A new de-enabling thread

Stormdancer

Swietlistej Drogi???

HoKay...I'm here cause i need help.

I am thinking of a buy/trade for this deck. What do I need to know that will change my mind??? I seem to be doing more collecting rather than reading, but the idea that the book is in Polish is attractive. Then I won't be bogged down...and can use the deck intuitively...just as soon as I start actually READING...LOL. I am fascinated by what I've seen of the artwork in this deck. Take a look at my profile....those of you who are more experienced will probably see a pattern that illustrates what I like and feel I can use.

UM---*GULP*-- help?

Stormdancer

Rob

stormdancer339 said:
HoKay...I'm here cause i need help.

I am thinking of a buy/trade for this deck. What do I need to know that will change my mind??? I seem to be doing more collecting rather than reading, but the idea that the book is in Polish is attractive. Then I won't be bogged down...and can use the deck intuitively...just as soon as I start actually READING...LOL. I am fascinated by what I've seen of the artwork in this deck. Take a look at my profile....those of you who are more experienced will probably see a pattern that illustrates what I like and feel I can use.

UM---*GULP*-- help?

Stormdancer

It's a beautiful deck and the art is unlike any deck I've seen, but it's not exactly traditional. If you're willing to take the time to explore it, I think it would be a very intriguing deck. I have to admit that it's not my style - I prefer esoteric symbolism decks and decks like the Magic Realist variety, personally. I can't read Polish so I can't attest to the quality of the text, but the book is of comparable heft to the Magic Realist kit books (perhaps slightly bigger).

While the art is unique, it's not everyone's style - the all black backgrounds do take an element of depth away. At the same time, it has a rather primitive feel, almost like the art is etched in an onyx plate. Again, it's a matter of tastes.

The deck itself comes in a very cheap plastic case that cracks extremely easily - in fact I'm not sure one can find one that isn't cracked (mine came that way brand new). The box is not suitable for putting on a shelf, so I would recommend keeping the deck in a bag. That's one area in which I was a bit disappointed - the packaging belies the value and cost of the deck. Still, the cardstock is very nice, it's not obnoxiously overlaminated, and the art is of high quality.

Overall, I think it could make a good reading deck if you have time to explore the slightly different symbolism from standard decks (and especially if you can read the Polish companion book!) If you like decks with dark backgrounds, this would appeal to you much more than if you like flowery, happy-go-fairy decks. Still, it's not an angry or depressing deck, nor does it specifically appeal to the shadow side (in my opinion).

Despite the fact that you're considering this deck from me, I hope I've given my fair first impressions. :) I hope others with more experience using the deck will help you come to an informed decision!

Debra

Don't listen to Strategeus. He's being even-handed. That is SO WRONG! This thread is devoted to the Cry For Help from De-enablers.

Off-center printing, ugly typeface, misspelled English words--that's what first catches my eye when I look at this deck.

Misshapen people. Random-ish esoteric symbolism inserted here and there. That's the second look.

Poorly composed images, hard to see. That's the third look.

Fourth look: Traditional RWS, eh? Nothing to add? So why so much money?

Oh, I know...it's the color scheme. And the black/silver/gold is indeed lovely. For five bucks you can get a skein of yarn with those colors and knit or crochet yourself a fab scarf for winter!

Rob

Debra said:
Don't listen to Strategeus. He's being even-handed. That is SO WRONG! This thread is devoted to the Cry For Help from De-enablers.

Off-center printing, ugly typeface, misspelled English words--that's what first catches my eye when I look at this deck.

Misshapen people. Random-ish esoteric symbolism inserted here and there. That's the second look.

Poorly composed images, hard to see. That's the third look.

Fourth look: Traditional RWS, eh? Nothing to add? So why so much money?

Oh, I know...it's the color scheme. And the black/silver/gold is indeed lovely. For five bucks you can get a skein of yarn with those colors and knit or crochet yourself a fab scarf for winter!

All of the above is true and addressed (perhaps not as strongly or frankly!) in my review...but it was my first de-enabling post! Listen to Debra for the real skinny. :)

All Is One

Debra is right, S. I had to work through my real personality, and grow a whole new pair....of personalities (what did you think I was gonna say? Hmmm?) just for this thread.

I haven't seen the deck, but if you got a link...anyone, I'm always happy to help.

S. stick around this thread....no one needs it as much as you!

;~)

Stormdancer

The people look like trees...that's one thing i like about htis deck so far

Stormdancer...aka...twiggy...LOL

NorthernTigress

My local used book store has the Magical Menagerie. Now, my luck with his store has been 50-50 so far. I bought the Enchanted Oracle there, which did nothing for me. But I also found my Revelations Tarot there, which I love.

Now, the deck as I see them on the AT Cards list doesn't excite me. And yet every time I go back to the bookstore, it's still there. Like it's waiting for me or something.

All Is One

Oh please. Don't tell me that is art? It's a little kid with a white jar of paint and some black construction paper. It's all the same. Each card looks just the same.

The whole thing looks like a pack of road signs "Left turn only" and "Slow on Turns Next 10 Miles."

You don't want to buy Tarot of the Road Signs...you really don't.

All Is One

Northern Tigress, the Magical Menagerie looks exactly like a coloring book I had as a kid. It's actually not even original art, no matter what they tell you. Those are designs from coloring books that are colored in with colored pencils.

No way. Uh uh.