best books on runes?

amethyst57

besides their LWB's...
what books are the best for all 33 runes' meanings and further study?

crystal dawn

the complete illustrated guide to runes by nigel pennick covers them all. Also a practical guide to runes by simon lily, - he covers them all except the last one gar which is not mentioned at all in his book for some reason, but he does describe all the runes in the 4 aetts.

blessed be

crystal dawn

amethyst57

the study thread is interesting...but the book links don't work :-/

gonna have to get pennick's book soon....looks good at amazon....

seems anything about Gar is elusive...one site makes it sound like it's power rune,
an amplifier of the others in a reading...
another compares it to the blank rune, a not-to-be-known-yet rune....

crystal dawn

Gar

yes it is a rather mysterious rune. It belongs to no aett and stands alone outside the other 4 aetts, and as odins spear represents a combination of all the runes and in a reading it brings about a brand new order of things, a new way of seeing things,new beginning. In runic rituals it was used as a seal. So yes it is a very powerful rune.

blessed be

crystal dawn

sapienza

I really like 'The Runes of Elfland' by Ari Berk and Brian Froud for something different too.

FenestraThought

I use "Ralph H. Blum"'s book, though not his Runes. I made my own set of runes years ago, but never had a book for them, so they just sat around my alter forever. Then a friend of mine was cleaning out her old books and I acquired his book that goes with his box set. It all kinda' worked out lol.

caridwen

the study thread is interesting...but the book links don't work :-/

gonna have to get pennick's book soon....looks good at amazon....

seems anything about Gar is elusive...one site makes it sound like it's power rune,
an amplifier of the others in a reading...
another compares it to the blank rune, a not-to-be-known-yet rune....

Gar?!:bugeyed: What is Gar precious?