Any methods to stiffen thin card stock?

buddhagoddess

I just got a used but excellent condition copy of the Tarot of Transformation. I had read some reviews on Amazon about how thin the card stock was. They were not exaggerating. Does anyone have a method for making the cards stronger/stiffer without doing harm to the faces? I was thinking of getting peel/stick laminating material, applying it to the back of the card and trimming it. Nothing so thick as a picture ID, but maybe something like a thin acetate material.

Any other suggestions?

BG

fferyllt

Hi buddhagoddess. I have the Tarot of Transformation and the cards are certainly very thin and whippy. They riffle wonderfully, which is nice as they are so large and slippery, and feel more like plastic than card. They are very sturdy. So I just wondered why you wanted to stiffen them.

:)
fferyllt

buddhagoddess

I think I am just concerned about their longevity. I don't read for others often but I would really like to use these at the next psychic fair I do. I usually do the shuffling and let the querent cut. My large Thoth is just about as thin as these. I agree they shuffle nicely. If your cards have some significant mileage on them and hold up well then perhaps I will hold off on trying to stiffen these. Thanks for the input.

BG

fferyllt

I've been using mine daily recently and they still look brand new. A much more likely problem is one of those slippery cards getting away. :)

stella01904

I don't like flimsy card stock either. I still wonder why an uber-cheap pack of playing cards from the dollar store can have decent card stock and a lot of pricey tarot decks don't. I understand you're paying for the art, but how much more trouble would it be to use decent materials?

Okay, off rant now. :)

starrystarrynight

I'd probably try to laminate the backs...but first, I would attempt to find a similar-weight (blank) card stock and try it out on a couple of them cut to the same size as your deck to see if they would then shuffle and deal satisfactorily.

I don't like flimsy stock cards, either.

I wonder if something like a coat of decoupage on each card would work...or maybe would crack with use. Whatever, I would try things out on something I didn't care about first before doing anything to the deck.

Aura Wolf

starrystarrynight said:
I'd probably try to laminate the backs...but first, I would attempt to find a similar-weight (blank) card stock and try it out on a couple of them cut to the same size as your deck to see if they would then shuffle and deal satisfactorily.

I agree, you could try lamination--though I'm wondering if it would help much due to the size of the cards; that is, without a stiff cardstock to begin with, chances are lamination won't solve the problem. It might be worth trying, though.

I have the Tarot of Transformation. Honestly, I've always liked the cardstock. Yes, it is thinner and more flexible than many large tarot decks, but certainly not what I'd call 'flimsy'--due to their sleek coating, the chances of them bending during shuffle or handling are fairly small as long as you're gentle and not shoving them together. I've always found the cardstock to be an asset--with the small hands to big cards ratio, their flexibility has allowed me to shuffle them sideways without struggling to get them to bend or slip together. Either way, I consider them very sturdy--I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Morgan of Avalon

What about clear contact/book covering ? Would add a little weight but not too much, and protect them as you use them.