any antique looking decks?

mr.cleo

I was wondering if anyone knew of any decks whose coloring was antique? like the colors look like they've faded from time. I like decks like that. The original Rider Tarot Pack deck is colored like that. sort of like the cards are printed on old newspaper.

jmd

Quote:maximspice (02 Dec, 2001 07:19):
...like the colors look like they've faded from time.

The Visconti-Sforza, Marseilles and 'Classic' all look (and are) antique decks... but the only one I know of which has 'faded' colours is the Heron publication of the 1760 Conver Marseilles deck.

Logiatrix

max,
i highly recommend the visconti tarots--particularly the u.s. games publication; i think it is currently published by llewellyn. however, the u.s. games issue is rougher cut, and isn't so "newish". this is my main deck, and i LOVE it!
also "antique" looking, but very readable, is the renaissance tarot by brian williams. it's absolutely beautiful, and i think, fulfills what you are seeking.
please let us know what you discover...
good luck!

Jeannette

One of the more interesting-looking "antiqued" decks from recent years is a tarot from Japan whose title translates as "Kabbalah Tarot." You can see sample scans of this deck here:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/boutique/images/kabbalahcards.gif

It has the makings of a wonderful reading deck; however, the price for this tarot runs quite a bit higher than your average in-print, mass market tarot. The cards are produced on a very high quality card stock, which probably accounts for some of the extra cost. The majority of the cost, however, is most likely reflected in the books that accompany the cards -- two lovely hardcover books, one providing information on the major arcana cards, the other discussing the minor arcana. Thus, the overall price for the set is reasonable, given what's included and the overall exceptional quality... but be aware that the books are, not surprisingly, written entirely in Japanese (which is not a problem, of course, if you *read* Japanese).

Another odd feature of the Kabbalah deck is that the numbering of several of the major arcana cards is "non-standard." For example, in the samples shown at the link above, you can see that the "Balance" (Justice) card has been numbered as 9 (IX), and the "Devil" card has been numbered as 14 (XIV).

We can special-order this set upon request at Tarot Garden, so if anyone has questions about the Kabbalah set, please feel free to make a post on this thread, or write to me directly at info@tarotgarden.com.

Enjoy the pix!
-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

rigel

You should take a look at The Soprafino, it looks and feels old and
the box is a gem
A lovely deck.