About writing??...

blackroseivy

I would like to know how one goes about getting together the literature to go with the deck. It is a *daunting* task (!) & I am experiencing writer's block! I am doing 2 *very* different decks, & I was hoping for help in writing about at least the Holographic one. The other is my Celtic artifacts deck & that's the one I'm afraid I'm the only one knowledgeable about to write about, unless I was *very* lucky... dunno! Any thoughts?

Ravenswing

journal maybe...

danubhe--

Perhaps for a warm-up you might try a journal approach, Choose a card. Think of it as the first time you've seen it. Then write in a journal-- first thoughts, description, what it means to you......

It might bust your block.

fly well
Raven

Cerulean

Celtic Sea Kingdoms?

I took a eight-part lecture series from an Irish gentleman who looks through the available literature, music and movies to those in the United States. It seems he still develops material and travels back to London and his home in Ireland every year. His take upon the celtic sea -based tribes and recommendation of books were fascinating to me---he jokingly said that the only archeological evidence that was gathered, the scientific anthropology guesses and the narratives of their conquerers of the time 'are the only evidence we can interpret--and even the narratives are suspects.' He spent a few weeks analyzing what Julius Caeser said of the Gauls and putting it iinto perspectives for American audiences.

One of the books he recommended was the Sea Kingdoms...and I see it was made into a video series as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0002572168/aeclectictaro-21/

He did his narrative lectures chronologically and we were able to see that there were various 'tribal' settlements, sharing language roots, actually, clustered around chieftiens, not really kingdoms or empires...and from the Atlantic Continental Celts being conquered and absorbed into the populations...and the Romans and other conquerers who were absorbed into celtic settlements near the Roman-built Hadrian's Wall...he then moved into the overview of Ireland, settlers such as the Fomori, People of Dana, etc., then the Founders and Patrons...

Two bits that 'felt' like the information we were receiving--at least to me, a fascinated newcomer to this--was the book called The Celtic Druids Year by John King (he's Welsh if that makes a difference to you)...and some of the information that I've seen in the iron-age influenced Celtic Tarot by Lo Scarabeo. Perhaps if you did look into to these titles to start and it makes you say, "Such pap they are feeding to others!", it might inspire you to begin to refute what's out there...sometimes when I come across simplified info, that tells me where to start...

I'm amazed at all the 'celtic' titles out there and don't really know if they are right...or they just give a glimpse of a wildly diverse environment that is just to romantacized.

There's supposed to be a mass media movie out about King Arthur with Guenivere as a celtic warrior queen/cheiftein as well...anyway, hope this rambling might spark your ideas...

Regards,

Cerulean Mari

P.S. I took the lectures to acquaint myself of my husband's background--his ancestry pulls from the above and it was fascinating to me. I hope to take the newer lectures when the gentleman offers them in the Spring as well.

blackroseivy

Wow, neat!

Most of that material is stuff with which I am already familiar. There's a great book on the subject that *I* have which I simply *MUST* finish plowing my way through(!!!!!!!), called "The Druids" by Peter Beresford Ellis. I also have "The Pagan Celts" by Ann Ross, "The Celts" by Nora Chadwick (both classics in the field), "Atlas of the Celtic World" by John Haywood, and "Heroes of the Dawn" from Time/Life Books (both heavy coffee-table books). I have to know how much text is necessary, for one thing - but Morandia is thinking of helping me out, yay! Not that that means "no worries", but I can do just part of the writing. Thanks for the shtuff (fanatical "Mutts" fan here!!) to contemplate!