Astrology in the Classroom---Total Misinformation

horoskope88

Hey everyone,

I'd just like to share an event concerning astrology in my freshman English class today.

We're getting to our unit about Shakespeare, and to enrich us, I guess, about what life was like in those times, we were given handouts about beliefs of the times.

One topic my teacher brought up to lecture the class about was astrology. Now, she is one of my favorite teachers, but it was all I could do to keep from throwing something at her to make her stop trying to "teach us" about astrology with no knowledge of the subject beyond what can be found in a newspaper. I was appalled.

She went on about how people believed that"the stars and signs of the zodiac controlled their lives" and how "different signs ruled different parts of the body." Ok, I thought, so far not too bad.

"The Moon was linked to women, and also to chastity." Eh, ok...I can somewhat understand what you're trying to say.

"Like who's a Scorpio in here?" Oh dear, sun signs again. It never gets beyond sun signs with these people does it...

"Scorpio is the most impulsive of the signs...as to what area of your body it rules...it rules the sexual organs."

Of course, uproar from my freshman class. (Sex jokes and what not.) My teacher then pulled out a list of standard "newspaper traits" of each sign and began to read a few. And i dont know where it was she got it, but it was FAR FAR WORSE than any misinformed-astrology text I have ever come across. ("Ruled by Mars, god of war, Scorpios are violent and radically minded people...are the most impulsive of the signs...")

It wasn't so much that she didn't really have all her facts right (For example, I really didn't expect her to explain how sun signs are not the end of astrology.) but that she had not done ANY worthwhile research on the topic and that she did NOT in the least bit try to talk about astrology in a good light (that is, as a respectable study)...feeding into the media stereotype of astrology as a tool for scamming money form the simpleminded.

Oh, and the best part was hearing what my peers had to say.

"Damn, I'm five days off from being a sexual Scorpio"
"whenever you get a prostitute, make sure she's a Scorpio"
"they word it all in a way that they cant possibly be wrong; its all fake"

And when I tell a few people that i study astrology as its meant to be studied and ask if theyd like to have their natal chart interpreted in a worthwhile fashion..."I dont see why, Im a Scorpio so itll say im a slut anyways..."

The level of misinformation concerning astrology and tarot is horrendous.
In the very least, this incident in the classroom has given me more resolve to form a New age study group at my school.

Any comments or opinions?

Minderwiz

It takes a lot of courage to point out to such people that they don't really understand what they are talking about, especially in the situation that you were in. The best approach is to ask some arkward questions, and gradually expose the ignorance without actually becoming too confrontational.

Also the view of Astrology in the Sixteenth Century was somewhat different than it is now, the emphasis on Sun signs just wasn't there, though of course the Sun as a planet was regarded as the most important. Did she mention any Astrologers of the period (such as John Dee)? Did she draw on their work or the work of the Arab Scholars that they used as sources? If this is an academic course on Shakespeare then even the background on the culture of the day should be treated academically. She not only does Astrology no service but she does herself no good - if this area of her course rests on inadequate research then what does that say about the rest of it?

Incidentally Mars rules Scorpio in part to cool down the impulsiveness of the planet - Mars in Aries is much more impulsive!

horoskope88

This was not meant to be a comprehensive lecture on astrology in the 16th century by any means. I think it was just (in her mind) a "fun lil' talk" on a topic in which "the kids'll be interested in"..nothing serious or in depth, and I doubt we will be tested on it on the final.

As such, I doubt we'll be discussing astrology anymore in class, except for a few snickers and jokes directed at astrology made by the students in the days following the discussion.

That's rather unfortunate, actually, because I'm planning if she makes another misinformed remark on the topic to the class, I WILL make a fuss about it in front of everyone.

Oh yes...that reminds me...

"Pisces is ruled by both Neptune and Jupiter...hmm, let's see, I know Jupiter means power, no clue what Neptune is, but I'm guessing its not very good to have both of them..." My mouth fell open when she said this...

And as for when she talked about Scorpio being the most impulsive of the signs because of Mars...the first thought in my mind was "wait...Mars in Aries is so much more impulsive.." too! Because of Pluto, Scorpio has so much more control, no?

I'm planning on talking to her about her astrology lecture within the week...I can't stand the thought of her giving the same lecture to another class....

miss_apples

In time you are going to run into a lot of people who are going to rub you the wrong way when they discuss subjects that you care deeply about. Personally when I run into situations like this i try and take it with a grain of salt and just say "yeah whatever" and walk away...I just feel that if I get upset at everytime I hear someone misquoting something or explaining things in a manner that may be wrong, then Id spend my life being a very angry person.

TemperanceAngel

horoskope88,
I really like having you around the boards, you push buttons and ask questions and don't accept what you are being taught, and why should you?
Were you born in '88?
Is that why you have it in your name?
I think that was the year of the Snake, one of my favorite years ever....
Keep on questioning what people say, there should be more people like you in the new generations :D :D :D
Individualism is wonderful....
XTAX

Minderwiz

If you do tackle her on the subject be careful. Firstly the idea of putting in some Astrology to give a flavour of the period may be good, especially as Shakespeare does have a number of Astrological references.

However it wouldn't be a flavour of the period based on 21st Century Sun sign columns. So tell her you would be interested in finding out more about what they thought of Astrology in the Sixteenth Centure and would she be interested in using your findings the next time she uses that approach.

That way you can give her much more accurate information without appearing to 'correct' her errors. If she feels that she has stimulated you to find out and then a little later gets the real information, she's much more likely to be receptive to it, especially if she feels that her idea set your research going.

Then in your 'research' you can gently point out that Sixteenth Century people didn't know about Neptune (or Uranus or Pluto), that they believed that Scorpio ruled the sex organs in terms of the mechanics, not the emotions; that Sixteenth Century Astrologers classified people as Melancholic, Choleric, Phlegmatic or Sanguine (based on the Earth, Fire, Water and Air Triplicities) rather than Scorpio or Aries. You look how often these terms turn up in Shakespeare.

Also you might point out that Astrologers spent relatively little time on nativities (too few people knew their birth details) and a lot more time on horaries and mundane work (questions such as where's my lost cat? and Will the Spanish invade?)

That way perhaps next year's students might get a really interesting lecture and if you let it be known that you were the source of her research you will find your stock rising!

bunnyhop

i see an extra credit project in the mix...if you're willing

ncefafn

Oy, child, you have my sympathy! (And please don't take offense at my use of the word "child," I use it with my contemporaries too.) I think my head would have exploded at the reference to Scorpios being impulsive! If any sign exemplified Machiavellian thoughtfulness, it's Scorpio.

However, bear in mind that this is the sort of attitude you can expect from the general public whatever domain you find yourself in, school, business, society. People, especially in America, have no hesitation in spouting off on subjects about which they know nothing, and others (even more especially in America) are willing to accept whatever they hear as gospel truth.

And it could always be worse. Your teacher could be like my 7th grade teacher who wrote this on the chalkboard:

O my luve is like a red, red rose
That's new sprung in June
O my luve is like a sad, sad song
That's sweetly played in tune.

And then told us it was written by Shakespeare. <sigh> When I politely told her that no, it was in fact written by Burns, and refused to back down on the subject, she sent me to the principal's office. So, hopefully, your teacher at least knows something about the subject which she's supposed to be teaching.

My sincere condolences,

Kim