small donation to a charity, and place whatever magical symbol you believe in (a cross, stone, buddha....) in the bag with your new deck. That should do the trick. The first part (the donation - or you could do a charitable act, if you haven't got cash) - is important, as I think 'what goes around comes around'.

cheers
Euri

brenmck

Crowqueen said:
I would feel difficult personally about buying a used one, or selling off one of mine, as I suppose they have my imprint over them and it might be difficult for someone else to over-ride their characteristics.

Thought-provoking point, though I've only traded for a few decks. A couple have been real busts simply because I couldn't connect with them, but two in particular, the Alchemical and the Jungian, work very well for me.
I have never consciously felt a trace of the previous owners' energies or imprints, but I have wondered about that possiblity. With all your energy, CQ, your decks probably glow in the dark. :cool4:

~B~