Aleister Crowley Thoth Deck ... HELP ME OUT!!

New2Tarot

Hey guys,

I purchased my Thoth tarot deck on the weekend past.. and now I need some solid recommendations for excellent book resources for working with this deck.
I have been drawn to this deck since Day 1.. and now I feel a need to understand it!

Please help me out here!! Oh, and another thing.. I'm not sure if you're aware of this.. but when I asked the woman in the mystic book shop about the deck, I asked for "Alister CrOW(as in ouch!) lee's Toth Deck" (spelled to indicate my pronunciation).. and she later said "If you really want to impress people, say Aylister Crow-Lee's Toe-th Tarot"..

Like AYE LISTER CROW (like the bird) LEE'S TOE (like your toe) TH

I found it rather odd, yet funny.. lol

Later,
New2Tarot.

EveAnna

Hi New2Tarot,

I haven't got this deck but I've always wondered if you say it how its spelt like 'Thoth' - I like the pronunciation of 'Toeth' much better :)

lost01

LOL! :-D I just got the Toeth deck my self but I think it will probably be a while before I start using it :'( I definately will need a book.
-mike-

tiger lily

Akron and Hajo Banzhaf have written a book about the Toth deck (and I never heard it spelled "Toeth" - I always thought it was namend after the Egyptian god), "The Crowley Tarot"; I?m pretty sure it is available in English. It?s quite good for the non-initiated (i.e. for me ;-D).

Strange2

For some Crowley Thoth deck book reviews and discussions, check out the Tarot Inspiration website, at: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/2110/

The books they highly recommend are:

- The Book of Thoth, by Aleister Crowley: From the source, as it were. This is a deep exposition and magickal core dump from Crowley. Not light reading, but essential if you want to know the source of Crowley's vision and inspiration for the cards.

- Tarot - Mirror of the Soul, by Gerd Ziegler: Definitions and affirmations for each card. Succint and clear. I recently picked this up, and it provides good summaries and insights.

- Keywords for the Crowley Tarot, by Hajo Banzhaf, Brigitte Theler : Rated 10 stars our of 5 by them. I have not read this yet, but sounds good.

- The Crowley Tarot Handbook - The Handbook to the Cards, by Akron and Hajo Banzhaf: Each card is described relating to inner experience, career and relationships. I have not read this yet, but it also sounds good.

I use the Crowley-Harris Thoth deck as my primary reading deck, and find its images and energies very direct, deep, and inspiring. Hope this helps.