Books on crystals?

firefrost

Apologies If I'm not looking properly, but I've not seen anything about books mentioned.

Can anyone tell me if The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall is the best book to get for viewing the crystals?

I've bought quite a few this weekend and although I got
them for specific healing purposes, I know I'll forget what they are soon.

And yes, I got a memory one - I just can't remember which one it is...!

Hils :)

willowfox

Check out some of the books written by Michael Gienger about crystal healing.

firefrost

Thanks for this, willowfox, I'll look into them.

sharpchick

firefrost said:
Apologies If I'm not looking properly, but I've not seen anything about books mentioned.

Can anyone tell me if The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall is the best book to get for viewing the crystals?

I've bought quite a few this weekend and although I got
them for specific healing purposes, I know I'll forget what they are soon.

And yes, I got a memory one - I just can't remember which one it is...!

I love Judy's book - I use it for a quick reference and it is quite dog earred and marked up now. I prefer a crystal identification book arranged like hers in alphabetical order.

firefrost

I won it on ebay yesterday, sharpchick, :D eagerly awaiting it now.

willowfox - the Michael Gienger books look brilliant - thanks very much. I think the pocket one will be one of the first to be bought.

sleepingcat

Get a nice field mineral manual too, or you'll get that one rock and be at your wits end trying to figure out what it is in any of Hall's books.

Mom and I own three of her books, and they are our go to.

*that being said*

I have heard some complaints that sometimes the images are mis-matched, or poor reprensations of the actual mineral. For example, all her publishers seem to make the rose quartz OMG pink! and could confuse some one with a naturally paler stone.

I looooove her Crystal Encylopedia. It's sorted by color, so it's perfect when you stare down at your collection and go "..huh. I dont have any red rocks" and tada- now you have a whole section of red rocks listed to peruse. : 3

But yeah, if you dont mind being sent to look up the healing properties on your own, a field manual is the way to go. If you havent been up on your geology and organic chemestry, there's manuals that have wonderfully clear introductions on what a Monoclinic Prasmatic is, or what they mean when they refer to the cleavage, luster and hardness.

Then when you have the name, you can look it up in a healing refrence so much more easily. : 3 I'll look up the name of the one I've got that I really like when I get home. Webmineral.com is a huge go-to as well. ^_^

BodhiSeed

sleepingcat said:
But yeah, if you dont mind being sent to look up the healing properties on your own, a field manual is the way to go. If you havent been up on your geology and organic chemestry, there's manuals that have wonderfully clear introductions on what a Monoclinic Prasmatic is, or what they mean when they refer to the cleavage, luster and hardness.

Sleepingcat, I would LOVE a recommendation for a field manual. I've got all kinds of crystal books, but no field manuals. I'd especially like one that's easy to understand! :D
Thanks!
Bodhran

firefrost

Thank you sleepingcat and MCsea - I'm off out this afternoon to have a look round the bookshops.

I love the look of the Complete Guide to Crystal Astrology one. I can't grasp astrology, too complicated for me and if something can show me it from another angle...Definitely on my 'must have' list.

Thanks!

MorningGlory

I have been reading a great book called The Book of Stones by Robert Simmons & Naisha Ahsian, it has a lot of insight about stones and their purposes. The book is in alphabetical order and each of the writers have their own section with each stone, Robert Simmons is a studier of stones and Naisha Ahsian is a healer, so it is awesome to get each one's perspective on the stones.