Audition Spread for Performers

Lord Pulsar

Not sure if anyone's done this before, but I feel like it could be unique. This is my first spread; hope someone likes it!

I'm an actor, and I thought it might be nice to have a spread to deal with the anxiety and emotions that run through one's head before a big audition. 'Cause Lordy Lordy can auditions be scary. Not all, obviously - some can be fun. But there are some, say, when you're auditioning at a brand new company in a brand new town, that can be truly terrifying. But! I'm sure the Tarot can help! So here's this spread I made up. I tried to sorta cleverly replicate the feel of an audition room in the concept.

-----1(7)-------
----------2-----
---4--5(8)--6---
-----3(9)------

1: You, what kind of performer you are, your essence, what you bring into the room.

2: This one's placed sideways, and I call it the Piano. It's the material you've brought in, the preparation you've done, the tools you're using to make an impression. Since it's crossed, it has the potential to block your energy and work against you - everyone's had a cranky accompanist or a song he/ she didn't really love. So it's important that cards 1 and 2 work in some kinda harmony. Conflicting elements might be useful to analyze here.

3: The role or position you want and how you feel about it. How you'll feel if you get what you want. Could be useful to compare 1 and 3 - if they're stark opposites, you might want to reconsider your goals! Unless you really want to venture into new territory and challenge yourself. Actually, that'd probably be more fulfilling. Don't listen to me.

4-6 represent the Audition Panel. Y'know, like American Idol. And, in a way, this is the challenge you must literally pass through to claim that part you want. Of course there might be anywhere from 1-100 people judging your audition, but the Panel here just represents how the audition atmosphere will feel to you. So:

4: What will encourage you, what you'll see in the waiting room and in front of the judges that will inspire you to do your best. What fits into your routine, what you're used to, what they'll have you do that you do best. Or, just what the judges are looking for.

5: What may discourage you, what might make you slip up or get nervous. Maybe everyone sings the same song as you, maybe you do the wrong moves in the combination. Or maybe the judges just want their lunch break. This shouldn't make you wanna give up; rather, it should give you something to watch out for before you go into the room.

6: What will surprise you, whether they give you a redirection or you decide on a new song at the last minute. Or maybe they run things in a completely different way then you're used to. Sort of a wild card. I'd look at it as the most important of the panel cards - because after all, performing is about being original and unique. The better you can adapt to the curveballs they throw at you, the more they'll appreciate your energy.

7-9 are to be placed on top of cards 1, 5, and 3, respectively. They should be placed and interpreted AFTER you've analyzed cards 1-6. Very important. 1-6 are pre-audition, 7-9 are after.

7: How you think you did. What strengths you feel like you showed, what weaknesses you think you let slip. Again, compare this with 1 and 3, noting how the three characters play off each other. You before and after, and the role you desire.

8: How they saw you. What they noted about you, what they thought you might be good for. Not necessarily just about your performance, but also how they felt about you as a person. Note: When I just did this, I got the Three of Pentacles, which I always associate with "the perfect man for the job." Woohoo!

9: The outcome! Where you'll find your name on the cast list. If you get a court card, that almost certainly means you're cast. Or you could get a card that represents rejection... or a good start... or a callback... in which case I suppose you'd have to do it again : )

That's all! I've considered a few expansions, including Headshot and Resume (first impression, your past and how it's gotten you here), but for now I'm content with this. Tell me what you think! Revisions are very welcome... Thanks!