A Particular Tarot Book & Non-illustrated Pips...?

StellarMyst

Hello all, :D

The book is, Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis.

I have read the posts about this book being friendly to most decks, but I have yet to see if it would help with non-illustrated pips. Perhaps I didn't look/dig deep enough, but I figured I'd ask.

The suits involved: I'm not worried here; just about the numbers and their signifcane to non-illustrated pip reading(s).

I am thinking about buying a non-illustrated pips deck (like the Visconti perhaps?), and in the heading of each chapter in this book, there is a mention of - for instance: The Fives (blah, blah...Rx...), 5 o' Wands (...), 5 o' Pents (...), & 5 o' Swords (...), 5 o' Cups (...).

1 Could the first part of each number's entry be used to learn the non-illustrated pips?

2 Would I be able to use plain old numerology to learn the non-illustrated pips?

Thanks in advance! :D

Blessings,

StellarMyst

fyreflye

You can read any tarot deck using Louis' book if you memorize his meanings and apply them to your deck. You may get meanings not intended by the deck designer, but after all it's your deck and your readings. Using Pythagorean numerology is also a good method.
For more information and help reading unillustrated pips check out relevant threads in the Marseille forum.

Sheri

I highly recommend Lee Bursten's companion book to the Universal Marseille Tarot Kit. Good, basic Marseille information and he provides several techniques that allow you to read pips by coming up with your own meanings. It really unlocked non-scenic pips for me!

The ONLY problem is that you have to buy the kit to get the book. It isn't offered by itself.

valeria

StellarMyst

Thank you for all the replies, and the information! :D

This just cemented a thick-plot for a deck! hehe~!

For some strange reason, I have had the Visconti Deck at Barnes & Noble in my cross-hairs...!? Is it a good one to start with, or is the Universal Marseille Kit best for beginning Non-ills?

BodhiSeed

You might want to check out the reveiws on the Universal Marseille:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-marseille/review.shtml

Bonnie gave a little information on the meanings assigned to the pip cards:

"The suits are defined as areas of human experience. The keyword for each suit is: Staves - creating, Cups - interacting, Swords - defending, and Coins - obtaining.

The pip cards are said to represent actions, thoughts and feelings that are experienced on a daily basis. I do like that way that the numbers are defined. Aces are "There's a first time for everything." Two;s are "It takes two." Three's are "Having a plan." Four's are "Making it happen." Five's are "Challenging yourself." Six's are "Keeping it going." Seven's are "Going deeper." Eight's are "The efficiency expert." Nine's are "You deserve it." Ten's are "Enough already."

I've been tempted to get the set since I read this review!

Bodhran

Sulis

The best 'book' for reading with non-scenic pip cards (they really are illustrated), is right here on ATF.

Take a look at the 'How May it be read' threads in the History section, they're an invaluable resource: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31857 scroll down a bit.

StellarMyst

Thanks!

bodhran said:
You might want to check out the reveiws on the Universal Marseille:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-marseille/review.shtml

Bonnie gave a little information on the meanings assigned to the pip cards:

"The suits are defined as areas of human experience. The keyword for each suit is: Staves - creating, Cups - interacting, Swords - defending, and Coins - obtaining.

The pip cards are said to represent actions, thoughts and feelings that are experienced on a daily basis. I do like that way that the numbers are defined. Aces are "There's a first time for everything." Two;s are "It takes two." Three's are "Having a plan." Four's are "Making it happen." Five's are "Challenging yourself." Six's are "Keeping it going." Seven's are "Going deeper." Eight's are "The efficiency expert." Nine's are "You deserve it." Ten's are "Enough already."

I've been tempted to get the set since I read this review!

Bodhran

Hi bodhran,

Thanks for the review quote. :D I think you're not the only one sold on this one. hehe! ;) :D I had not thought to check the reviews on this. I usually think to at least browse to see if there's anything I need in the deck reviews & such. This time, I'm not even sure why I didn't think to do it! lol :D

Sulis said:
The best 'book' for reading with non-scenic pip cards (they really are illustrated), is right here on ATF.

Take a look at the 'How May it be read' threads in the History section, they're an invaluable resource: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31857 scroll down a bit.

Thanks Sulis! :D This will be for sure, a good reference. I guess the reason I usually ask for the book resources, is that more often than not (especially here in my neck of the woods... ;) ), one will actually need a resource that does not plug-in to the wall (Reeeaaallly handy during electrical storms! hehe!). ;) On the flip-side, there are about as many times that one needs a way to work/study/blah blah blah with a space that's not cluttered with books and no room for a spread. :) I suppose you could say that both books and internet resources are....weeeeelllll...necessary evils! lol :D\

I do really appreciate the help you both have offered here. :) I have been wanting to start in non-illustrated pips for a while now.

Blessings,

StellarMyst