Another deck idea

Lady Eclipse

Hi,

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer their condolences on the passing of my father. He passed peacefully at 7:30 PM EST last night.

He came to me in a dream last night and gave me the following idea for a 5th deck. In the dream, we were looking at his old photo albums from when he fought in Korea. Most of the pictures were black and white or sepia. What do you think about turning these photos into a tarot deck? I know it would appeal to anyone who has served or currently serves in the military, their friends and families, historians, deck collectors, war enthusiasts, and "manly" men. Has this been done before?

Joy to you,
Maralee

Astraea

I have goosebumps, Maralee -- it's a fabulous idea. I am not aware of any decks in which this has been done (but there are others at Aeclectic with a truly encyclopedic knowledge of decks who I hope will see this thread).

My deepest sympathies go to you and your family on your father's passing, as I know that even though it was expected, it is still not easy when our loved ones depart. What a great blessing it was for you to have seen your father in a dream, and for him to have given you such a profound gift of love and continuity!

baba-prague

Dear Maralee,

My condolences. It must be a very sad time for you. I'm so sorry.

I think that to do a deck that would in some way remember your father is a lovely idea. I imagine old photographs tinted in some way - maybe not at all like modern black and white but more subtle in colour. It could be very evocative indeed. Please tell us and show us more when you are ready.

Warm best wishes.

catdoc

My knowlege of tarot decks is far from encyclopedic, but I have not come across a deck of this nature. How thoughtful of your Dad to plant such a seed. Not only will it give you something to focus on as you work through this time of grieving it may also provide the start of a project with which you may honor his life.

War may seem an unlikely theme for a tarot deck, but if I am understanding your preliminary concept correctly, what better backdrop is there for exploring the spectrum of human behavior.
I would guess that within those black and white and sepia toned images you will find tales of comraderie, anxiety, leadership, nobility, grace, joy, despair, ........

Worth some serious though at any rate.
Deb

Lady Eclipse

Astraea said:
I have goosebumps, Maralee -- it's a fabulous idea. I am not aware of any decks in which this has been done (but there are others at Aeclectic with a truly encyclopedic knowledge of decks who I hope will see this thread).

My deepest sympathies go to you and your family on your father's passing, as I know that even though it was expected, it is still not easy when our loved ones depart. What a great blessing it was for you to have seen your father in a dream, and for him to have given you such a profound gift of love and continuity!

Hi Astraea,

Thank you for your thoughts. I know I owe the idea completely to my father. I'm a deck collector but I can't say I know of every deck that's ever been made. I don't recall ever seeing one of this type though.

Again, thank you for your kind words of sympathy. I had talked to my mom 2 hours before. He told her, "I have a bad headache" and collapsed in his chair. He never said anything else. It happened so suddenly. I always knew he would be the first to go and it would be quick but I didn't know for sure when it would be. It happened the day after my birthday but I'm glad it wasn't over the holidays. I think it would be a lot harder that way.

Getting back to the deck...I know it was a gift from him. Yesterday, my mom told me I'm to inherit all of his war items. I had all but forgotten about the albums but those albums are fantastic. They're loaded with wonderful old photos and the albums themselves were hand carved in Japan. I miss him so but I think this deck would be a loving tribute to him as well as to the multitude of brave souls who've served.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse

baba-prague said:
Dear Maralee,

My condolences. It must be a very sad time for you. I'm so sorry.

I think that to do a deck that would in some way remember your father is a lovely idea. I imagine old photographs tinted in some way - maybe not at all like modern black and white but more subtle in colour. It could be very evocative indeed. Please tell us and show us more when you are ready.

Warm best wishes.

Hi baba,

Thank you very much for your kind words. They mean so much to me at this trying time.

You know, that's the way I'm imagining the way the photos should look too. Maybe it's the tint of age but it's not a crisp black and white...but more subtle like you said. I'll have to do a lot of research but my father still has friends living who'd be more than willing to talk about their experiences in Korea. I vividly remember my father's war stories. He spoke often about them for the past decade. It will be awhile before I'm going to have any cards to show but something like this shouldn't be rushed anyway.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse

catdoc said:
My knowlege of tarot decks is far from encyclopedic, but I have not come across a deck of this nature. How thoughtful of your Dad to plant such a seed. Not only will it give you something to focus on as you work through this time of grieving it may also provide the start of a project with which you may honor his life.

War may seem an unlikely theme for a tarot deck, but if I am understanding your preliminary concept correctly, what better backdrop is there for exploring the spectrum of human behavior.
I would guess that within those black and white and sepia toned images you will find tales of comraderie, anxiety, leadership, nobility, grace, joy, despair, ........

Worth some serious though at any rate.
Deb

Hi Deb,

Now I'm crying again! But it's OK, I need to keep letting it out. You're absolutely right, it was very thoughtful of him to plant this seed. I feel so connected to him with this gift he gave me.

The weird thing is, I had put him and my mom in the Catch a Falling Star Tarot earlier last year. I was compelled to make it the Death card but it's called Transition in the deck. At the top of the card, he and my mom are in black and white. Then, there's my husband and me in color in the middle while my son and daughter are at the bottom. My baby daughter, Rhianna, is holding a glowing orb that says "Renewal" within it. I just realized I didn't quite fathom the whole meaning of the card at the time I made it since in my mind, I was showing a transition of the generations. But now, when I look at it, it's showing an even deeper meaning.

You're right, war is all about human behavior and there are so many facets. I think it's going to be a lot like creating a gemstone. Everytime you look at it, there's going to be a different aspect and each facet will have it's own truth in telling the story.

Thanks again for your thoughts and kind words.

Joy to you,
Maralee

HudsonGray

One of the things I found when looking at papers the printers had for card stock was that there were at least two varieties that would qualify for the sepia background. There was a parchment in 'ivory' which was actually a yellowed newspaper look, and a cream marbled type that would work for a deck like this also, so you wouldn't actually have to do the sepia tone to the images, the paper itself would suffice. They ALSO have gray and brown inks, if you wanted it printed in those.

Would you use a 'photo corner' look to each card, with the dark triangles in each corner to give it that old photo book look? And the ragged edge deckling some of the old photos had way back then?

I think it's an excellent idea. Scanning in old photos to transfer, or hand drawing them, or whichever way you were going to go, it would be a very distinctive deck.

Cerulean

A very rich period...

if you don't mind, I hope that I can write a few notes. These are just a few suggestions, and it may not fit in with your ideas...

A pre-Korean War children's book by Francis Carpenter is still available called "Tales from a Korean Grandmother". A lovely series of tales and they may serve as a suit or a background. If there was a used hardback edition on abebooks.com or amazon.com, there's a few beautiful color painted illustrations that I remember from a library edition.

When I was young, we had a grade school project and I used my Dad's very old pictures from his Korean War service to illustrate the report. There were still old gentlemen with dark hats and robes and long beards in some instances. The photos had a silvery or sepia tone. There were no women in the photos--they seemed to have lived more secluded lives according to the folktale accounts, and I think some of the interactions we would see on old television shows such as M*A*S*H* would be very unlikely...

A beautiful and timely project for you--Korea is not always represented well in many Far Eastern art histories and so the East-West interaction sounds rich and insightful and healing. Even though Korea did pay tribute to the old Chinese empire, it was a distinctively fascinating and beautiful culture that U.S. G.I.'s encountered...I once came across, in my father's things, one of those military handbooks where the GI's were briefed about Koreans. My brief recall in the context of the 1950's was this was a vague warning to be respectful and careful of bars, etc....far from the beautiful folktale book by Francis Carpenter...

I wish you well on your very beautiful tribute deck,

Mari H.

Nycelle

This sounds like an incredible idea. The idea of "oldness" - not a word but the English major can't think of another one - and history that the Tarot has would combine really well with the sepia look. I think faded and flaking edges would work well, and add to the idea of history and memory.

I'm not articulating this very well, but the general message is positive - go for it! and I can't wait to see results.