A new de-enabling thread

morticia monroe

I really want La Corte dei Tarocchi. Anyone have any negatives here? I love pip decks, so that's not a factor.

Debra

I've been ruminating on that Truth Seekers deck, too.

The "I saw it and yuk" story above convinced me otherwise!

Excellent de-enabling, FaireLass!

Debra

morticia monroe said:
I really want La Corte dei Tarocchi. Anyone have any negatives here? I love pip decks, so that's not a factor.

1. You can't shuffle it. It's soft, highly textured paper.

2. In truth it's a deck for looking at, not using.

3. Because the paper is so textured, the images are fuzzy and washed-out looking. They lack oomph. It's more interesting in the scans than in person.

4. I had it and sold it for these reasons!

Le Fanu

I almost bought it recently, being a sucker for unlaminated "limited edition" Meneghello "luxury" decks.

But I did a search and found that nobody - absolutely nobody - (even those who adore this deck ) - reads with it. It is a real "put in the crystal cabinet and revere" deck. If you like your decks to live and breathe and be read with, forget it.

O and there was a general consenus that it is really difficult to shuffle, being so long and thin.

Even those who can shuffle it do not read with it...

Nobody reads with it. Don´t kid yourself you´ll be the first. Others have been there before...

karen0205

morticia monroe said:
One more thought on the Revelations...

Every time I tried to use it, those robot people popped up and I couldn't concentrate for the sound of Styx's "Mr Roboto" running through my head. I just didn't understand the robot people. They were almost creepy.

OMG I almost spit out my tea! Mr. Roboto. Maybe he was thinking of that when he designed the deck! Or Played it while drawing! Too Funny, Now I'm going to have that song in my head, quick, I need to think of some other song.

I recently decided to sell my Revelations deck set to. I love the colors and the style of artwork but I was just never going to be able to use the deck for readings.
It's nice but I just can't get past some of the people in the deck. Plus, I would have liked to see more detailed images on the minors. I really love the artwork though. I wish he would do another one. Something not so surreal.

k

Le Fanu

Ok, can anyone help me here...

There is an old copy of the Ancestral Path Tarot in my local shop. It isn´t a deck I like particularly, but Im thinking of buying it from the collecting point of view. Ive got a hunch that this is going to go up in value and there is a copy sitting in a dusty cabinet in my local shop. Not particularly expensive either.

I really feel I should buy it. Ive done a search here and see that most posts about the Ancestral Path are in the Trading forum; everyone trying to get rid of their copy after finding it too culturally busy, and not connecting with it.

As I say, there is no point trying to dissuade me of the art because I don´t really like it (but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised). That Fool card has to be one of the most hideous ever.

But somehow, I feel I should buy it as I feel it is going to be collectible. Or is it?

Tough one, huh?

Debra

If you want an investment, buy a savings bond.

SolSionnach

All Is One said:
There's just no reasoning with some people. :D
Oh, I know. However, see below...
AJ said:
re: Truth-Seekers, I was just going to copy and paste your Amazon review FM ;)

The last review there has a more serious issue. Did you find the cards themselves shoddy?

"The colors in this deck are beautiful, but the plastic coating on the cards did not last through a single reading."

I think we'd all be better served spending our $$'s elsewise.
Yikes!
FaireMaiden said:
AJ... I was all set to buy this deck... even after Janet's review, *lol*... I just loved the pictures! So, I went to Barnes & Noble to get it, and I don't often buy decks at a store at all. I buy online. Anyways, I wanted to actually 'see and feel' them before I bought, hence my trip to the bookstore. The clerk opened the package for me to peruse and my heart sank... SANK, I tell you!

They just WERE NOT as pictured online. All the great online-vibrancy of the pictures was gone. I was utterly disappointed. They seemed meek, murky, and cartoony once I had them in my hands... The card-stock felt flimsy... The unillustrated pips really pissed me off as the artist took the time to fill up the pips with artistry that relates to exactly nothing! *sigh*, instead of going fully illustrated all the way, or Marseilles all the way... No, the artist put in just enough bogus art to confuse both camps, grrrrrrrr.

I had two immediate thoughts: 'Paycheck Deck' and '$20-bucks for a box'.

I gave the whole mess back to the clerk and walked-out.
Thank you thank you thank you, FM!

whew. I knew I could count on you guys!

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
Ive done a search here and see that most posts about the Ancestral Path are in the Trading forum; everyone trying to get rid of their copy after finding it too culturally busy, and not connecting with it.
Tough one, huh?
um, not really.
As someone who eagerly bought one, then sold it, I have to say that there are lots of copies of that deck floating from collector to collector... and the going price is likely not going to go above $50-60 because it isn't a very good deck!
Not at all like the Greenwood, for instance.

ETA: Fanu! You are thinking of collecting the Ancestral Path, but not Corte??? You make no sense to me!! :D :D :) :p

I'm with Debra... go with a savings bond.

re: Corte - love the deck, but it's not a reading deck, particularly. But I will never part with mine!

All Is One

Le Fanu said:
Ok, can anyone help me here...

There is an old copy of the Ancestral Path Tarot in my local shop. It isn´t a deck I like particularly, but Im thinking of buying it from the collecting point of view. Ive got a hunch that this is going to go up in value and there is a copy sitting in a dusty cabinet in my local shop. Not particularly expensive either.

I really feel I should buy it. Ive done a search here and see that most posts about the Ancestral Path are in the Trading forum; everyone trying to get rid of their copy after finding it too culturally busy, and not connecting with it.

As I say, there is no point trying to dissuade me of the art because I don´t really like it (but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised). That Fool card has to be one of the most hideous ever.

But somehow, I feel I should buy it as I feel it is going to be collectible. Or is it?

Tough one, huh?

You just said that everyone is trying to get rid of it! I gave it to someone who had never had a deck before and I put it in a leather bag I had made for her. I HAD to get rid of the deck. It was culturally offensive.

I am not Asian, but the Japanese cards in the deck offended me. The Native American cards offended me, and I can't remember what else there were. I seem to remember Eskimos....and no I am not joking.

What offended me was that it ruined the deck. The four suits being four different races seems so odd to me. OK...truth. I hate that idea. I hate it a whole lot. For more reasons than I can go into here.

There are good things about the deck, but I'm not the one who's gonna enable you with any of that malarkey.

The drawings or paintings show fine details but are too small on the card and too busy. It is impossible to read with.

Actually, I love the Artist card (the Fool) but I'm NOT gonna help you buy it.