A new de-enabling thread

.traveller.

Le Fanu said:
Are you thirteen years old with a permanent pout, white foundation, "weirdly" wearing black and out to shock your parents?
No, but my inner child is :D

.traveller.

cardlady22 said:
It's all Neptune!! (astrology in the playing cards- 52 day period) Washes over you sudden; drives you with an insatiable gale-force wind; then drops you on your butt after your birthday comes around again.
Hmm, the urge may pass then if I hold out long enough!

cardlady22 said:
I mean, I'm all for walking the Nightside every now and again, but did you see these cards?
5 of Swords: I used to be afraid of evil horror-movie clowns, but this jester with the king's head on his pike is creepy beyond anything Stephen King's ever did!
Oh god, I LOVE that clown! That's the card that sucked me into wanting the deck. I'm even thinking about getting the poster.
cardlady22 said:
Knight of Cups: That gargoyle in the wall dripping blood out of his mouth down to the guy's hand, but he's so focused on your sweet little neck that he doesn't notice!
Agreed, this one is pretty lame.

cardlady22 said:
VI Lovers is the ultimate cliche. *yawn*
I'll have to look at this one again, can't recall it off the top.
cardlady22 said:
Knight of Wands looks like he's trolling for a gig on a beefcake calendar. Th0se vamp girls will be quite happy they don't have to get his armour off first . . . kind of like a reverse of The Sun from this deck.
I see NOTHING wrong with this card }) :D

cardlady22

Well, the "Egyptian Undead" don't fit the rest of the cards. The few vividly colored cards make me wish there had been 2 decks- one full color and one b/w; grayscale. I would be tempted by either one, but not this way!

*tag* someone else is IT now

SolSionnach

I'd love to jump in here with trash-talking the deck, but I wouldn't know it if it hit me between the eyes.

Given what others are saying, it sounds distinctly unappealing...

Debra

Wow. New heights of tackiness. Or depths. Whatever.

Very tacky.

nisaba

back to ome general de-enabling, folks. Help me Keep Strong against the urge to backslide? Relevant bits you might like to underline:

1) I'm on a very low income, and while I have a couple of hundred I *could* spend on decks, there's also a power bill for $170 sitting there waiting to be paid,

2) anyone with more decks than Real World friends is pretty sad, and if I keep it up I'll even have more decks than Facebook friends,

3) I can't even fit all of my active reading decks on a table let alone all of my collection, and it's bad form not to be able to share things of beauty ...

4) whatever the clincher is that I don't know myself well enough to say to me, that will turn me off buying for life.

SolSionnach

nisaba said:
back to some general de-enabling, folks. Help me Keep Strong against the urge to backslide? Relevant bits you might like to underline:

1) I'm on a very low income, and while I have a couple of hundred I *could* spend on decks, there's also a power bill for $170 sitting there waiting to be paid,

2) anyone with more decks than Real World friends is pretty sad, and if I keep it up I'll even have more decks than Facebook friends,

3) I can't even fit all of my active reading decks on a table let alone all of my collection, and it's bad form not to be able to share things of beauty ...

4) whatever the clincher is that I don't know myself well enough to say to me, that will turn me off buying for life.
#1 is all I need to see. You can't enjoy any decks if you don't have the power to be warm (or cool in summer), and without lights you can't see at night, not to mention not being able to get on AT. Paying your power bill is a non-starter. Just do it.
#2 so what - I have more decks than RL and FB friends.
#3 That is where I am today. Selling decks for less than I paid, so that they may be *enjoyed* by someone else. I never thought I'd sell my Blake Tarot, but I wasn't using or enjoying it. And you know what? I don't miss it.
#4 This recession is going to be looooong and deep. If you're low income anyway (like moi), then you don't need to buy more decks. You can't eat decks!

Perhaps you should join the PDR or IDS, and work with one deck at a time exclusively. When you know them all, *then* consider buying another.

OR - you could do the "one in/one out" thing and require yourself to sell a deck for every new one you buy. If you're like me you'd still lose money, but not as much.

magpie9

I just sold my copy of this deck a couple of weeks ago, to partially finance one I wanted. It's a good thing I didn't look through it before sending it off, I would have been tempted to keep it just for the laughs! It is so low and tacky and degenerate and dependably deplorable. It would rot your eyes and brain, much as too much sugar does to your teeth.

And here's the real reason not to buy it. Alissa from here wrote the companion book for it--and it really really needs one, since it makes no sense on it's own and is unreadable---and they didn't pay her for her work, and there's even something questionable about if she ever even got credit for her work. What she got is ripped off, and I doubt that you want to give money to the people who did that to anyone, let alone One Of Our Own.

Sulis

magpie9 said:
And here's the real reason not to buy it. Alissa from here wrote the companion book for it--and it really really needs one, since it makes no sense on it's own and is unreadable---and they didn't pay her for her work, and there's even something questionable about if she ever even got credit for her work. What she got is ripped off, and I doubt that you want to give money to the people who did that to anyone, let alone One Of Our Own.

I completely agree Mags, that's definitely the best reason not to buy this deck.
Here's a thread about the whole nasty business: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=78270

Another reason to not buy the Gothic is that it's just basically a collection of pretty yet tacky gothicy post cards.
The artwork wasn't meant to be a tarot deck, it's just Vargo's existing artwork with some cups, swords, wands and pentacles added. The images mean nothing at all and I for one found them completely unreadable. There is no symbolism or reference to what the cards may mean on the cards at all.
The cardstock is horrible and the edges chip quicker and worse than any other dark coloured deck I've ever seen.

If you want a vampy deck get Lo Scarabeo's Gothic Tarot of the Vampires - it's much better.