BBCats 2nd edition reprint

Caristia

Starting a new thread here so as to avoid going off topic in the other one.

Does anybody here know the details of the BBCats second edition reprint/reissue? I'm wondering if it will be identical to the one that was released in 2007 or if any changes have been made.

I'm trying to decide if I should pre-order it or try to obtain a "pre-loved" (is that the right term?) copy of the 2007 second edition.

Le Fanu

I didn't even know a 3rd edition was coming until someone mentioned it in another thread. I know Karen has said that the BBC was always one which was due for a reprint but I didn't know it was the 2nd edition redone. Didn't know anything in fact.

However, you know how they always love to make changes. It won't be the 2nd edition per se, that much I would bet on.

It's all part of the constant refining of their work! I think it's great that they do this.

Oh and I think you might as well pre-order. The 2007 edition is hard to come by.

baba-prague

Thanks Le Fanu. We actually don't know any details ourselves yet. We have one urgent publishing project to complete (not tarot) then we will get on to this. I can't see it being out before spring 2011, though it will be earlier if we can manage it.

We did a lot of changes between the first and second editions, so we are pretty much happy with the second edition. There will be changes, but I think nothing very much - the card images on the reprint will largely be the same. The packaging will be quite different - we are going for the hinged strong box again.

By the way, I ought maybe to add that the Bohemian Cats work has very definitely been refined and is changing (the publishing project is BohoCats but in quite a different style). After all, it's about six years since we originally did the deck. However, to change the entire deck to the new style would be more or less like making a whole new deck, so that's why it's likely we will largely leave it alone.

I suppose we are finding that when you go back to work two or three years later, you want to make a lot of changes. But when you revisit it six or seven years later, then often it's impossible - just because things have evolved so much.

Libra8ca

baba-prague said:
We did a lot of changes between the first and second editions, so we are pretty much happy with the second edition. There will be changes, but I think nothing very much - the card images on the reprint will largely be the same. The packaging will be quite different - we are going for the hinged strong box again.
That sounds lovely! Maybe there will be some special decks with gold-gilt edges (I guess you would have to call that brass or bronze }))

Aerin

baba-prague said:
There will be changes, but I think nothing very much - the card images on the reprint will largely be the same.

Stripy dress???? Best of both worlds ;)

*runs before gregory catches her*

I have all the BBCs and the deck reads very well indeed as it is.

AJ

I'd a million times prefer seeing your working on new projects over reworking old projects, just my 2 cents :)

Caristia

Le Fanu said:
I think you might as well pre-order. The 2007 edition is hard to come by.

That sounded like an excellent idea. I went to the site to place my pre-order, but by the time I calculated the exchange rate, international delivery, etc., it turned out to be about the same as what I've seen 2007 second editions selling for these days, perhaps even more.

Maybe I'll post an ISO message in the trading section and see what happens.

baba-prague said:
I can't see it being out before spring 2011, though it will be earlier if we can manage it.

Uh oh. The pre-order page had an estimated delivery date in October 2010. I don't know what's going on with that, but I'm glad I decided not to pounce on the opportunity just yet.

baba-prague said:
There will be changes, but I think nothing very much - the card images on the reprint will largely be the same. The packaging will be quite different - we are going for the hinged strong box again.

Thank you for the clarification. It's good to know that the images won't be radically different. I'm sure I will be very happy with whatever second edition I end up getting. I'm just afraid I'll want both :)

baba-prague said:
By the way, I ought maybe to add that the Bohemian Cats work has very definitely been refined and is changing (the publishing project is BohoCats but in quite a different style).

This is so exciting! I only recently discovered the BBCats and can't seem to get enough of them. I'm sure whatever you come up with is going to be wonderful.

baba-prague

Caristia said:
Uh oh. The pre-order page had an estimated delivery date in October 2010. I don't know what's going on with that, but I'm glad I decided not to pounce on the opportunity just yet.

There is no pre-order page on our sites. Please can you tell me where you are finding this? We certainly haven't put up any pre-order. It's far too early. Please do post the link and I will check it.

As for pricing. Well, even I don't know how much this deck will be, so I am very curious where this information is coming from! ;)

Caristia

I apologise for any confusion. I did not see this on your site. It was an online bookstore in Germany (www.libri.de).

Here is a link to the translated page so you can see exactly what I saw:

http://tinyurl.com/326z7b7

Hopefully you understand more German than I do. Perhaps there was an error in the translation.

I should also mention that I don't see anything to indicate that this is the new edition. That was an error on my part. I was so excited about the possibility of purchasing a second edition that I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Maybe a supply of NOS 2007 decks has been discovered and this shop is accepting pre-orders in anticipation of their arrival.

In any case, I'm very sorry if caused anyone any anxiety (besides myself :)).

Le Fanu

That's the first edition and it has probably been badly translated as "when we think we'll get it in stock again"

Of course they're wrong...