A deck from 1978

greycats

I bought this deck on ebay as a novelty. The deck (major arcana only) is entirely hand painted on very heavy cardboard. Its art is quite abstract, but most of the time the figures are recognizable (see attachment). The cards came in a heavy, fliptop brown box to which is affixed a sort of presentation card. On the card is the title "Tarot," a signature, "Medin A." and the date: 1978. Titles on the cards are hand lettered in French.

Can anyone tell me more about this deck? :)

Attachments

• medin redu.jpg
    medin redu.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 163

lilacwino

Wow, what a find! Sorry I don't know anything about it, but it's pretty art work and sounds like something to treasure. :)

Papageno

1978 that was a good year :cool2:

what a great find!!! can you show us more?

I wonder if that's Alexander Medin?

greycats

Papageno said:
1978 that was a good year :cool2:

what a great find!!! can you show us more?

I wonder if that's Alexander Medin?

I don't know, really. :neutral: I did a quick search on Alexander Medin which didn't turn up any paintings. I might try again later.

Anyway, here are a few more images from the deck. Actually, the first is from the box. It's glued on and shows the signature and date. The rest of the cards are titled and numbered. My personal favorite is "La Force," which seems to depict a person standing firmly in the middle of a whirlwind.

Also, I've included the edges of the cards in a couple of the images so one can get an idea of how thick the cards are.

The card backs, btw, are an unpatterned dark blue, slightly textured.

Attachments

• Medin pre red2.jpg
    Medin pre red2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Medin fool redu.jpg
    Medin fool redu.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Medin lovers redu.jpg
    Medin lovers redu.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 65
  • Medin emp redu.jpg
    Medin emp redu.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Medin force redu.jpg
    Medin force redu.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 72

Papageno

thanks greycats

Alexander Medin.....according to my Googling, is a Yoga instructor

Medin A. I don't know if that's the same person, but the connection with spiritual pursuits might indicate a possible connection.

OnePotato

Wow.

These are very interesting.

That signature looks like "Médina" to me.
(Or "Medina" if that is just a streak of paint, and not an accent.)
The "a" is not uppercase.
There is also a period after 1978.

Searching "Médina" in quotes on Google seems to imply that it may perhaps be a place name, and not a signature.

Medina. 1978.

It's not unusual for a European (French) artist to write the place & date on a work.

Either way, still pretty cool!

Papageno

OnePotato said:
These are very interesting.

That signature looks like "Médina" to me.
(Or "Medina" if that is just a streak of paint, and not an accent.)
The "a" is not uppercase.
There is also a period after 1978.

Searching "Médina" in quotes on Google seems to imply that it may perhaps be a place name, and not a signature.

Medina. 1978.

It's not unusual for a European (French) artist to write the place & date on a work.

Either way, still pretty cool!

may not necessarily have been a Euro (French) artist if the origin was in fact Medina/Saudi Arabia. the Arab upper class is fluent in French.
a really fascinating find and mystery