Best Devil card?

Le Fanu

Let me see, erm not the Robin Wood one. In fact, any Devil cards with overtones of "don't shop too much" bothers me.

I'll second the Morgan Greer one. So 70s horror flick. I think of Hammer Horror films and naked covens around bonfires.

I look at that card and think "that's how religious types see tarot" and I chuckle.

Carla

Let me see, erm not the Robin Wood one. In fact, any Devil cards with overtones of "don't shop too much" bothers me.

I'll second the Morgan Greer one. So 70s horror flick. I think of Hammer Horror films and naked covens around bonfires.

I look at that card and think "that's how religious types see tarot" and I chuckle.

Ha, you'll have to third Morgan Greer, I already seconded it--and precisely because it reminds me of flicks like 'The Devil Rides Out'. What a movie! Check out the ceremony scene, where the old Goat of Mendes himself makes an appearance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsIKDDNT0ww

GryffinSong

Most Devil cards don't do anything for me. Surprisingly, the Devil card in the Dreaming Way finally says bondage to me in a clear way. The devil herself is in a kind of straightjacket, showing how even she is caught in bondage to her habits.

As for temptation, most devil cards don't even come close to saying that to me. The legacy of the divine does manage to capture many of the meanings. I don't have the deck, but that card's quite lovely and powerful.

magpie9

I especially love the devil card in the Spiral, holding up the mirror is a stroke of genius.

velvetina

for me, the most unpleasant devil (& isn't that the point?) is the Waite-Smith one with his nasty flesh-toned mindless face..but I quite agree about the Morgan Greer - there's certainly an accompanying scent of brimstone with him!

but let's not forget the Marseilles devil! you can just tell he's been up all night frolicking with witches, curdling the milk & encouraging you to covet your neighbour's wide screen TV.

Le Fanu

but let's not forget the Marseilles devil! you can just tell he's been up all night frolicking with witches, curdling the milk & encouraging you to covet your neighbour's wide screen TV.
:D yes, and with faces in his belly too. And I'd forgotten about the Spiral one. Yes, that mirror. I'm surprised it hasn't been copied more.

Wooden Nickel mentioned the Mary-El. That 9 of Disks Baphomet card is indeed much more devilish than Trump XV. I can't actually picture the Mary-El devil (must go off and check my deck). The Baphomet one has a far greater impact.

I also love the Navigators one. Such a druggy vibe

linnie

I don't know what it is, but The Devil (Pan) in Tarot of the Sidhe really elicits a reponse in me that is more one of potential guilt or being made answerable than one of fear/dread of some outside horror elicited from more traditional decks. Perhaps that's because I don't believe in a Devil, but I do acknowledge that I, like most people, am very human and are prone to human weaknesses on occasion. :):):)

krystalkitty

I love the housewives tarot devil card with all the possible temptations and really brings home that you have the choice... addictions.. vices...