a question about a book

samiam010203

i just ordered "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot " by Lon Milo Duquette. can anyone tell me how good it is for a beginner and how well it teaches about the cards.

i am going to use it as a study aid for my liber t and thoth decks.

thanks for the help.

gregory

It is an excellent book and while not exactly easy - well, nor is the deck..... It is a good one to start with, I think - but in the end you will want to read the Book Of Thoth.....

samiam010203

gregory said:
It is an excellent book and while not exactly easy - well, nor is the deck..... It is a good one to start with, I think - but in the end you will want to read the Book Of Thoth.....

oh, yes i own the book of thoth and have read it as well. i just wanted to try this book because i here so much about it.

Le Fanu

Yes, it is a good book and I bought it because it was recommended here (go into the Thoth thread and there is a whole thread on the best books for Thoth). Even so, I didnt get very far with this book or the deck, but I have it on hold and know that it will beckon again one day.

I don´t know if it´s just me, but I found even this book - which is a real introduction to the Crowley universe - completely overwhelming. the more I try to work or study or just look at the Thoth, the more paralysed I get. There is so much stuff that you really need to know and study - full time - that I personally found it quite paralysing.

MariposAzl

samiam010203 said:
i just ordered "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot " by Lon Milo Duquette. can anyone tell me how good it is for a beginner and how well it teaches about the cards.
I'm awaiting my first Thoth in the mail as we speak. I went to Borders the other day and fingered through this book. I didn't buy it since I don't actually have the deck in hand yet (darn snail mail!), but it looks very promising.

I also attended a presentation recently on the AC Thoth which included this book as a compainion to the deck and was highly rated by the presenter.

From what I saw for myself, it helps to de-mystify a lot of Crowley's "jargon" in the Book of Thoth (which I also took a gander at), and ads a sense of humor to the approach of learning the deck. Once I get the deck I'm surely going to get the book, so I for one think u made an excellent choice :)

Elizabeth Genco

Le Fanu said:
I don´t know if it´s just me, but I found even this book - which is a real introduction to the Crowley universe - completely overwhelming. the more I try to work or study or just look at the Thoth, the more paralysed I get. There is so much stuff that you really need to know and study - full time - that I personally found it quite paralysing.

I feel the same way. That and the deck is too busy for me. Aesthetically, I can't wrap my head around it - it always makes me feel like my head is about to explode. (Then again, I suppose in some circumstances that might be a good thing. :) )

On the other hand, I feel (and I'm speaking for me personally, not someone else's path) that it's important to have a basic working knowledge of the Thoth deck because it's the other notable esoteric deck. Lon's book gives me a good starting point and context.