A Sexual Healing Deck?

Artemis Sans

I was browsing the decks when an epiphany struck: within so many erotic decks, why are there none that focus on the spiritual energy of sex rather than the poronographic voyeur instincts within us all? (Gardinni de Priapo, for instance) SO, I had an idea for an admittedly erotic (NOT GRATUITOUS) but still very spiritual tarot deck, but, being new to the art, I'm not sure if there are such decks floating around in space out there... if anyone knows of one, I'd like to know so I'm not wasting my time. Well some ideas I have so far:
The Fool is renamed The Virgin, (an androgenous figure hiding his/her body under a scarlet veil against a black background) and the suits renamed to fit various parts of the anatomy (wands and cups are a no-brainer). So if anyone has any ideas before I begin the deck, or if, indeed, such a deck exists, I'd love to know.

LittleWing

i think this idea could work. maybe from an angle of the kama sutra / tantra - sacred sexuality. should the fool perhaps wear white? if you read the kama sutra there are many things to work with ........ lotus flowers, perfumed oils, massage, silk cushions etc ......

Artemis Sans

but then the Virgin would appear more pure than the World.

rota

It would be worth searching among hermetic works for symbols and scenes that exemplify sexual alchemy. Fulcanelli, albertus Magnus,Manly P. Hall's works, Rudolf Steiner, the list of possible sources for imagery could go on and on ...

There is ample material out there, whether one intends to collage existing elements of artwork (old woodcuts and the like) or whether you simply intend to bravely forge on into a modern interpretation (which would be my preference and hope!).

And I hope you'll keep us apprised of the directions this inquiry takes you. I'd love to hear periodic (no pun intended) updates.

HudsonGray

I can see the Strength card just being a close up of a gentle smile.

A suit of Pentacles showing hands perhaps?

Swords being eyes/expressions?

Shoshin

Artemis Sans said:
I was browsing the decks when an epiphany struck: within so many erotic decks, why are there none that focus on the spiritual energy of sex rather than the poronographic voyeur instincts within us all?

Although not necessarily erotic, one could say the Thoth deck is the best at focusing on the spiritual energy of sex. A tantra/ kama sutra deck is an interesting idea. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.

LittleWing

Artemis Sans said:
but then the Virgin would appear more pure than the World.

I would say that the world could be a spectrum of bright, pure colour - afterall these colours all come out of light, and are magical and hidden in the earth - appearing all around

good luck with any further research - interesting topic

Diana

This would be a most interesting and worthwhile deck. And greatly needed in the world today.

I would prefer a deck like this to keep the original names of the suits, though........ I don't see the point in changing them.

Artemis Sans

I'm a little embarrassed.... You brought up a brilliant point. I debated this for quite a bit, but in the end, I decided that A.) This deck should be accessable to couples with no real knowledge of the Tarot, but are looking to add a pinch of excitement into their sex lives, and B.) to shift the focus from every-day occurance with the normal suits, but to the theme: spiritual sex. I don't want to change them just to be different or anything. So, I decided these should be the final suits (don't worry, they do have some relation to the actual suits.)
<: )

Limbs= Wands (the ability to create/stimulate)
Hearts= Cups (emotion)
Eyes= Disks (the idea of absorbing/taking in the real world)

Swords pose a problem. Obviously, I made the reference to male genitalia (arousal is 100% a function of the mind), but I can't think of a good name for the actual suit... 6 of (insert penis euphemism here), et cetera. So, if you have a pleasing name or a better idea for the suit, I'd love to hear it. (And while we're on the subject of my need for help <: ), the courts are giving me a problem too. Page of Limbs? uh... )

Thanks for the Support!
-Artemis

lunalafey

interesting, I was thinking something like
head=swords=mental
heart=cups=emotional
hands=pentacles=physical
soul=wands=spiritual