About a picture 8 of Swords

ana luisa

interested in getting your opinions. Would you see this picture as the 8 of Swords ? Yes ? No ? Why not ? Just wondering ;)

Attachments

• 7ca5cb5252aa00ffbc415312ed2feb1c.jpg
    7ca5cb5252aa00ffbc415312ed2feb1c.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 199

BodhiSeed

I generally see the Eight of Swords as our own mind making us feel trapped and immobile, but that view is not reality. So while the girl is trapped and tightly sealed in the jar, I think she needs a hammer or brick in there with her (that she's not noticing).:D

ana luisa

I generally see the Eight of Swords as our own mind making us feel trapped and immobile, but that view is not reality. So while the girl is trapped and tightly sealed in the jar, I think she needs a hammer or brick in there with her (that she's not noticing).:D

Great insight ! Thank you :thumbsup:

Flames

The jar is sealed tight which, to me, reflects the power and influence of her own negative thoughts. Because she's succumbed to these thoughts, she can't see a way out and she doesn't feel she's in a position of power. The possibility that she can free herself can't factor in. She's not yet drowning in her own helplessness, though (the water level is low). If she looks up, she'd see a mist of clouds. She'd be able to take a step back and detach herself from her own bondage and see that these thoughts (clouds) will eventually clear and dissipate. But, she's looking 'down' (in the direction of her thoughts) and as long as she looks down, she'll fail to see a possibility for freedom. Well, this is what I see anyway. :) I think this image depicts what I understand to be the 8 of Swords, quite well. Thanks for sharing it!

Ace

I could see this as 8 of swords--very much so.

8 of swords is being locked in by your worries and fears. Too many rules that (while mostly in your own head) you have to follow. The emotion of that picture is VERY like that. I like the 8 of swords, in that, give it is SWORDS around you, if you face your fears you can cut yourself free. This is more hopeless. It may be a 10 of swords situation actually. But that is less obvious.

Lovely photo!

barb

EmpyreanKnight

The despair is very much palpable in the image, and the isolation, confinement, helplessness and resigned melancholy does suggest an 8 of Swords situation to me. If you entered this picture in the Card Guessing Game thread, that is what I would have guessed. The clouds and rain is a nice touch too.

Nemia

The Dark Grimoire has a similar image.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/_img/dark-grimoire-06946.jpg

One of the aspects of the 8 of swords IMO is the fact that the person can free herself quite easily, she doesn't see it. Feeling entrapped entraps her. In your card, it's a bit difficult to find that angle. I always like to have a brighter and darker side to each image.

Visually, it's very beautiful and has a strong atmosphere. And yes, it's close to how I read the card - only the exit is missing ;-)

Apollonia

interested in getting your opinions. Would you see this picture as the 8 of Swords ? Yes ? No ? Why not ? Just wondering ;)
It only works partially for me. The idea of being trapped is okay, but in my ideal 8S the person could easily get out of the situation, but cannot see the way out. In this image, she just looks bored or as though she knows the situation is futile, and the way the jar is shown, it looks as though she couldn't get out if she wanted to.

EmpyreanKnight

I think that as things get bleaker and more helpless and it rains so hard inside the jar that it practically lashes at her and the water begins to rise and she feels like she is gonna drown - I feel that at its peak when the mason jar gets full, she can try to get to the surface and finally break free. Some people drown in their misery and self-pity, but others gather their guts and try to stay afloat, trusting that things will eventually get better and that there would eventually be opportunities to escape whatever hell they're in. Once the storm breaks and the jar is full, she can swim to one edge of the jar and try to slide down the side. Easier said than done though.