African Shells

Dee 04

Kiama mentioned using African Shells on another thread and I have always been curious about these. I have neer done it but there is something so wonderful about the sound of it. I have seen these cowrie shells but do not know anyone who reads them. In Spanish we call them "los caracoles."
If Kiama and any others who read African shells would like to share this experience I'd appreaciate it!!!

jade

wow, i've never heard of this. share with details please. :)

love and light,
jade

Dee 04

Reading shells is originally from the African religion of Ifa of the Yoruba People. From Ifa comes other religions such as Santeria, Vodun, Candomble, etc. In Ifa it is called "opele" and this is a form of divination done by the "babalawo" or Ifa priest. He/she will toss these shells and they will form 8 symbols in one toss. These symbols are read to interpret issues in the querent's life.

I would like to know of people's experience with this divination system.

If any of you would like to read more about this and Ifa "The Way of the Orisa" by Philip John Neimark is a good place start.

Dee 04

kIAMA, HOPE YOU CAN ADD TO THIS THREAD!!!

Kimon

Hello,
as I was brought up in Brazil and also with the candomblé the "buzios" are familiar to me. I do not really work with them, though I am studying them for years now. There had been strong forces telling or showing me that it is not yet the time to use them. The shells are no cards, never forget that and be very careful in using them. Their roots go down thousands of years and its not western culture. There are many forces related to them that in our culture are felt as dark.
Originally you would have to be initiated by a priest to be able to use them without danger, and even if I dont follow that line of thinking, I have known that you can definetely follow their way by yourself, but it is a way that is serious about it. You can play around with cards, but playing around with the shells will always call forces that dont play. Dont understand me wrong, I am not initiated and do make experiments with them. I just tell you that the worst moments of spiritual fear I have had in the last years came out of this door. I will go on, and I know it is the right way, but it is a long way connected to sacrifice. But at its end I hope to find knowledge without artificial instruments (like horoscopes, cards etc.), but be able to read reality´s symbols themselves, stones, clouds, traffic lights, whatever. The way of the shells goes there. Originally the shells have to be initiated with blood. This, I think, is over, but the idea remains the same. Do you have an idea of the world of Santeria, Voodoo, Candomblé? That is where their forces live. Tarot is mostly a philosophy comparing to the shells, which are not at all brainy, but very real.
I dont want to go further into the topic publicly, but please feel free to write me privately if you like.
Greetings,
Kimon

Dee 04

THANK YOU KIMON!
AND YES I WILL EMAIL YOU PRIVATELY. I TOTALLY UNDERSTANF WHAT YOU MEAN, COMING FORM A SOUTH AMERICAN BACKGROUND WHERE ALL SORTS OF SHAMANIC AND CURANDERA FORMS OF HEALING ARE PRACTICED - I AM WELL AWARE OF HOW WESTERNERS VIEW THESE METHODS. MANY PEOPLE ARE BECOMING MORE OPEN TO THEM THOUGH AND THATIS GOOD.

Sher

Dee, I work with Afro Brazilian magick & read using 4 buzios. Mind you it's a very basic method,but it does work & has proved accurate for me. E-mail me & I'lll be glad to share the method with you!
Sher