A new de-enabling thread

BrightEye

I'm still keen on those playing cards. I went looking again. Those flower thingies by Grandeville still look charming to me. What is it? I feel ashamed of myself!

Formicida

Llewellyn

Most of the de-enabling for the Llewellyn so far has been focused on the publishing company than the deck itself, which might be painting with a broader brush than is called for. I've got some negative things to say about the deck itself.

I love Welsh mythology, and I was really excited when I heard about the concept for this deck. Then I looked at the cards, and that was enough to de-enable me. The minors are pure RWS. Sure, they're pretty, but the world just doesn't need another pretty RWS clone, especially in a deck where they could have done something interesting with the minors.

If you're into RWS clones, though, the majors are probably a bit far-fetched for you. Look at the World card, think about everything you know about the World card and everything you don't know about Welsh mythology, and give it a pass.

magpie9

To add to that, look at how small, pale and detailed the images are...they need to be larger and not so very wispy to be appreciated, and understood.
Serious eyestrain here, folks. I too thought this deck was going to Rock, and it just doesn't.

jackdaw*

And there's such a discrepancy between the artwork of the majors and the minors. It's like two different decks altogether.

Le Fanu

The Kingdom Within....

The way The High Priestess is - dare I say this? - lowering herself onto that protruding Tree of Life is little short of indecent...

*faints*

wytchwood

That Kingdom Within tarot... I don't like the look of it at all! I have a 'universal' view of spirituality, and feel that all paths have truth at their heart and would originally have contained the same basic message and so on, but even for a cherry picker like myself, this cobbling together of Shakti and the Quabbalah and the rest is just too clumsy for words. And my goodness I have to agree with Le Fanu about that 'birthing' image that is not nice and she does look like she's lowering herself onto it. Than there's biscuit man on the Magician, and the artwork is generally horrible.

*sigh* So let me have a pop at the Llewellyn next. Ok, the Majors seem forced to fit various Welsh legends, some of them are nasty, like the neck hanging on the Hanged Man card. there is a significant difference in the artwork between the Majors and Minors, the Minors seem like an afterthought, being a direct RWS clone in a rougher style than the Majors. It's like a Majors only deck with minors added on after. The cardstock is thin, cheap and warpy and far too slippy. I am ready to trade mine if this doesn't work ;)

gregory

OK - I think we are getting there.... The HP is rather :(. And there is a lot of BLOOD....

Certainly not at that price then. Thanks !

wytchwood

Lol!! Kingdom Within again- Johhny Depp is lowering a guy over the edge of a boat on the Hanged Man.

Noooo! And there's beetle coming out of a turd on the Moon.... lol!!

gregory

wytchwood said:
Noooo! And there's beetle coming out of a turd on the Moon.... lol!!
You are risking re-enabling me.... })

karen0205

The Kingdom Within

I really tried to find one person who wasn't hideous. Couldn't find one.
They all look like they're crazy or they are just plain weird looking, like there's
just something off about their faces. Too much digital work on this deck for me.

Also, What's with the Sun card? A naked guy riding on a lion?
Who rides a lion? and naked too? yuk. Plus he has a set of abs that look like a rib roast.