Best Bets

pasara

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what are the best cafes/businesses etc to approach about reading in? In the previous town I had a good feel for where the request would go over well and be considered, but here in this city I am not so sure. The places I can think of already have readers. I am wondering if I am being too restrictive or cliche in my thinking of who would or would not be open to it. How would you evaluate what businesses are worthwhile to approach? Thanks for your thoughts.

214red

to be honest i would try local places you go to and see the vibe, also bring your cards and play with them and see if they are curious.

I am of the school of thought that says you can do tarot anywhere, so if there is customers then there is an opportunity. a less risky way is to ask if you can put up your card on their notice board or simply leave of your cards there, often it will start a conversation

Umbrae

Well, "in transition back" is a dreadful location. None of the restaurants or bars are open to the...what?

Seriously, location is everthing. Where you are in the world means a lot to answer the question. If you're in Spain, you grab your cards, go out into the city and begin shuffling whereever you go. Results will pile upon you.

If you're in Tehran, get as far away as possible before you pull out that deck.

Paris? Same as Spain. Paris Texas? not so much.

Baroli and I were in a gin-bin just the other day, wouldn't have thought to read there (still wouldn't ), but we're chatting away (a new deck in front of us), and before the night was through I was giving out a card and directions to get to where I read on Tuesdays...

In all seriousness - ya gotta have the gumption to have that deck visible wherever you go. not just sitting there, but flipping the cards. Were Baroli and I both paying attention to the cards as they flipped? not really - that's not why they were out.

anyways - get real. open up to where 'in transition back' is... where IS your location, midwest? be visible. In the south? Be visible. In the north? Be visible. In a hardcore Islamic country where the death sentence will be pronounced - be subtle.

214red

Umbrae has a point, and you know the location better then us.

texas is great for a tarot, especially with an english accent, same with nashville...lol

i must admit i moved location so have other places to frequent and put myself out and about at:)

I was out sat lunchtime watching rugby, showed my friend my new sensual wicca cards over a glass of vino. carried on chatting and the cards were there and before we knew it we had a succession of rugby fans coming from readings (i did one card from each deck). They loved the readings as they waffle free, i got alot of referrals and a few drinks...life is good:) it did help that all of the guys were fairly attractive which was nice

pasara

thanks for your replies. I guess what I'm asking is, what is that "vibe" you mention exactly? I have in the past made connections by word of mouth or already knowing the owner or manager of a place so that not a cold call. Where I am now I would like to begin to network in a new way, expand things, including my own idea of where that "vibe" might be. I understand the idea of keeping the cards visible, but wonder what people look for as far as better prospects for businesses to regularly read in.

theora

I would say, do a little recon. Go and check out places you think could have potential, see how it feels there. Is it a welcoming, independent coffeehouse with sun and couches, where they don't hustle the customers along? Go with a friend, have coffee, bring your cards and read a bit, for your friend. If it feels good, maybe ask to talk to manager and see if it's ok to set up and read on a regular basis. Offering to read for the manager so they can see you in action is a good idea. Someplace like a bar, you might not even need to ask, just go do it and see how it goes. Pay attention and see what the vibe is like when you walk in, and again, the first time bring a friend and read casually for the friend. The reaction to that (if any) will tell you a lot.

Someone once advised me to offer to do a party as a prize when someone you know is doing fundraising. You can hand out your cards (and drum up individual business) and also possibly get paid parties out of it.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!