Becoming depentent on tarot

Mateo06

Has anyone ever thought they have become to depentent on tarot? i think i have just today something went wrong (i hadn't done my daily reading) and i just wanted to run home and see what the tarot had to say about it. And when any big decision comes or someone mentions anything like a decision i say to myself, Oh i should do a reading before i decide. I don't htink i like this. I liked being able to make decisions by myself and not caring about the circumstances.

Kiama

For me, Tarot is just another way of examining my own feelings about a situation up close and personal. Often, what I see in the cards is no surprise, cuz I already know what they are telling me! Its just that they make my feelings clearer.

When I have to make a decision, I usually have some idea what I will decide anyway, but sometimes I will read the cards and look closer at how I feel, really thinking about the decision and my feelings. It just clarifies.

I don't think I am dependent on Tarot to make decisions: There are plenty I make without any other guidance but myself. When you say you feel as though you are dependent on Tarot, I think it would be easier if we knew how you see Tarot. Do you, like me, see it as a reflection of your subconscious and your feelings? If so, then you are no making decisions based on what something else is saying, you are making the decision based on what you are feeling. However, it does all depend on how you use an see the Tarot.

Hope this helps a bit!

Kiama

.dc

i'd have to agree with kiama. when used as a tool for exploration into your feelings you cannot become codependant on the cards. as long as you use tarot to help you make a choice or weigh decisions you cannot do anything wrong or against your will.

however, i do believe that people CAN become dependant on the cards. I have done readings for people who refused to see or reflect or act upon the results of a reading. Instead of using the tools to further their self or as a means to probe into decision making, they'd go around and around and try to get the cards to do things they wanted to be "truth" or "reality" instead of allowing the cards to intuitively help them create what they wanted. they are not open to solving their problems, instead they are seeking new ways to blame outside forces for their "conditions".

i have also seen readers who have clients who repeatedly come to them for the same answer, over and over. these people may listen to what is said, take heed and seem interested in changing their mode or life during the reading but once they are out of the room, they forget to act upon it. To me, this is also a form of codependancy on the cards as well as a great money waster. I cannot understand why someone would want to waste money on a half hour reading without wanting to gain something back in return.

there is no black and white answer here, but to me... as long as you are willing to listen to the cards and heed their advice or use them to positively move yourself into ways you want to grow, you are using the tarot constructively. but if you over use them, by repeatedly asking the same question over and over; or abusing them by having readings done for you but not participating in what they have to say then you are dependant on the cards.

blessed be,
.dc

tarotbear

When you are new to Tarot, it is quite easy to have it become the " All-Knowing, All-seeing, correct and absolute answer to all your questions every-single-time oracle". It is not. Tarot is a tool.

Many times my mother has asked me ' Do you RUN your life with this stuff?" The answer is...NO.

Oh, I am steeped up to my butt in Tarot. I spend anywhere from one to three hours per day here on Aeclectic, reading, typing, learning, editing. I get a one-card reading sent to me daily from an independent , non-biased source. Today's one-card reading said that work today will probably be a challenge. Did I sit there and say " OH NO! MY BOSS IS GONNA CHEW MY ASS OFF TODAY!". Hardly. I said to myself that the prediction is not written in stone; maybe today will be a challenge- face that challenge head-on. If it gets rough, remember, you were warned....so deal with it accordingly. If it gets rough, say " Well, I was warned about this, so it should not throw me for a loop." That is what Tarot is for. { My card for today was a reversed Sun}

Maybe your card for the day said that it was going to be a goodie-goodie-gumdrops day, and you walked out of the supermarket and found someone scratched your fender. Did the cards lie? NO. Since the cards told you it would be a good day, screaming and jumping up and down and cursing the sky about your bad luck is stupid, too. Chill out and learn to deal with the problem-- dealing may be the lesson for the day.

I look to Tarot for guidence, help, and clarification for things, but if you have to ask the cards if you should wear a sweater or carry an umbrella when all you have to do is look out the front door, then you are addicted to tarot, and a prime candidate to abuse it, too.

Get a perspective.

glamourbug

I seem to go in the completely oppostie direction. I often worry that i will start to be too dependant on my cards and so i hardly ever do readings. i often want to sit down and read with my cards but then think i should just sort things out for myself or just use common sense to understand myself. I probably let myself do eight readings a year or something like that.

Lisa

Pollux

glamourbug: you do go in the opposite direction.
I tend to think that opposites, extremes, are both negative: either way is conditioning your self - think about the Devil Card!!! ;D

Mateo06: It's not much you've been around, but you have been raising some difficult and specific problems: Tarots as a sin, Tarot and disgust, Tarot and addiction...
Now my only advice is: TAKE IT EASY!!! :D
No one is after you, so why don't you really try to ease off, and sort out your problems slowly, naturally, letting things settle down?
Your relationships with Tarots is NOT harmoniuous - I hope you'll concede me that. So why don't you try to fix your attitude first? Then, all the problems will be seen in a new perspective... I Hope. :)

I think your impact has been quite... difficult.
IMHO, you should try to do without the cards sometimes. Tarot is beautiful, is fun, I know, and all of us agree. But you still have to realise this, probably. It's a Tool, a Mirror, a Door to another Dimension... but it's you who MASTER it, not the other way around. :)
Try to understand what it really is to you, how you want it to work, where you want it to lead you...
Afterwards, once you've figured out what you are doing, clearly, you won't feel disgust, sin or addiction... You will manage to see things otherwise. And maybe, you'll feel you have to "respect" the cards a different way :)

For example, why don't you take "days off"?
Of course, Tarot is not bad, AT ALL.
But if you really can't walk up a step without laying out cards, something must be done.

Try to be more natural, go with the flow.
Understand what feels right for YOU - hell!
After this, even if you'll have hundreds of spread a day, at least you'll know it is not addiction - it's what you like, and want to - and you will manage to make your time with Tarots a sacred and constructive, yet fun and relaxing experience. :)

Jewel

Quote:tarotbear (13 Feb, 2002 15:51):
Many times my mother has asked me ' Do you RUN your life with this stuff?" The answer is...NO.

Oh, I am steeped up to my butt in Tarot. I spend anywhere from one to three hours per day here on Aeclectic, reading, typing, learning, editing.

I look to Tarot for guidence, help, and clarification for things, but if you have to ask the cards if you should wear a sweater or carry an umbrella when all you have to do is look out the front door, then you are addicted to tarot, and a prime candidate to abuse it, too.

Get a perspective.

I totally agree with you Tarotbear ... do we have the same mom? *LOL* ... I share the same perspective as you (Tarotbear) do about this. Like you I am very deep into Tarot and spend usually 3-6 hours a day (some times more) on Tarot stuff, whether learning, browsing, reading, etc. My daily (or when I get around it to it) card of the day I actually draw at night to contemplate on how it reflects the events of the day.

Mateo, perhaps you should consider using your cards for other things than readings for a while. Personally one of the things I do the least is actual readings. I just get busy with all of the other things I can do with the Tarot. For example you can meditate on individual cards; you can select various cards and write a story based on them; you can trace favorite cards and then color them; you can just simply look through them, pull out the ones that catch your attention narrow them down to 3 to 5 cards and look within yourself to see why you are drawn to those; you can write poetry about them and your relationship to the cards ... or as others pointed out, you can take a break.

Good luck ...

Mateo06

Poetry, i like poetry i'll try that maybe some other time, but i think right now i want to learn the meangings of the cards and just be able to do good readings. What helped me was some one told me to actually look at the card and the first thin u see in the card relate it to the meaning, I did a reading to find out why someone was spreading rumors about and i think its the most accurate reading i did for myelf. the one thing that stood out was the King of pents reversed, I saw a branch over his head and it looked like it was gona fall on him, so i think something is gona fall on me, more likely to do with greed, Well thanks for all ur help. I think i'll take a break or maybe not, i am not sure yet, i really dont' want to take a break. But maybe just to relaxe woudl be beneficial too.

Jewel

Quote:Mateo06 (14 Feb, 2002 06:33):
Poetry, i like poetry i'll try that maybe some other time, but i think right now i want to learn the meangings of the cards and just be able to do good readings.

Did you ever consider that through writting poetry about them you might gain insight into the meanings of the cards?

Love & Light,