Aaah!! Too many awesome decks!

New2Tarot

Hey guys,

In the past few days I've been reassured that there's still a chance I'll make sense of this whole confusing yet interesting learning experience. I've been working through my book - and it's gotten more involved now .. I'm actually learning stuff! The first 8 chapters were just a long introduction and explanation of Tarot, easy reading. But now it's about getting to know the cards. It takes a lot more time to get through, so now I'm progressing more slowly.

But working through the intial 10 major arcana cards, I'm beginning to realize the meaning of the cards, that my interpretations aren't too far off from the book, and that every beginner SHOULD start with a traditional tarot deck to grasp the actual symbolic meaning.

Although my Rider-Waite (Original..not even Universal) doesn't appeal to me that much as far as the images go.. I'm able to apply the symbolism I've learned with them to other decks I've been browsing on the site. Although other decks are much more beautiful, they are missing the traditional symbolism of the RWT.

I really thought it was just not going to happen, and although it's just babysteps, I already am seeing progress!

My new worry is that I'm an addict in training! I initially wanted the Crowley Thoth AGMULLER VERSION --- NOT US GAMES (green tinge) but I did some research, trusted it and purchased RWT. I played around with it then decided it wasn't working. It sat on my shelf for a few months and then it sparked interest in me again. I went to Barnes & Noble and spent 50 dollars on 2 books.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot & Fortune-Telling is the one I'm working through right now, and although I don't totally agree with "the cards mean whatever you want them to mean" .. the book is helping me out, and I'm pretty sure it'll continue to.

The other book I purchased (which I have yet to read) is The Complete Illustrated Guide to the Tarot.

Now that I've been frequenting this site, there are so many awesome decks that I want to buy. I will continue to learn with the RWT though, until I feel I have grasped the traditional meanings so that I can work with other decks to combine a more intuitive approach while still knowing I have a root to the meaning I perceive.

I think it's really important to first learn with the RWT. The cards have all these little symbols in them that stand out when you look for them, and they help concrete the meaning of each card. After that, as you work with other decks, or browse other decks you can see the meaning in a card that has a pretty picture but not necessarily all the symbolism and still be successful. Because I never found the RWT to be an attractive deck.

I've found myself wanting to buy a lot of decks..

Rider-Waite Universal Tarot.. because I like this deck! The colouring of the original is bland, but if I were to start all over again, I'd still start with the original RWT.
Aelister Crowley Thoth Tarot.. this deck was the one that always "spoke" to me, I guess you could say. As corny as that sounds. It's always been one I liked.
Fantastical Tarot.. creepy, haunting yet awesome images. Except a tacky gold border. Why do so many decks have crappy borders?!
Celtic Wisdom Tarot.. awesome imagery although I don't understand it yet
Robin Wood Tarot.. like it, even though it's a little too cartoonish
Royal Fez Moroccan Tarot.. traditional, yet appealing at the same time
Soul Cards.. aren't tarot.. what are they?.. Anyone? Only 60 cards. Yet very appealing to me.
Vertigo Tarot
Witches Tarot
Sacred Circle Tarot
Tempest Tarot
Ancestral Path Tarot.. what do you think?
World Spirit Tarot.. cool..

SO MANY DECKS that I like. But I'd better pace myself. Not only is my understanding of Tarot basics just beginning, but my paycheque can't support the habit! LOL

Later,
New2Tarot

Andryh

Here is some good advice if you want to save some time and money. Go buy a Thoth deck, and spend your time learning it. If it "speaks" to you it is probably the tarot for you. The Rider-Waite and Thoth decks are very different. If you feel the need to learn the Waite deck--a real classic--by all means do so. But if you are just doing it because you've heard it the best beginner's deck, and that the Thoth is too hard for a newbie, STOP! Go get the deck that owns your heart! I am sometimes angered when people say "Oh, its not a good beginners deck" If it is the deck you will settle on eventually anyway, and you are willing to learn it (and it sound like you are) go for it! Good Luck!

MeeWah

New2: It seems you are finding your way in Tarot :)
Although the Ryder-Waite deck may seem to lack aesthetically to some people, it is excellent for getting acquainted with the basic symbolism that is imperative towards understanding Tarot. The knowledge gained can be applied to other decks.
If Crowley's Thoth deck appeals to you, it would be a good reason to consider using it also. Tarot is subjective so the Thoth would likely add dimensions to the basic understanding.

truthsayer

Quote:New2Tarot (05 Sep, 2001 07:05):
I've found myself wanting to buy a lot of decks..
Rider-Waite Universal Tarot .. because I like this deck! The colouring of the original is bland, but if I were to start all over again, I'd still start with the original RWT.
Aelister Crowley Thoth Tarot .. this deck was the one that always "spoke" to me, I guess you could say. As corny as that sounds. It's always been one I liked.
Fantastical Tarot .. creepy, haunting yet awesome images. Except a tacky gold border. Why do so many decks have crappy borders?!
Celtic Wisdom Tarot .. awesome imagery although I don't understand it yet
Robin Wood Tarot .. like it, even though it's a little too cartoonish
Royal Fez Moroccan Tarot .. traditional, yet appealing at the same time
Soul Cards .. aren't tarot.. what are they?.. Anyone? Only 60 cards. Yet very appealing to me.
Vertigo Tarot
Witches Tarot
Sacred Circle Tarot
Tempest Tarot
Ancestral Path Tarot .. what do you think?
World Spirit Tarot .. cool.
Later,
New2Tarot

since you seem to be inviting comment about the other decks you like, thought i'd toss in my opinion. take it or leave it! ;D

univesal waite-don't have it but it's good.
thoth-really like it. so many ppl want to make it out as being a difficult deck but if it sings to you follow the song. you may be able to read it intuitively w/o a lot of symbolic background.
fantastical--too creepy and dark for me!
celtic wisdom-absolutely love it! there's a lot to learn w/ it tho b/c caitlin matthews changes so many traditional tarot things around like the names of the suits, names of the cards,the majors are called wisdom cards and minors are story cards. but definitely worth the time investment effort imho.
robin wood-many ppl love this deck so i recommend it. it's okay but not my fav.
royal fez--???
soul cards aren't tarot but they are used to gain insight into oneself or others. there's a thread elsewhere at aecletic that goes into detail w/ this deck. i don't think it's an oracle deck tho.
vertigo--it looks dark but enticing. i like neil gaiman so the deck intrigues me. what i've seen of it is both beautiful and disturbing. it can be good to stretch your tarot limits.
witches tarot-i assume you are talking about the one by ellen canon reed. not a low key deck by a long shot, beautiful but some prob areas. the court cards all have the same pictures w/ different colored clothes. it's like the princess is holding someone's hand meditating in blue, green, etc. clothing. the prince is walking down a path w/ varying colors of clothes. i like the majors. if nudity bothers you, don't buy it. the pictures are vivid, borderless, and clear. it's kind of deck that shouts its presence to you.
sacred circle--i have it and there are some beautiful cards in it but...this is the deck i discovered i really don't like computered generated art and photos mixed together too much. in some decks it's okay. the book is really good w/ detailed info into celtic spirituality and mythology.
tempest-never heard of it but now i'll have to check it out! :)
ancestral path--really attractive deck. combines several different cultures in interesting ways.
world spirit-seems to be an attractive deck but hasn't called my name yet. }>

destinyawaitsme

Hey!

I've been reading tarot for about 7 months and after practicing every single day (I know, I found something and I latched on to it) and just like you that old Thoth deck was just calling out my name...so I went and bought it. If you want it, get it....if yout hink it's too advanced for you you can go back to RW and wait until you think you get the system down better. I didn't think the deck was truly that far off from what I learned. And I don't have the book of Thoth, so I basically go by the little white book and my own intuition...and plus the minor cards have a keyword on them, so if you totally go blank at least you have a clue.

What do you have to lose anyway? 15 bucks? (that's what I paid for mine) That's less than most of these decks cost that come witht he big book and the nice colored box. I have 2 decks sitting on my shelf right now that I hate to read with, but I love to look at. So if you get the Thoth deck and it's a total loss, you can always use them for coasters, bookmarks, and miscellaneaous art projects...lol just kidding.

Mojo

Ah... the Royal Fez is my primary deck and I absolutely love it!

But unless you're ready for a long and exhausting search, you might want to scratch it off your list. It took me 10 years to get my hands on it. They come up occasionally on E-Bay, but it's a true collector's item and they go for the big bucks most of the time.

Dee 04

Hi:
Look under DIVINATION inthis forum and then lookunder Soul Cards 1 & 2. I use them for divination as well as to gain insight and depth into a reading or use it as a reading alone.

Right, they are not Tarot, but they are a wonderful tool.

Rhiannon

New2, Glad to see you're progressing so nicely and that you're no longer as frustrated! Doesn't that feel great??? I know it does to me. I hate not knowing what the heck I'm doing!

As for your list of decks: I have the Fantastical and it's dark gothic, but very pretty. The cards are thicker than my RWT and very slippery. They slide around if my table slants. The only probs. I've had w/ this deck is that the Wands all look the same to me. I originally didn't like the Hanged Man card but I've gotten over it.

And I have the Robin Wood which has much of the same symbolism as the RW so I find it very easy and relaxing to read with.

Good luck with your studies!
Rhiannon :)

Major Tom

With my toungue firmly planted in my cheek:

Might I humbly suggest that the best tarot you could ever possibly have is one you've made for yourself. :D

Having said that - I agree completely with MeeWah. Rider-Waite is a very good deck to learn with (learned with it myself }> ) Crowley-Thoth will certainly provide added dimensions }>

New2Tarot

Hey guys,

Thanks for the awesome replies.. yes, it definitely feels awesome knowing I'm not totally lost and am on the right track here. I was so frustrated earlier because I felt like I was seriously getting nowhere. It's been about six months since I purchased my original RW tarot deck, and it sat on my shelf along with my first book for quite some time before I noticed it again.

A refreshing start, although I'm just starting to grasp the learning process.. I'm making a trip to the Mystic Bookshop here to get my hands on the Crowley Thoth deck, and possibly one other .. (impulse - heh) .. and maybe even another book.. I'm bad like that when I go to that store, I end up spending a lot more than I had ever intended.

In fact, when I did purchase my RWT it was my first visit to the shop, only because a friend was curious to go in, and I kind of got pulled into it. I'm kind of disappointed about the Royal Fez tarot now.. the fact that it's so hard to find has oddly enough made me want it even more! Tsk.

Anyway, thanks for your help.. and your opinions on the decks I find appealing!

Later,
New2Tarot