Madame Endora's (Secret Circle) Study Group: The Wyvern

squeakmo9

The Wyvern ~Your secrets Are Safe~

From the book:
"The Wyvern is the keeper of secrets and the granter of second chances. It may also represent a conflict or feelings of guilt. Now is the time to forgive past transgressions."

I really don't know what the mythology of a wyvern is, so I'm going at this strictly from intuition.
I see the wyvern as a creature that appears fierce, but is more concerned for it's own well-being. Like a dog that starts barking the moment it senses a stranger nearing its home. It is not really protecting the home in as much as fearing the "thing" approaching. So it seems like an insecure type. At the same time, I think it is able to possess great tenacity, and determination. With some experience it is able to learn when to enter into conflict and when to just step back.
In its figure I see the head of Leo(determined), the wings of Scorpio(transformation), the legs of Taurus(builder), and the last fixed sign attributed to the tail-Aquarius...a mix of fire and air giving forth inspiration in sharing/teaching. I sense a true warrior that needs to understand that the battle is over, but that other challenges await having to do now with creating win-win situations.

Any other thoughts/insights on this card?

MysticalMoose

Hi

The Wyvern is a mythical beast that symbolises Strength, endurance, power & conquest!
To me he almost seems to be looking back at someone or thing as if to say, Im watching you, dont even think about it!!! - I am on guard! (guarding those secrets perhaps?)

.traveller.

This card comes up alot in my readings and I have been trying to puzzle out it's meaning. In Heraldry, it stands for strength, power and endurance and I find that the most reliable definition from a historical standpoint. Contemporary fantasy literature points to slavish obedience, stupidity, and aggression. I remember a wyvern in the Dragonriders of Pern books, it was a watchdog and possessed the characteristics of both sets of definitions.

I do wonder where the "second chances" mentioned in the lwb comes from, I like the idea of a card with this meaning but I wonder how it fits. Perhaps if one is pigheaded enough (some might say determined) to pursue something, you'll get that "second chance"?