art nouveau tarot

nexyjo

for the first time in a long time, i used a deck other than the robin wood to do a reading. i used the art nouveau tarot by matt myers. actually, i found it to be an interesting experience.

the first thing i noticed was the card size and thickness. the cards are long and thin, and they seem a bit fragile, as the card stock on which they are printed does not appear to be nearly as thick as the robin wood. this interfered with my usual smooth shuffling, but since the deck was unshuffled when i started, i become used to the difference by the time i layed out my cards. it can't be that different though, as the two decks are almost the same "thickness", when stacked side by side.

also, unlike previous spreads i typically do, this one had a specific purpose. i was looking for current trends in my relationship with my boyfriend. we've been dating for about two months, and i wanted to gain a little insight into where we are headed. frankly, i'm totally in love with him, and thought to intuit how the relationship in general was going. i picked this deck specifically because of the imagery, which for the most part focuses on a man and woman. ok, so i stretched it just a bit...

anyway, i found the spread to be quite positive, so of course, i really like the deck now for love and relationship work. also, i'd forgotten how beautiful the artwork is in this deck. it's a shame about the card stock and size, though i don't see that stopping me from using the deck in the future.

while i remember this deck being mentioned in previous posts, i can't very well remember what was said, or go looking for them for that matter. i'm wondering how others feel about it.

luv and light,
nexy

Maan

hello Nexy

I have this deck fore years and i did try it a couple of times. But there was no connection.

But you have made me thinking. I have neven used it fore a romance related question.
So i will take the deck out of the cupboard and start asking questions about a boy i really like.
Hope it turns out as positive as yours!

Maan

Elphaba

Hi! I've had my eye on this deck since I first saw it at aeclectic! I've finally ordered it and I can hardly wait to get it out of the package. The rich colours of the cards just draw me in. It's too bad they're long and thin though. I have really small hands which makes the shuffling of the longer decks a real nightmare, especially if they're not strong enough to stand up to my clumsy shuffling. I've found this problem with L:Arthurian Tarot as well. I've started to just mix them around on the floor, 52-pickup style. What is your favorite card of the Art Nouveau deck?

nexyjo

i'm not sure i have a favorite yet - i think i need to work with them a bit more before i pick a favorite. i will say i like the minors better than the majors and court cards - each suit kinda tells a story as the cards move higher in number, and in the context of this deck, i really like that. that's not to say i don't like the majors - some of them are quite breathtaking. but no favorite yet...
luv and light,
nexy

wulfshado

I just ordered this deck myself. I stumbled across it quite by 'accident' and fell in love. I also have received guidance that it is an excellent deck to use for relationships not just in the here and now, but for working with your guides/teachers, and for past life work.

Anyone do any of that with the cards?

Logiatrix

nexy,
i wanted so much to connect with this deck, but while it is extremely pretty, there is a "same-ness" about it that puts me off. alas, it remains on my shelf, occasionally freed from it's box to be adored.
i am suprised that you have found another deck besides your robin wood!
:)
wulfshado,
actually, i do use one deck strictly for meditation, visualization and pathworking; a different deck for readings...that's a good topic!
[tauni waddles off to find an empty space for a new topic]

truthsayer

i'm hopelessly in love with the art nouveau, too. i've done some relationship questions w/ it and found it to be better than other decks i've used. i really didn't expect this deck to draw me in like this. in my tarot journal, i described it as being like barbie and ken meet the tarot. :D i really like the minors better than most of my other decks. the cards seem to lack the symbolic depth i've demanded from other decks. for some reason, this doesn't matter w/ this deck. it's not just another pretty deck. :cool: as for the strength of the paper used--if i use it enough to wear it out, i'll buy another! :p there is another art nouveau deck done in pastel colors by another person. it's called the tarot of art nouveau--DUH!! it's on my wish list. ;D

nexyjo

yes, i have the other art nouveau tarot deck as well. actually, i like the artwork better on the other deck, but i find it less useful for readings. i'm not sure why - perhaps because i am so entranced by the artwork, i get lost in looking at the pictures. i suppose one could argue that doing that is a good thing, but at least for now, i don't use it for readings. i did scan a bunch of the cards, and i use the scans for the cover of my tarot journal though :)

also, in light of the turn of events in my relationship with my boyfriend - specificaly that we broke up - i'm not too confident using the matt myers art nouveau deck for readings. i got the distinct impression that my relationship was going well, with nothing but togetherness indicated for the future. and then he goes and breaks up with me. so much for accurate divination...

luv and light,
nexy

truthsayer

Quote:nexyjo (14 Aug, 2001 22:16):
also, in light of the turn of events in my relationship with my boyfriend - specificaly that we broke up - i'm not too confident using the matt myers art nouveau deck for readings. i got the distinct impression that my relationship was going well, with nothing but togetherness indicated for the future. and then he goes and breaks up with me. so much for accurate divination...
luv and light,
nexy

nexy, i'm really sorry that your boy friend broke up with you. i know that you had great expectations for the future w/ the guy. just a thought but i know if i'm really bent on a certain outcome that's what the cards tend to give me. i don't know if they're just showing me what i want to see or the strength of my emotion colors what comes out. perhaps since you felt so strongly about this man, this relationship would have been a good one to have someone else read the cards for you.

i've had good readings w/ the art nouveau cards but these have been on more objective questions or for other ppl. sometimes when something means a lot to me and i get a glowing report from one deck, i'll do a recheck reading w/ a darker deck to make sure the cards weren't just reflecting what i wanted and expected from the relationship. in my case the deck i'd use would be the rohrig. it's definitely not sentimental like the art nouveau.
(((((((((((((((((nexyjo)))))))))))))))))))) hope you feel better about what happened soon. i'll be sending you light.

arizonagirl

NexyJo - I'm so sorry about your boyfriend.

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." from The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran